Quantcast

Bee's in the wall

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
My wife and I found a house and are working on getting it into livable shape. It's been neglected for around a decade, including but not limited to cats locked in the house (think 10+ cats spraying the walls). We have a mess and are slowly bringing it back. One of the bigger messes was the bee hive living in the wall of the garage. It was a large hive we found out. I called a friendly bee keeper and he offered to come down with his suit and smoker to pull off the plywood and expose the hive. What we found was a 16"x4"x48" solid honeycomb in the wall. There was a huge amount of bees. The bee keeper got the queen and most of the bees into his box and then we split the honey comb, with the lions share going to the dude with the bee skills.

Needless to say, we've been eating honey this afternoon. :D:thumb::weee:

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My wife and I found a house and are working on getting it into livable shape. It's been neglected for around a decade, including but not limited to cats locked in the house (think 10+ cats spraying the walls). We have a mess and are slowly bringing it back. One of the bigger messes was the bee hive living in the wall of the garage. It was a large hive we found out. I called a friendly bee keeper and he offered to come down with his suit and smoker to pull off the plywood and expose the hive. What we found was a 16"x4"x48" solid honeycomb in the wall. There was a huge amount of bee's. The bee keeper got the queen and most of the bees into his box and then we split the honey comb, with the lions share going to the dude with the bee skills.
That's awesome. Supposedly bee honey never goes bad. It's also excellent for energy on rides!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
We've been eating it on buttered toast. I need to figure out how to make toast on the trails. Maybe with a magnifying glass?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
The bees will be back next year, too. You have to clean the fvck out of it or they keep coming back. Damn bees have moved into my roof 3 of the 4 years we have been in this house. :rant: :panic:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The bees will be back next year, too. You have to clean the fvck out of it or they keep coming back. Damn bees have moved into my roof 3 of the 4 years we have been in this house. :rant: :panic:
we had some bees flying around the house late spring / early summer. the house got a new roof, siding, and soffit & fascia last year. they must have used to live there, and apparently they could no longer find a way in. take that bees!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Turns out the queen bee is still hiding in the wall! Those workers stashed her away in a hole once we broke into their hive. My wife, the entomologist, is getting a bee suit and smoker. We are going to clean out an old hive box and get that queen bee into it. See if we can't get some honey every year

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I always try to find the bee guy with the most nasty and painful poison I can to kill the bees. I hate bees.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Sh!t! the bee's moved out sometime today. I hope they found a good home. At least I have my garage back. Went for an orchard ride tonight and found some abandoned bee boxes, but, they're full of BEES! The boxes reek of honey so definitely getting some bee suits and going after these guys. Hell yea