Quantcast

Beginner Trials Frame

bigdonut

Chimp
Mar 10, 2005
PHX
Any suggestions on trials frames? I'm currently riding an Azonic Steelhead with downhill parts (~40 lbs) and am finding it hard to learn trials moves. Would still like to have a seat and be able to pedal around downtown. Also, would like to run it as a singlespeed.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
thats how i learned trials on a steelhead w/ a z150. it depends do you want a mod or a stock. monty makes some cool mods you can pick up some cheap ones to. i ride a stock. many people have jumped on the high b.b. train and long wheel bases. nothing wrong w/ a long bike it helps w/ hooks. high b.b. feel weird though if you dont have your bike set up right. i ride a echo E3 1040. go to this site it a trials site www.observedtrials.net

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
im just getting into this too, i just picked up a haro zero and im having a blast on it. Its nice and cheap and easy to upgrade. Its my single speed commuting, DJ and urban ride as of now and its treating me well.

bigdonut

Chimp
Mar 10, 2005
PHX
I was looking around the net today and saw some old planet-x zebdi frames. Looks like this would be perfect, but I don't think they are making them anymore. I also saw some Echo's that might work but again they were older and I didn't see them listed on their website. Possibly another choice might be an Evil DOC, the stays are short and adjustable, but no rim brake bosses and seat tube is kinda long.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the pure is a great stock frame. if you like it then get it.

btw rim brakes are almost a must in trials. pretty much only the pros run disc. the reason for rim brakes is that they have much better locking power and that is critical in trials.

btw v brakes and maggies can be setup to have about the same amount of power so maggies are not a must but trials spec pads are.

bigdonut

Chimp
Mar 10, 2005
PHX
Are they still selling the Pure. I didn't see it listed on their website. If you know where to buy please let me know.:clue:

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
Sir_Crackien said:
btw rim brakes are almost a must in trials. pretty much only the pros run disc. the reason for rim brakes is that they have much better locking power and that is critical in trials.
This is really not true. Avid mech disk breaks can be setup to have as much or more power than a maggie+goodpads+grind. A beginer is much more likely to be able to setup an avid decently than grind their rim.

That ES4r is a fun bike. I had one back in the day (2 years ago I think). I think a lot of them ended up breaking - but that was under the pilot of far better and nastier riders than myslelf.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I'd say for a beginer to stay away from long bikes, or super high BB's as well. They're tough to learn on. Honestly you can learn the basics on a 40 pound hardtail. I did. I learned how to pedal kick on my Identiti dr. jekyll with a 6" dual crown fork and a broken wrist... Don't let your bike hold you back. If you do'nt have the cash, ride what you have. If you can aford it, great. Get something decent. I would say don't spring for the nicest stuff just because you can afford it. That's a dumb way to go about things. Ya, it's nice to have good stuff, but if you start out on something that's nice, not the best, but not crap either, you'll be just fine. If you realize that you do like it and are getting better, then great, save up some cash and get a new frame, or better brakes or better wheels. But don't drop 2 grand on a bike if you're just getting into it.

Zebdi's are great bikes to learn on. The echo pure and es4 are pretty good bikes as well. I actually have a zebdi frame that I'm willing to sell for super cheap. I rode it for a few months and then replaced it with something much better. If you'd like I could find enough parts laying around and build it up complete for you. not going to be the best stuff, but it's going to be a pretty cool setup. Let me know if you're interested. I'd be thinking 300 tops for what I might have kicking around. PM me or email me at backside900@snowboard.com if you're interested.

bigdonut

Chimp
Mar 10, 2005
PHX
Thanks for all the info/suggestions! I'm gonna check out iridebikes Zebdi frame that he is selling. If it works out, I'll post some pics.

Feb 10, 2006
Mass
I have a woodman elite wich i heard is a trials frame im using it for a dirt jump and have heavy duty things on it and it weight is 32 pounds ive heard its a good frame