Quantcast

Best Cogs and/or best/cheapest place to get them??

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
I am looking for a light 20 tooth and maybe 18tooth cog for my single speed. I have an endlessbike cog now which i love...

any ideas?

sorry if this has been a topic already i have not been on the site in forever....

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
HI GUYS Ive Missed you SO!!! I could not stay away any longer:-) How are my RM friends? Heidi are you still in bend and if so when can I visit? Oh and how is the knee holding up? My email address is singlespeedjo@gmail.com drop me a line.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Surly cogs strong wide base so not to chew up you freebody. Definately better then the endless cogs and are steel. if you want more expensive Chris Kings are nice. Boones are really expensive and I think they are discontinued

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Rennen. Hands down for value. Strong, light & cheap ($33-).
the range of sizes suck on Rennen cogs. Surly's you have a greater range, they are cheaper then rennen and a better cog. Also Chris Kings are nice but more expensive.

The Boones are really light, made of Ti instead of cromo and really expensive but really beautiful.
http://www.boonerings.com/cr/orderformchainring.html

http://www.singleandfixed.com/shop/category_2/Boone-Ti-Single-Speed-Cogs.html?shop_param=cid=&

Last edited:

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
the range of sizes suck on Rennen cogs. Surly's you have a greater range, they are cheaper then rennen and a better cog.
Rennen has a range of 13t - 25t. Surly has a range of 13t - 22t.
Rennen cogs are machined to tighter tolerances, have a taller tooth profile, are much lighter (7075-T6), and not to mention look wicked pissah.
Rennen is about $5- more though, for that "Made in the USA" ego stroking.

Edit: I've ridden both in the past 10 days and share my humble opinion.

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I would get a King Steel model, I destroyed a endless cog in a very short time.
endless cogs are garbage. Kings are too expensive. I run Surlys on 3 of my bike, 1 buddy likes Rennen also and my other buddy has been running a Boone.
When I am in themarket for a new cog I will try a Rennen. For the price of a king might as well get a Boone and be pure sex.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
there actually isnt a dif between the two, they are the same.
actually they are not. from the hive/chub website:

axle material: AL (SS), Steel (DJ)

bolt material: ti (SS), stainless (DJ

What's the difference between the Chub Single Rear and the Chub DirtJumper?
Two things. The Chub Single Rear has an aluminum axle while the Dirtjumper has a heat treated steel axle for increased impact strength. The other difference is the Single Rear uses Titanium M10 bolts and the Dirtjumper is spec'ed with Stainless Steel bolts.

also what is the smallest cog you can find for those? I would need a 12t

Last edited: