Quantcast

Bellingham Dirt Jump Comp.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
July 9, at the dirt jump park, starts at 1:30 in the afternoon.
From the WHIMPs homepage:
Countless hours and another five dump truck loads of dirt have been added to the already stellar Civic Field Dirt Jump Park. The lines are revamped, table tops added, lips shaped and the Park is looking stellar. Last year over 150 specatators took in the high flying antics. This year we expect even more spectators and participants.

Three categories: Pro/Open, Intermediate, Beginner, $15.00
Contest Starts at 1:30pm
I'll be taking video. Who's planning on going to watch or be in it?

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I *might* watch.

Last year only a few dudes competed. And it seemed like jumping and actually landing was an accomplishment for these fellows. Jumping and doing tricks was definately above their ability level. I mean they did some tricks, but it wasn't exciting - It was pretty lame. (I'll admit that if I even tried to roll these jumps I'd probably kill myself so even jumping is probably something of an accomplishment... Just nothting even remotely video quality went down. it was kind of like watching the beginner women at a DH race - not something you need to travel to witness)

The old jump contest (the ramp they would put in the padden parking lot where the dogg off leash area is), before they built the dirt jumps at civic, was a hell of a lot better.

However, they gave out sweet prizes. Some dude got a brand new Kona frame. So I hope someone with skills shows up this year.

Last year they had a "pro/open" class and a novice class or something. My friend showed up to watch and said "when do the pro/open guys jump" and I was like "this is as good as it gets, dude."

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Last year there were 360's, a backflip, numerous no footer tricks, no handers, no footer one handers, there was a small nothing, there were some can-cans, etc. It was good and will get better. Pat might bring some friends. I forget what he told me at ski-to-sea. :rolleyes:

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
I'll be there hopefully. Last year had a lot of reasons as to why it went off how it did. A new park that almost no one had a chance to ride much. It was finished right before the comp. Even at that it needed work, still does but this year it's groomed a hell of a lot more, different lines, improved lines, etc. Plus DJ comps are usually like that, you'll see riders bailing all day long, but if they don't push it, it would be a lame competition. We aren't dealing with "pro" riders here but you can see some pretty slick crap. Ramp jumps are alright but honestly... I'd rather see a DJ comp.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
this is still happening? if so, then i'll be there shooting photos.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'll shoot stalker-portraits of all the cute girls... and maybe some of the riders, too :D

BenWA

Chimp
Feb 28, 2002
B'ham, Worshington
mattv2099 said:
I mean they did some tricks, but it wasn't exciting - It was pretty lame... ...Just nothting even remotely video quality went down. it was kind of like watching the beginner women at a DH race - not something you need to travel to witness)
you're pretty hard to impress dude. backflips, 360s, superman seat grabs, crankflips, tuck no handers, no cans...all by non-pro, no-name kids is pretty good for a comp where not a lot of riders showed up. Plus, beyond tricks, there were a few riders with STYLE....

Considering that the Gathering in Renton had just about every pro dirt jumper on the planet, this wasnt too far behind in quality of riding IMO.

Hopefully this year more good riders will show up.

BenWA

Chimp
Feb 28, 2002
B'ham, Worshington
yep, i'll be there although not gonna ride cuz the last time I rode a mountain bike was....ummm......?

I'm gonna do the Padden race though, just for kicks.

Toshi come say hi if you go to the Big Air comp

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ok it's going to be raining, and i'm getting my car detailed. so i won't be there.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
BenWA said:
yep, i'll be there although not gonna ride cuz the last time I rode a mountain bike was....ummm......?

I'm gonna do the Padden race though, just for kicks.

Toshi come say hi if you go to the Big Air comp

hello Benjamin...what are you riding these days?

we should have a 'rendezvous' sometime soon

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
BenWA said:
you're pretty hard to impress dude. backflips, 360s, superman seat grabs, crankflips, tuck no handers, no cans...all by non-pro, no-name kids is pretty good for a comp where not a lot of riders showed up. Plus.
I'm not a downhil mt biker. Nor am I a jumper. I have never jumped, in fact. So, to someone in the know, someone who has done this stuff or is trying to learn this stuff, maybe it was impressive. But as just some random spectator who showed up I didn't see anything very cool. I mean I've seen some of the videos and I've seen some **** on TV and damn there are some amazing jumpers out there. I was expecting that sort of stuff... I realize this is a small time local competition and that doing these tricks in this park is definately not easy and takes skill. I'm not trying to be a hater.

BenWA

Chimp
Feb 28, 2002
B'ham, Worshington
Toshi: boooo! (but I understand)

Steveareeno: I'm riding a road bike these days. Haven't touched the fat tires in a good many months, I think last time I rode was when we went to Thrill Zone that time...(!) But that is no excuse to not Rendezvous, Is Dart still up and about? I've been meaning to call you to go check it out one of these days...

Mattv: Fair enough. p.s., you are on rbr, no?

Drew: I'll kill you, you sonofagun! youd better be make an appearance...

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
yup dart's a go and they're making some pretty serious changes to the lower sections...for the bigger. I rode there a couple weeks back (only the upper section)
Amtrak is also in good shape :)

ha...I'm going to start calling you LanceWa

BenWA

Chimp
Feb 28, 2002
B'ham, Worshington
dont think that would be an appropriate handle, i'm about as slow/weak on the road bike as they come.

i'll give you a jingle one of these days and we'll go ride bikes like the couple of old farts that we are...

You been to whistler lately?

BenWA

Chimp
Feb 28, 2002
B'ham, Worshington
UPDATE ON THE JUMP COMP (Friday night 7/8 ): the jump park is in perfect condition right now, and there are some dudes out there shralping it right now getting ready for tomorrow... they are doing some surprisingly insane crap, but I'll leave it at that. I have a feeling its gonna go off this year.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Ben, see you there man, good work with everything this year. The park has really taken shape. Hope to see everyone out there, I'll be there to check it out, B.S. and snap a few photos.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
BenWA said:
dont think that would be an appropriate handle, i'm about as slow/weak on the road bike as they come.

i'll give you a jingle one of these days and we'll go ride bikes like the couple of old farts that we are...

You been to whistler lately?

oh, I'm going up on the evening of the 21st and staying till the 24th. I'm going up will Kelly and a few of our other friends. It's not really a biking trip but I'm going to ride at least one day either fri or sat...you should come up