Quantcast

Best arm exercises and pilates DVDs?

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
I've been doing some reading on what I should be doing this winter to get in shape for next season. The two things I keep reading is how i need to build up my arm muscles to be able to pull up the front end of the bike, and second, how I need to build up my core. What do you girls do for strengthening your arms? And do any of you have a favorite pilates DVD to use for the core muscles? I do attend a gym and plan to start going to the pilates class, but I'd like to be able to do stuff at home too. I'm trying to get into excellent shape, after all, I need to be able to ride my new Bottle Rocket! :happydance:

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
I've been doing some reading on what I should be doing this winter to get in shape for next season. The two things I keep reading is how i need to build up my arm muscles to be able to pull up the front end of the bike, and second, how I need to build up my core. What do you girls do for strengthening your arms? And do any of you have a favorite pilates DVD to use for the core muscles? I do attend a gym and plan to start going to the pilates class, but I'd like to be able to do stuff at home too. I'm trying to get into excellent shape, after all, I need to be able to ride my new Bottle Rocket! :happydance:
Core stuff is great, but I don't know any DVDs recommend so can't help you there.
As for the arm exercises...
Believe it or not you don't need arm specific exercises at all and they aren't really going to help you much anyway. Any exercise that uses the pull movement will help with that (bent over rows, cable rows, lat pull downs, chin-ups, pull-ups, etc..) Your back muscles play a much more prominent role in being able to lift up the front end than the arm muscles. The bicep and tricep are secondary muscles and contrary to what most of the magazines will tell you they don't need to be worked in isolation and from a functional strength standpoint there isn't much point in doing so.
But if you start doing exercises that focus on pulling movements you need to balance those with pushing exercises (push ups, bench press, etc...) or you could really cause yourself some problems (and some twisting motion exercises couldn't hurt but that will likely be covered by the core stuff you do).

If I had to pick a couple of exercises specifically catered at lifting the front end it would probably be high pull, upright row, and bent over row. Although a lot of what goes into lifting the front end is more about timing and weight shifting that it is strength. But for just yanking on the bars to lift, those exercises should mimic the motion pretty well.

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Core stuff is great, but I don't know any DVDs recommend so can't help you there.
As for the arm exercises...
Believe it or not you don't need arm specific exercises at all and they aren't really going to help you much anyway. Any exercise that uses the pull movement will help with that (bent over rows, cable rows, lat pull downs, chin-ups, pull-ups, etc..) Your back muscles play a much more prominent role in being able to lift up the front end than the arm muscles. The bicep and tricep are secondary muscles and contrary to what most of the magazines will tell you they don't need to be worked in isolation and from a functional strength standpoint there isn't much point in doing so.
But if you start doing exercises that focus on pulling movements you need to balance those with pushing exercises (push ups, bench press, etc...) or you could really cause yourself some problems (and some twisting motion exercises couldn't hurt but that will likely be covered by the core stuff you do).

If I had to pick a couple of exercises specifically catered at lifting the front end it would probably be high pull, upright row, and bent over row. Although a lot of what goes into lifting the front end is more about timing and weight shifting that it is strength. But for just yanking on the bars to lift, those exercises should mimic the motion pretty well.
Wow! That is great advice, thanks. I'll start incorporating that into my routine at the gym and see what results I can get.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I'm a fan of MTV pilates and yoga videos. You can get the whole set of 4 videos. They are fun because they have good music and are in nice settings, and the instructor isn't annoying.

My schooling background is in exercise science and I agree with tbfkahg with regard to doing lots of rows. Chest press/bench press is also good for riding since it can be essential to almost lock your arms when going down nasty terrain so you don't buckle. Not to mention, if you work one muscle group, you should also work the opposite to prevent any imbalances.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
In addition to lifting and some Pilates, I do use a strength training ball. I do crunches on teh ball and sometimes even use a weighted ball or just a basketball to hit the same spot on the wall.

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
I bought the set from Winsor Pilates and I really like them. It's a good place to start.

http://www.winsorpilates.com

As far as arms/shoulders the other girls are correct, you need to do both pushing and pulling exercises.

This month I am doing these:

Day 1
Woodchoppers, Dumbell Lateral Raise, Dumbell Pullovers (with a weight in each hand)

Day 2
Dumbbell Bent Over Row, Dumbbell Press on the Ball

Day 3
Barbell Bench Press, Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extension, Underhand Low Row

I have been strength training with James Wilson for the past 5 months. He has put together a specific strength training plan geared specifically for mountain bikers. I do weight training for 1hr/3 x week and have gotten spectacular results. You can check out what he has to offer at http://www.mtbstrengthcoach.com/.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
Normal shoulder press done standing up. Helps with core and gets ride of the crutch of sitting down with you back supported.

It builds more functional strength.

Or do Thrusters or Push Press. Good overall exercise.
Yes, you really shouldn't do any pushing exercise sitting or else you are missing out on half the benefits (and quite possibly cheating).
The only exercises I do with my back supported are all the variations of the bench press and the only other exercises I do sitting are the various lat pull downs (when I'm not doing too many reps to do chin/pull ups) and cable seated row (although I usually sub bent-over row for that since the cable machine at our gym doesn't have enough weight).

An no, I'm not a girl but fitness is univeral and the same exercises benefit (or harm) everyone the same

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
April, what are these vids called you are referring to? Can I buy them online? Where?
Do a search for "Fitness MTV Style" Yes, you can get them online--I think I got mine at Best Buy online. The individual vides are called mtv pilates mix, mtv pilates, mtv power yoga and mtv yoga. They're great.

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
actually my training regimen is really complicated..

i ride

but really, if you want to strengthen you're upper body then break out a 20 and practice bunny hopping and manuals. that'll get you going. not to mention it works the exact muscles you want if you're trying to benefit your riding