Quantcast

Best 661 Kyle Straight replacement?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Been on KS's for a few years, and while they're great when they're brand new they do tend to fall apart at the sides and get a bit baggy with age.

After something that is at least as good if not better in terms of comfort/fit/protection. If something has better durability too, then that's a bonus.

Any recommendations?

Ta!

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I previously ran the 661 Straight's, but have been using the IXS Slope EVO Knees for the last couple of seasons.

The IXS's have a rigid knee cup (maybe not hard plastic, but close) are way slimmer, and stay in place better. They're actually a bitch to take off because they grip so well. I've had plenty of crashes to try them out, and they provide great protection.

I like them better than the 661's for sure.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
I've been (still) using 661 KS, evo, riot..
.. and recommend the fox launch pro.

tried the TLD but too stiff, hot and not comfy at all IMHO.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
I previously ran the 661 Straight's, but have been using the IXS Slope EVO Knees for the last couple of seasons.

The IXS's have a rigid knee cup (maybe not hard plastic, but close) are way slimmer, and stay in place better. They're actually a bitch to take off because they grip so well. I've had plenty of crashes to try them out, and they provide great protection.

I like them better than the 661's for sure.
I have to agree with this guy. I am a big fan of the way the IXS pads dont move even on AM style pedaly rides or pump track stuff...they just dont move!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm probably sticking with my T-bones for another year. Considering the Leatts, which don't seem to be available yet.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I want a set with a hard plastic cup that slips in and out through a slot in the top like the old 661 Assault Suit's chest plate. That way I can ride in them on AM pedal rides and slip the hard cup in for the D to the IZ ACHUH!!!

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Was bummed as well when I saw they weren't producing the Strait anymore. Shortly after, HuckNroll had some on sale for $23. Only smalls though, I wear a medium and have never tried any other size. I ordered a pair of the $23 smalls though to have when my current mediums bite the dust.

I have found the mediums are comfy and don't slide around while riding. I have had them slide down in a few crashes, now that I think of it they might have slid down in just about every crash I've had. Maybe the smalls will hold better.

Saw some suggestions of the IXS Slope Evo, might give those a shot. Living in Georgia sucks! Not many shops acknowledge gravity oriented riding, including enduro and all mountain, so being able to try various offerings of pads is not an easy thing. Lots of helpful posts here thanks everyone!

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Just because they own 661, doen't mean the pads are the same, unless you are saying that they literally just rebranded the pads?

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Athertons were wearing some ONE branded 661 Rage pads last year but all the 2013 production ONE product is different from 661..

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
KS were the first knee pads I owned and I've had a couple pair. They're OK. Had the Kali version of basically the same thing along with G-Forms.

I recently got a pair of TLD 5450s. Have to say, I'm pretty stoked with them. Worn them on both pedal and DH runs. They fit pretty tight without straps and they're relatively slim.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Since you rock a Roots and Rain T-shirt like me, you should buy some Fox Launch pros. ;)
Ha, thanks :) I did use Fox Launch a few years ago, but never found them very comfortable.

Those One industries look potentially quite good. I've ordered some of the iXS Slope, will see how they feel when they turn up. I really want to try the daggers but they're out of stock until the end of the month.