Quantcast

Best freeride fork?

My boyfriend is suggesting a Jr. T but others are suggesting a Super T or a Boxxer. Problem is, I hear that even though Boxxers are light (good), they are supposedly high-maintenance (bad). I also RARELY adjust my suspension, so I also probably don't NEED a highly-adjustable fork. I'm gonna be spending a lot of time at Whistler this summer and taking a Spokeswomen camp and more lessons, so I expect to progress, but right now I'm only doing smaller stuff. Mostly I want something that will leave me a little less beat-up at the end of the day at Whistler, but not so heavy that it makes lifting the front end a nightmare. At Whistler I'm mostly riding A-line and Dirt Merchant, but I want to progress to bigger drops/jumps, more skinnies and more-technical/steeper DH...and have a fork that will help, not hinder. Suggestions?
(P.S. I'm building up a hardtail for some stuff, specifically skinnies and urban, so I want to build my Bullit for stuff where I actually need suspension).
One more note: I'm 5'7" and about 140, so not petite but not as strong as the boys either.

Mar 31, 2005
colorado
i'm riding the rockshox pike u-turn. the adjustable travel from 140-95mm makes it a good fork for all kinds of riding...its cushy enuff for the big hits & can be turned down for jumping too. not too shabby.

radjockette

Monkey
Jun 26, 2004
PNW woods
If you can find an older super T then go for that. I'm talking the model before they went with larger stanchion tubes. I have a 2K bullit with a 01 super T and it is the bomb. Maintenance free and light weight. My setup is 6 and 6; and I'm only 5'5" and 130lbs and I can huck nicely with it.

Whateve way you go, you definitely will want to go with a lighter fork. The new sc long travel forks are a great option also. If you want maintenance free, then Marzocchi is the way to go.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i second the older marzocchi!! i am on an '02 jrt(7") with super internals (better) and it is pretty light, my wife is on an '01 jrt (6") and she likes it alot
also you can get air caps for any of these forks wich allows you to remove the spring and possibly oil (only one side) to make it even lighter!
do some research, also marzocchi forks are a breeze to take apart and change oil, etc

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
I'm 5'9" 135 lbs and I ride a Foes with a 888 and I love it...may seem a little heavy at first...but nothing a few pushups can't take care of...plus, when you don't get the front end up enough...it makes up for it in plush travel...but it is highly adjustable, which you don't seem interested in...but I might add, once you figure out where you like to set it and for what terrain...you'll never want a no brainer fork again... :thumb: (and I will take all the no brainer stuff I can get usually)

thought I'd add that it is a spendy fork...so you might want to go with a Jr T...had that before and loved it too...

downhill24/7

Chimp
Jan 31, 2005
Boulder
let me tell ya, i have a JR T and i snapped it today on this hit here, this exact pic, seconds later my bike was screwed and i was clearly airbourne..

which led to this...

which was followed by my brilliant discovery of this,

to then go home, and hear this...
"Dang, I remember snapping the bridge on a Marzocci fork after landing one of the doubles at serpent. All I got was being laughed by my friend Doug and Heather cuz I landed face first and shoulder. I went Interbike with a swollen face and bag of scratches that weekend. I talked to Marzocchi and sent my fork and they said; "You're sh*t out of luck." I just forgot the whole thing and moved on. (orven).
i loved that fork, it was great, im hoping they will back it up cuz my injury should have been soo much worse i cant stress enough how lucky i am. the jr t is a great fork, i just got unlucky, and ive heard theyre pretty good about warranties, but now im learning otherwise, its a gamble. good luck, grerat fork, but they seem kinda sketchy to me now. look for yourself, theres noway it should have broke on that little hit

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
that sucks about your Jr T downhill24/7...I wouldn't totally get discouraged on JrT's though...I ride with a guy that does 40ft gaps...and 20 ft drops on a Jr T...and the only thing he's broken are 8 bones...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I cracked my fisher level betty, with the warranty, they will probably give me a sugar which I willl sell to build a bullit. I am going to get a used frame and used super t ( on ebay fairly new ones are all under $300)

Nov 14, 2004
W.Seattle
downhill24/7 said:
to then go home, and hear this...
"Dang, I remember snapping the bridge on a Marzocci fork after landing one of the doubles at serpent. All I got was being laughed by my friend Doug and Heather cuz I landed face first and shoulder. I went Interbike with a swollen face and bag of scratches that weekend. I talked to Marzocchi and sent my fork and they said; "You're sh*t out of luck." I just forgot the whole thing and moved on. (orven).
i loved that fork, it was great, im hoping they will back it up cuz my injury should have been soo much worse i cant stress enough how lucky i am. the jr t is a great fork, i just got unlucky, and ive heard theyre pretty good about warranties, but now im learning otherwise, its a gamble. good luck, grerat fork, but they seem kinda sketchy to me now. look for yourself, theres noway it should have broke on that little hit

looks more like jumps to flat..........
i rock my 2004 jr.t at North Shore all the time, fromme, cypress, woodlot and so on. hiting drops, rolls, gapers, even g-ing it out or rock faces.
2004- 2005 is the way to.
but be take note, that only open them if you need to. dont bother to change the oil or seals, only if you need to. ride it till it leeks.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I'll second the motion on the '01 super t I also had a 6X6 bullit and that thing flat rocked!

On the other hand, not sure how much you want to spend but the fox 40's are pretty light and will most likely stand up to any punishment you will ever dish out on them. Oh and fox damping is just pure :drool: :drool:

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
I don't know enough to be in depth, but I do know that the internals are different for various years of supetT's. That's why everyone is pushing toward the older versions. [I didn't see anyone mentioning WHY they like the older models]. Someone who knows the details, please do tell ... :D

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
BuddhaRoadkill said:
I don't know enough to be in depth, but I do know that the internals are different for various years of supetT's. That's why everyone is pushing toward the older versions. [I didn't see anyone mentioning WHY they like the older models]. Someone who knows the details, please do tell ... :D
04 supers have one hscv cartridge, and one ssv. 03 has 2 hscv, but is heavier and has 1.5" of higher axle to crown height, and a cryofit lower crown so you cant adjust the a2c. both have 7" travel. the 02 super t has dual hscv, much lower axle to crown, weighs conciderably less, but still 7" travel, the 01 is the same as the 02, but with 6" travel.