Quantcast

Best climbing f/s bike??

Thepagoda

Chimp
Aug 31, 2002
Davis, CA
I'd recommend something with a suspension setup like that of the truth. this setup climbs pretty well and descends well. For my style riding it is nice. I don't know anything about the VPP designs except that on paper they look good. best advice though, don't buy a bike because it looks pretty. Definately take a test spin if you can.

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by MTB Freak
why not try the Christini AWD bike? that bike would be able to climb any hill, bob or no bob.

Christini
anyone with thoughts on these? they are probably bears, but they sound SO interesting. i would love to have one trying to get up some wet, snow covered, rooed/rutted climbs here in the NE.

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
I had the Jamis Dakar pro for about a year. Good climber. The GF Sugar is suppose to be great. The truth is very good too. However nobody had raved about their XC FS's climbing ability like my buddy with the new Epic.

- JB
My humble opines on some I have ridden:

Giant NRS: great climber for XC, less active than some designs suspension will not move unless impact force exceeds pedal force (good for the XC racer looking for suspension for the way down)

Gary Fisher Sugars: one of the bets f/s tecnical steeds out there. Roomier cockpit than most. newer Sybil link frames a nice feature for some trailriding (4") or xc (2.8" travel)

Specialized FSRs: Smoother suspension articulation than a Fisher, shorter cockpit. Great technical steed. All round superb blend of style, technical ability, and xc prowess

Epic: I've heard from the Dirt Rag gang that their is a breif hiatus before the shock gets the message that you can feel. Also, it will not compress during a bunny hop unless you hop once first (restricts shock movement from your downward compressions)

Santa Cruz Blur: the winner here I think (but I'd rather have a Truth or Foes). The do anything bike. Light, with gobs of travel (4" feels like 6").

SC Superlight: Newer designs seem to outshine single pivots, but hey, its got just one link to worry about/clean, and Alison Dunlap rides one when she's on f/s. Need you say more?

Ellsworth Truth: Simply awesome craftsmanship. I'd be all over this if I had 3K.

Foes FXR: the sleeper with 5" of travel and available with a 5th Element (Curnett (sp?) shock), but with XC geometry. looks interesting, never been on this - anyone with comments here?

Now I am very sad I do not have million bucks or a garage big enough for them all. For now, its me and my Giant...