Quantcast

Bent derailer or hanger?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
How'd you fix it with that? I bent a derailur a couple weeks ago the same way and couldn't for the life of me even figure out where it was bent. I ended up getting a new derailur instead. I'd like to salvage it for a spare though.

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
I clamped on the wrench to the lower part if the derailer and started twisting and bending till I got it back into shape. It took a couple good wacks with the rubber mallet as well so basiccally it was trial and error just trying to straiten it out agian.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
dude just go down to you LBS and they can get (acctually) straight! it should not cost you any (as long as they ain't in a rush). using one of thoses big wrenches with the derailur on is a bad idea! hammer it flat or at least take off your deraileur!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I couldn't tell that the cage on mine had been bent. I almost think it may be the pivot pin that the cage is attatched to. In which case it wouldn't help much to pound it flat with a hammer. I'll probablly just consider it scrap and maybe cannibalize it for parts in the future.

I can't believe how poopey Deore stuff looks, but it actually works about as well as my old XT. We'll have to see about durability though, my XT was going on 4 years use.