Quantcast

Best 35mm DM stem?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Sounds pretty crazy, clearly your wife is the real MVP.
It looks like the Havoc is about the widest you can get so maybe a contributor, but it's not that much wider than the others really so maybe just unlucky crashes.

I decided the ANVL was still the best of the bunch for me and emailed them a few questions before ordering, but no reply after 7 days. Re-sent this morning, will see how it goes.
both events were in the exact same section of trail, which really seemed to eat her up, both were over the bars, wheel turned, all weight coming down on the one side of the bars, more likely to two really similar unfortunate crashes than any concern over the stem being the problem.

So, another Easton, Raceface, or a different bar this time around?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I ran Kore's in the past and have no complaints, but I'm not sure if they will hold up to my wife's "style" of riding :banana::D

Then again, not sure any bar is going to hold up lol

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
So, another Easton, Raceface, or a different bar this time around?
Had a SIXC on my trailbike for a while, and I want to try the same on the DH but need 800 width and high rise (which RF only make in 35 clamp) hence the need for a 35 stem. Not sure if plastic is the smartest idea, but a few bigger/faster guys I know have been running them on DH bikes for a while now, so I'm ready to give it a go.

Been using a Nukeproof alloy bar happily for three years (7075, 300g@800mm, 38mm rise and 31.8 clamp), plus they're super cheap and the logos alcohol-off for that all black look. I've found most 7075 alloy bars (which is most of the good ones anyway) to be pretty reliable in general.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I thought about carbon, I'm pretty impressed with the impact resistance of our frames. I think carbon might actually be a good option if it wasn't 2-3 times the cost.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Well I think that's a little short sighted. I'm trying to get you realized how justified the cost is. That stem is like 16GRAMS lighter than a comparable aluminum one.
Over here that's a $450 stem. Can't even leave it in the sun....

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
"wife beaters?"

Sweet. I'd totally trust a 100g stem from those guys. The only stem I've ever seen truly broken (as in separated bar) is an enve stem, but I'd bet that's a good candidate just based on their website.

They're in poland, so @norbar needs to step up and explain ;)
Will ask, I assume they are the component brand for Antidote bikes given they sponsor the same riders and they use the same social media guy.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Well it's been over a week now and ANVL are flat out ignoring my emails (edit - maybe crankworx? still not impressed). Got a shipping quote but they haven't replied to anything else, and I've re-sent the emails a few times.

Since I can't actually order from them without some sort of communication (due to international shipping $ they have to enter in manually) I'm probably going to wait one more day and then give it a miss.

Failing that, it looks like I'll be getting a 2014 stem after all. Think I'll go with the RF one to match the bar if there are no objections.

So why not the Race Face DM35 one? Claimed weight is ~120g, the clamping surface seems decent, and it's made of 2014 aluminium. Not your 7075 of choice, but neither the cottage cheese 6061.

It was always my 2nd choice and looks like it may happen. I hate the graphics but the stem seems nice.

Last edited:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
What about that Syncros stem? Have You asked them about that alloy, that it's made of?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
@toodles nailed it.

The ANVL shipping guy just replied to me and apologised for the delay and said he'll give the owners a kick to reply. Guess these things happen, I'd still like to try one if it will work out.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My ANVL bar and stem are still kicking. 3 or so more weekends on it since this thread was started, 2 more races planned for the season (Snowshoe and Platty). I just said to the wife yesterday that after 3 seasons it may be time to relegate my current bar to "spare parts" duty. It's got some cosmetic scratches, but some are deep enough for me to second guess if I should still run the bars.

I'll likely buy another ANVL bar. Stem shows no signs of wear or need of replacement.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Did you bang already @Udi?
Yeah, didn't have time to update the thread.
Thanks to @Kanye West / hacktastic for helping me get one.

Weighed with 6x Ti bolts (faceplate and crown):

I'm looking for something similar but for a 31.8 bar.
Suggestions?
The best 31.8mm DM stem (bar none, in my book) is the Point1 splitsecond.
Unfortunately it's long out of production and the company is dissolved, but they pop up on PB buysell occasionally. If you want something currently available the Hope one is pretty nice, and Nukeproof do a nice 7075 one (not sure if it comes in 50mm though).

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Unfortunately it's long out of production and the company is dissolved, but they pop up on PB buysell occasionally. If you want something currently available the Hope one is pretty nice, and Nukeproof do a nice 7075 one (not sure if it comes in 50mm though).
This.

Ran the Point1 for something like 7 or 8 years on about 6 different bikes and it is just brilliant. After recently cracking a Thomson X4 (also 8 years old) on the trail bike, I got concerned about the possibility of fatigue and replaced the Point1 with the Hope. Really nicely made but quite a bit heavier than the Point1. I think it would benefit from ti bolts as it runs huge stainless bolts (4 of M6 x 18 and 4 of M6 x 25). If you're not worried about weight tho just run it stock. The best price I could find was Ubyk.

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)

Thanks Udi.
Do you happen to know the material of the Point1 splitsecond?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks Udi.
Do you happen to know the material of the Point1 splitsecond?
I'm almost positive it's 7075T6 (would have checked when I first bought it), but it's hard to find their official documentation now.

In any case, I can say with reasonable confidence that breakage is not going to be a big concern on that stem - I took a gamble on it when it first came out in early 2008, and ran it for a full 8 1/2 years. Numerous others I know have run them for ages too (eg. post above).

It's also lighter than this one I just bought (and has higher quality machining), about 110g with all Ti hardware (4x M5 + 4x M6). I ran mine L/R flipped for the last 3-4 years I owned it to get a wider clamping stance and had no problems (as did a few other people I know). Company's official stance on it was "it's probably fine but we can't tell you that for sure").

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
I'm almost positive it's 7075T6 (would have checked when I first bought it), but it's hard to find their official documentation now.

In any case, I can say with reasonable confidence that breakage is not going to be a big concern on that stem - I took a gamble on it when it first came out in early 2008, and ran it for a full 8 1/2 years. Numerous others I know have run them for ages too (eg. post above).

It's also lighter than this one I just bought (and has higher quality machining), about 110g with all Ti hardware (4x M5 + 4x M6). I ran mine L/R flipped for the last 3-4 years I owned it to get a wider clamping stance and had no problems (as did a few other people I know). Company's official stance on it was "it's probably fine but we can't tell you that for sure").

Thanks guys.

I currently have a Sunline direct mount that recently took a shot and may be slightly bent.
I'll look into your options.

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)

Found a used Point1 Splitsecond stem. Its a nice piece.
Still in fashion with the current offerings. (ahead of its time)
Looking forward to mounting it up. I have some black Ti bolts that will sharpen the look.