Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Titanium

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Carbon Fiber

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters
R

RideMonkey

What is the best frame material? I love steel, but I've been eyeing some titanium rides. Aluminum is best for full suspension........

stan

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
Arcadia
I'd hafta say Al coz it seems softer ( believe it or not) than my old steel HT, but then again the manufacturer claims up to 1" of rear axle compliability, and it does feel softer than my freeride bike... i can't say much about the others coz i haven't tried em, and i know i'm gonna get flamed for that... hehe

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Well after haveing one alu full sus frame fail dramaticaly on me I got vote for steel for your bouncy beast and jump bikes!
I ride a Keewee k98 which is made frome mill spec steel (aint no way I'm gona break it).:D :cool:

ridemonkey2

Chimp
Jul 2, 2001
Here
Duh! What steel ISN'T made to a mills specification? Did you get a copy of the mill test report? What was the yeald point that you say you're not going to excead?

Jul 1, 2001
Humboldt Nation
That's Mil Spec with one L. Mil Specs aren't just for steel either. You can find them on just about all metals and many other products too, ie; oils, greases, hardware, gasket materials, you name it. If the military uses it, the manufacturer has to meet the specified criteria. That's all it means.

Jul 1, 2001
Humboldt Nation
I'm going to plead the fifth on this one. I own three bicycles and all of them are aluminum. That is NOT because I think aluminum is "the best" bicycle frame material. It just happens that is what the bikes I chose are made of. I chose the bike for its merits not its material. I have ridden carbon bikes and steel bikes too and have no complaints about any of the materials used. I think all these materials have their place in the bicycle world.

Buffalo Dick

Chimp
Jul 8, 2001
Titanium COULD be the best if it was alloyed to be used for bicycles, but it's not. It's not stiff enough for heavier riders.
Carbonfiber is NOT for ever, it degrades in sunlight. Aluminum will work harden if bent. So is steel for real?