Quantcast

Beer for this weekend? Barley Wine Anyone?

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
I know that St. Patty's Day is nearly upon us (you go, MMcG :p ), but March makes me think of Barley Wine.

Got me a 6 of Sierra Bigfoot, and a 6 of Brooklyn Monster.
This stuff changes year to year, but typically I find the Bigfoot a little sweeter, and the Brooklyn a bit more alcoholic, and bitter.
Today i plan to pick up a 6 of Victory's Old Horizontal - one that I've only had on tap before this.

Anyone else drink this stuff? Got any suggestions for one I might not have tried?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Oh, the Old Horizontal is good!

The North Coast Old Stock is nice and chewy...I may have to break one out if it rains all weekend.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Cansomeone give me a run down of what barley wine is? I'm thinking a beer that you drink with a knife and fork.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
valve bouncer said:
Cansomeone give me a run down of what barley wine is? I'm thinking a beer that you drink with a knife and fork.
I've made a few barley wines also called Baume Ale. It is a strooong beer, we used 2-3 times the ingredients of a regular beer, fermented with champagne yeast that could handle high levels of alcahol. When first brewed it tastes like a stout mixed with a bitter IPA with a couple shots of cheap whiskey thrown in, very harsh. After aging for about 6 months it still tasted strong but smoothed out a lot, after a year it was very smooth. The last batch we made had an ABV of about 13% :eek: .

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
valve bouncer said:
From Wikipedia.

Barley wine is an English-style of ale characterized by a high original gravity, resulting in a high alcohol content, more typical of a wine than a beer (10% by volume is typical). This requires special yeast with a higher tolerance for alcohol. Barley wines are often full-bodied, highly hopped, with a residual malty sweet character. They can vary in color from a light copper to a deep brown. Barley wines can often improve in bottle for years.