Quantcast

Beer/recommendations for my wedding

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
So I'm getting married pretty soon here and its time to figure out the most important component! So I'm contemplating what to get for 75-100 guests.

One 13.5-15.5g keg.
One case of red wine, probably a Cabernet.
One case of white wine, chardonnay?

Here's the beer options I'm currently looking at.
Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale
Lost Coast Brewing Downtown Brown
Humboldt Brewing Hemp Ale
New Belgium Brewing Ranger IPA

My personal tastes are towards strong IPA's aren't probably going to work for a lot of other folks tastes:rant: And a really good Belgian beer will cost too much money. I'm not doing a white or hef though, its just too.... boring. Throw out some suggestions folks!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Hellyeah, man. CONGRATS!!!!!!

The first two will prolly be enjoyed by everyone....even the bud drinkers. the hemp ale sounds good. never trued it though.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
So I'm getting married pretty soon here and its time to figure out the most important component! So I'm contemplating what to get for 75-100 guests.

One 13.5-15.5g keg.
One case of red wine, probably a Cabernet.
One case of white wine, chardonnay?

Here's the beer options I'm currently looking at.
Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale
Lost Coast Brewing Downtown Brown
Humboldt Brewing Hemp Ale
New Belgium Brewing Ranger IPA

My personal tastes are towards strong IPA's aren't probably going to work for a lot of other folks tastes:rant: And a really good Belgian beer will cost too much money. I'm not doing a white or hef though, its just too.... boring. Throw out some suggestions folks!
We had about 85 people show up for our wedding and our alcohol output was thus:

Killed a keg (a golden ale) plus a pony (an amber)
3 Cases of white wine
2 Cases of red wine

Dunno how much your friends drink (no one was supremely wasted save me) so it's relative.

I'd think that the AV would be the best choice for the majority (out of your selections). Is North Coast an option? Firestone Walker is awesome...I don't think that Lagunitas makes a bad beer...

My .02

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Firestone is a definite option, its brewed rather close to here. As such its not quite as 'special' I guess. But double barrel and pale 31 are tasty and drinkable, that could happen.

North Coast? Not sure, but Keg and bottle can get almost anything it seems. I like Red Seal too, might be too hoppy for the bud light set..

As far as quantity goes I think the wine will be fine. The beer is iffy though. I've got about a 5 hour window from the ceremony to closing up the site. There's been some talk of a pony keg too.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You know your guests better than anyone, but it seems like that is not enough wine, especially if there will be no bar with cocktails (?). I would get two cases of each minimum. You can always drink it later.

It's not clear if you need wine recommendations, but personally I would stay away from cabernet sauvignon and chardonnay purely because they are the most obvious choices and if there are any wine drinkers in the group they will probably appreciate something more interesting. If you want to stick with California I would look for a tasty local sauvignon blanc for a white, and then a syrah or zinfandel for a red (or maybe a more full-bodied pinot noir).

Really the best thing would be to hit the wine country, do some tastings and purchase direct from the winery. They'll usually give you a deal on cases, they might give you something even more special for the wedding, and you can also look for a celebratory large bottle that would be fun for the wedding party's table.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
At my wedding about 5 weeks ago 180 guests consumed 1 full keg + 2 pony kegs worth of brews. We had beers from around the Northwest.

Before I stopped drinking I used to love the Mendocino Brew Co Red Tale ale.

Hows the beer at Ukiah Brew Co?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
At my wedding about 5 weeks ago 180 guests consumed 1 full keg + 2 pony kegs worth of brews. We had beers from around the Northwest.

Before I stopped drinking I used to love the Mendocino Brew Co Red Tale ale.
the corner store has that for $5.99. Best deal they have.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Zark look at some of Stone Brewery beers. Semi local for you and as strong an IPA as one could want. I love the pale ale. Sure there's better smaller mico brews from where ever and some amazing Belgians. But really, your going to be too tanked to remember anyway. Glad to see you getting married. Long time no see/ride.