Quantcast

behold the new fad in training!!!!pump tracks!!!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
it seems like ever since there was an article in a magazine about pump tracks they are popping up everywhere!they seem like they would be fun for a while but then they would get boring and just get turned into dirt jumps. not that i cant see the benefits of learning to pump better and flow in and out of berms and jumps while maintaining speed and tapping into speed through the course but I think people will get terribly bored of them after a while.just my opinion feel free to discuss among yourselves.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
it seems like ever since there was an article in a magazine about pump tracks they are popping up everywhere!they seem like they would be fun for a while but then they would get boring and just get turned into dirt jumps. not that i cant see the benefits of learning to pump better and flow in and out of berms and jumps while maintaining speed and tapping into speed through the course but I think people will get terribly bored of them after a while.just my opinion feel free to discuss among yourselves.
Having ridden 1, Id love to have 1 in my back yard. Or really close to my house. I mean MTB takes up quite a bit of time. Get your crap, go to the trail head, unload, gear up, ride, drive home. To be able to walk out your door, have some fun on your bike and build some valid skills. I say its a win win.

But then again I actually ride my (a) bike. :clue:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
MTB_Rob_NC said:
Having ridden 1, Id love to have 1 in my back yard. Or really close to my house. I mean MTB takes up quite a bit of time. Get your crap, go to the trail head, unload, gear up, ride, drive home. To be able to walk out your door, have some fun on your bike and build some valid skills. I say its a win win.

But then again I actually ride my (a) bike. :clue:
yaaa thats why i have decided when i get my next house (LooNatic might be my roomate)there will be dirt jumps in the yard. i already have the bobcat lined up and ready.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
yaaa thats why i have decided when i get my next house (LooNatic might be my roomate)there will be dirt jumps in the yard. i already have the bobcat lined up and ready.

WHAT? LOO is moving to NC? When are you guys coming to Charlotte to party some? You do not even need a bike :nopity:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would build one if I could. For now, I just have a series of stunt type ladders in a binch of sizes I arrange to try different things. It's like having a skills course in my back yard.

I could see geetting a little tired of a track if it was small and the design was limited. But you could tear it down every year and reconfigure it over a weekend too.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
MTB_Rob_NC said:
WHAT? LOO is moving to NC? When are you guys coming to Charlotte to party some? You do not even need a bike :nopity:
we have been talking about him moving up here.my folks want to buy rental houses here since they are retired (mostly). i will be renting the first house and was talking to LOo about it. we will see what happens.

as for partying in charlotte, i dont know. i dont have a dime to name and wont for the next 2 years so going all out partying is the last thing i need to do.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
we have been talking about him moving up here.my folks want to buy rental houses here since they are retired (mostly). i will be renting the first house and was talking to LOo about it. we will see what happens.

as for partying in charlotte, i dont know. i dont have a dime to name and wont for the next 2 years so going all out partying is the last thing i need to do.
Fine I will come up there soon enough. I mean its only a few hours

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The one at Ray's is fun as hell. It's a good way to warm up when you first get there. A few runs on it and I'm whipped. Last time I hit it I was racing Sorgie, got going too fast and overshot a corner. Damn near killed myself. Good times :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Lazy man's dirt jumps.:cool:

I guess a few parts of our spot could be considered pump trackish. We've got a bunch of whoops and little doubles that you can either jump or manual or pump through. They all lead to doubles with at least 15ft gaps though. There needs to be a reward you know.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
kidwoo said:
Lazy man's dirt jumps.:cool:

I guess a few parts of our spot could be considered pump trackish. We've got a bunch of whoops and little doubles that you can either jump or manual or pump through. They all lead to doubles with at least 15ft gaps though. There needs to be a reward you know.
haha word.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm not sure how these are good training for riding a bike.

They are great for doing siding and sheating.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
stosh said:
I'm not sure how these are good training for riding a bike.

They are great for doing siding and sheating.

dude those are pump JACKS not pump TRACKS!!!

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I second the post about the track at Ray's. One pump track is fun, but a dual line track where you can race each other and take out your opponent at the mid-way cross is excellent.

I'd build one if I had the room. And will gladly help if anyone wants to finish the local one when the 'place' gets park approval and we can build again.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
ooooh a 2 person would be very cool. a no pedaling allowed race would be fun.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
MTB_Rob_NC said:
This is exactly why I am so excited to be putting some jumps/trails on our land surrounding our new house. To be able to roll out of the garage, and get some riding in is making me smile in my sleep.
I think the reason pump tracks are popular is simply because you can put one in a regular backyard, and get some riding in out your back door.
Especially in the winter time when you get off work at 5 and it gets dark at 6. Being on the bike for 40 minutes is better than 0 minutes.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
biggins said:
see thats what i dont understand. you are not supposed to pedal aorund it. it all supposed to be about maintaining speed and tapping into the pump through berms and rollers.
I think that was the point of my post :think:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
the point of a pump track is to get better at flowing through transitions. No pedaling in between obstacles. I don't think their a 'fad' considering if you want to build a good one you have to know how to dig and build. Its not as easy as berms and rollers. And the cool thing about dirt, if you get bored with it, change it up! add something, take something away, build it bigger; the dirt is your oyster

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Five said:
Why not just go to a bmx track?
I think the point of a pump track is that you build one in your back yard. Or at least close to you so you don't have to pack up stuff and go.

I for one live nowhere near a bmx track, so it's not an option. If I built a bmx track in my back yard, then it would be the same thing.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
jimmydean said:
I think the point of a pump track is that you build one in your back yard. Or at least close to you so you don't have to pack up stuff and go.

I for one live nowhere near a bmx track, so it's not an option. If I built a bmx track in my back yard, then it would be the same thing.
Build it with jumps and it will trump any bmx track.:)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
kidwoo said:
Build it with jumps and it will trump any bmx track.:)
There is a dirt jump park that's under construction next to the skate park about 1/2 mile from my house. It should be done in a month or so. There is also a nice one about 3 miles away, and another about a mile from my old house in Beaverton.

To bad I'm a pussy and don't dirt jump (or have a bike that is of that style). I tried to jumo my DH bike, but it was more trouble than it was worth. I would love a pump track to work on my flow with the big bike though.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
jimmydean said:
I would love a pump track to work on my flow with the big bike though.
From what I saw and experianced at Ray's, the pump track works a lot better on a jump bike or at least, a hardtail. Not saying you can't do it on a big bike, but you get a lot more for your pump on a hardtail.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
peter6061 said:
From what I saw and experianced at Ray's, the pump track works a lot better on a jump bike or at least, a hardtail. Not saying you can't do it on a big bike, but you get a lot more for your pump on a hardtail.
I understand that side of things. But I will be on the big bike for everything, that is why I would like to do it on there. I guess if you get better at it on a hardtail, the skill would transfer well enough. But I don't have a hardtial, so I rock what I gots.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I'm lucky enough to have my own pumptrack. I've got 2 kids that LOVE it....and also a neighborhood full of kids that ride it all the time. I ride it on a Stinky, a BMX and a 24" ridgid, its rideable and equally as fun and flowy in either direction. Mine is almost 300 feet long and winds through the woods, well 240 feet, waiting on some rain to get the last couple bumps and berms in. It has been an education in dirt sculpture...it's constantly being tweaked and buffed and I'm hoping to get some crossovers going through the middle to give it more options. Heres a couple vidcaps of the one berm being ridden in both directions...

AS far as a workout is considered....thats an understatement, between the building and the riding I've definately leaned out quite a bit...10 laps on that thing will make it burn for sure.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
biggins said:
you know you want one in your back yard.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
oly said:
I expect you to come give pointers... 'ill even let you listen to your old records......
I need to start getting more photos of our spot. I usually only take pics of the doubles but there's a whole lot more going on. Might at least give you some ideas. Straight line doubles are too common to have as your only option if you're starting from scratch IMO. Looks like you've got some good area to work with though. Lots of curvy, hippy possibilities.

As far as coming over and helping.......uh, yeah I'll be right over.

You know I would if I could.