Quantcast

Beets

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
thumbs down on beets? are you mad?

the roasted sweet taste of beets....yay!

golden beets and goat cheese over fresh greens. beat that. i dare ye.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
oooooooooooo i love beets. we eat at this ethiopian restraunt down the street. the vegetarian combination comes with beets, and thats what sparked my love for them. now i can't get enough.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you all should read "jitterbug perfume" by tom robbins :thumb: . beets play a central role.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I love beets - remember picking them out of the garden when I was little. YUMMY!

Beets are VERY popular if you go out to eat in New Zealand, I love that country :)

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
Toshi said:
you all should read "jitterbug perfume" by tom robbins :thumb: . beets play a central role.

man I read that book on a rec from some chick that said his writing was similar to Hunter S. T. But man, that book was hard to follow. Are his other books that "scatterbrained"? (not meant negatively)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I Are Baboon said:

Somehow I fell victim to Jedi-Wife mind tricks. We planted beets in our garden and they are growing nicely...

WTF???

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
are beets, the same thing as we over here call beetroot?
if so then pickled beetroot is great, tastes realy nice, goes well with suprisingly a lot of stuff especially salads.

clancy98 said:
man I read that book on a rec from some chick that said his writing was similar to Hunter S. T. But man, that book was hard to follow. Are his other books that "scatterbrained"? (not meant negatively)
However you meant it, "scatterbrained" is not a term that comes to mind when I think about Robbins' books.

I hated beets growing up, but after reading the book, I gave them a try again. Unfortunately, they still tasted terrible to me.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
gastro said:
However you meant it, "scatterbrained" is not a term that comes to mind when I think about Robbins' books.

I hated beets growing up, but after reading the book, I gave them a try again. Unfortunately, they still tasted terrible to me.
I think he jumps around a lot. At least in jitterbug, there were 4 or 5 seemingly unrelated stories, and he kept hopping back and forth. I guess I didnt get the theme. There were satyrs, perfumers, people of all different times/races. Maybe I will have to reread.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Heidi said:
I love beets - remember picking them out of the garden when I was little. YUMMY!

Beets are VERY popular if you go out to eat in New Zealand, I love that country :)
Beets are nasty! You ate mine in NZ if I remember corectly

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
gastro said:

i can see how robbins' books might be called scatterbrained. yes, his other works have similar multiple-plot-line and general wackiness aspects to them, but they're all entertaining. if you didn't like one you probably won't like the others, on the other hand.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Every year around Christmas time I get invited to a friends house for traditional Polish food, the first course is some horrible soup made from beets. I have to be drunk to eat the stuff.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
red beets=bad
golden beets=good

Roasted and sliced, tossed into a salad or just sliced with cheese and a roasted red pepper dipping sauce and a glass/bottle of Pinot Gris.
Golden beet ravioli is pretty good too.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So it looks like beet haters outweight beet lovers here. :thumb:

I couldn't count Qman because he can't decide whether or not he likes them, or Toshi, who instead of telling us if he likes beets, made a reference to some obscure book none of us has ever heard of.

Damn, I should have made this a poll.