Quantcast

"Best" cell plan?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Myself and Caitlin are looking into getting a shared plan, as my phone has magically vanished, and her contract runs out in September. Anyone have suggestions for good shared plans? Granted, all cell phone companies suck, but yeah...We've been looking at Cingular, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, and they all seem to blow goats. Is there anything good?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I'm a fan of Verizon, I get coverage just about everywhere, and harldy ever get droped calls. I get something like 3000 minutes for $50/month. I also get free nights and weekends, and free calls to any other Verizon customer, so that 3000 is about 2500 more than I need. No text messages, but who needs those anyway?

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
maxyedor said:
I'm a fan of Verizon, I get coverage just about everywhere, and harldy ever get droped calls. I get something like 3000 minutes for $50/month. I also get free nights and weekends, and free calls to any other Verizon customer, so that 3000 is about 2500 more than I need. No text messages, but who needs those anyway?
:stupid: Verizon has been mostly right by me. It's kind of a pain to get a new phone if you don't need to renew a contract, but a cordially placed request to a store manager can yield good results. All in all, it's been as good as the original AT&T wireless was, and I was pretty happy with that. I don't know about any plans to offer up though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i use verizon. very good, very consistent. i can count on 2 hands the number of dropped calls i've had in 2.5 years of use (and all were in places with barely any service to begin with).

maxydor - wtf plan are you on that you get 3000 minutes/mo(a business plan or something)?? I pay $60 for 900 anytime minutes then unlimited, nights, weekends, and verizon to verizon.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
jonKranked said:
maxydor - wtf plan are you on that you get 3000 minutes/mo(a business plan or something)?? I pay $60 for 900 anytime minutes then unlimited, nights, weekends, and verizon to verizon.
My whole family, Mom, Dad, Brother are with Verizon so we combined all our plans into mine, wich is a business plan. It is super cheap though.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Cingular has been good for my family, We pay like $90 or something a month and get a bunch of minutes, and can call other cingular ppl too. They are usually nice in the stores, we went in to get some new phones and they didnt have them so they gave us 3 razors for free. I would go w/ cingular

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
N8 said:
Sprint gives you a lot of minutes but the coverage sux
Yes.

Driving form CO to NC last year, I lost my signal from outside of Denver and did not get a signal until midway through Kansas.

Even in CO their coverage sucked.

Their coverage is better in NC.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
having been with sprint, t-mobile, att, and cingular i can say they all suck. switching every year while keeping your phone number is the way to go -- you can get a new phone for free this way :thumb:

free phones for me in the last few years:

razr
sony ericsson t637 x 2 (one for my mom)
nokia 3650
some garbage sprint phone

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I have verizon and its ok, although I do use almost no minutes because most of my calls are either nights and weekends or verizon to verizon which is indeed nice. On a side note everybody I know who has cingular has encountered the problem of when their phone rings near their computers the speakers produce a loud annoying sound. I have no idea why, but I know at least 3 or 4 people who have had this happen who have cingular. Just something to consider.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Toshi said:
having been with sprint, t-mobile, att, and cingular i can say they all suck. switching every year while keeping your phone number is the way to go -- you can get a new phone for free this way :thumb:

free phones for me in the last few years:

razr
sony ericsson t637 x 2 (one for my mom)
nokia 3650
some garbage sprint phone
Agreed. I've seen firsthand the horrors of T-Mobile and Cingular, and some of my co-workers have Sprint and hate it.

How'd you get a free Razr?

Right now T-Mobile has the 50 dollah a month special for 1000 minutes, and a free nice Motorola...very tempting.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
blue said:
Agreed. I've seen firsthand the horrors of T-Mobile and Cingular, and some of my co-workers have Sprint and hate it.

How'd you get a free Razr?

Right now T-Mobile has the 50 dollah a month special for 1000 minutes, and a free nice Motorola...very tempting.
amazon.com rules all. razr was -$50 iirc, so i came out ahead even with the $35 activation fee.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Me and the family (wife and 3 kids, as our angel already has a direct line to our heart) use Sprint because of the Fair and Flexible plan. Got 800 shared minutes, 5 phones ($70/mo for the first 2 lines, then $10/mo for each additional), free nights/weekends starting at 7 p.m., kids pay for their add-ons (unlimited texting, etc), and only $5 per block of 100 minutes that we're over. I feel it's better, since the kids have no idea how to manage their minutes. Granted, the wife and I are looking to switch to Verizon in February for better coverage, but Sprint works for us at the moment.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
at the computer store today, the salesguy showed me his new phone that has a camera (of course), an MP3 player (expandable) and a friggin' link to Serius satellite radio! Was smaller and lighter than my phone.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Toshi said:
amazon.com rules all. razr was -$50 iirc, so i came out ahead even with the $35 activation fee.
Wow, thanks for the Amazon tip...phones there is cheap!

I'm digging this one...

MP3 player (flash mem), 1.3megapix camera, all the whizbang doodads I could ever need...and it's small!

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
GumbaFish said:
On a side note everybody I know who has cingular has encountered the problem of when their phone rings near their computers the speakers produce a loud annoying sound. I have no idea why, but I know at least 3 or 4 people who have had this happen who have cingular. Just something to consider.
Mine does that all the time, its not that loud though, and sometimes its nice because it warns you b4 the phone even rings, It only does it on my computer speakers and my cb

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
Holy crap do people pay alot for their mobile phone plans. :nonono:
Cheaper than us getting a home phone...

Soooo Amazon is having troubles (errors for the past week solid much)...anyone have any other suggestions on where to go to get awesome phones free w/ new activation?

edit: T-Mobile or Cingular please...