Quantcast

Best Hardtail Freeride Bike

rogue22

Chimp
Dec 2, 2007
ya im new here so ill start off with posting my 05 iron horse yakuza chimpira.

03 sherman flick
speed v saddle
forte loco front rim

no huge upgrades
Am I the only one that noticed his fork looks pretty bent?:huh:

rogue22

Chimp
Dec 2, 2007
haha i hope not! oh well dont use that frame or fork anymore. Santa Cruz Jackal with a pike is what i run now
well then Im happy for you that you didn't die, and you have a much better bike now. I loved my jackal, wish I still had it

rid3HB

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
well then Im happy for you that you didn't die, and you have a much better bike now. I loved my jackal, wish I still had it
Haha. Thanks, much appreciation. But i have to ask, are they really bent? Are they really bent badly? Honest to god i have no idea.

rogue22

Chimp
Dec 2, 2007
Haha. Thanks, much appreciation. But i have to ask, are they really bent? Are they really bent badly? Honest to god i have no idea.
to me it deffinately looks like the steerer tube is bent, and if that is bent at all, I would consider that a serious problem. Notice how the angle of the fork legs looks like it would intersect the angle of the head tube? Did you front wheel case it ever? Its hard to tell, but it could be the picture

rid3HB

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
to me it deffinately looks like the steerer tube is bent, and if that is bent at all, I would consider that a serious problem. Notice how the angle of the fork legs looks like it would intersect the angle of the head tube? Did you front wheel case it ever? Its hard to tell, but it could be the picture
hmm... yep it does look that way. I still have that fork in storage so ill go take a peek when i have time and see if it was the photo or if the fork was really bent. I dont remember casing it in the front but then again i did crash quite a few times on that bike and fork so we will definately see.

Yangpei

Chimp
May 31, 2005
Pasadena
I recently decided to build up a FR / AM burly hardtail that can run a 160mm fork, have a reasonably slack HA (67-68 deg), and be reasonably light. I looked at several frames, but decided on a Sinister Ridge. I got it back from the shop today. It's ready for it's first ride. She weighs 29.3 lbs with a pretty burly build.

Attachments

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I recently decided to build up a FR / AM burly hardtail that can run a 160mm fork, have a reasonably slack HA (67-68 deg), and be reasonably light. I looked at several frames, but decided on a Sinister Ridge. I got it back from the shop today. It's ready for it's first ride. She weighs 29.3 lbs with a pretty burly build.

Lovin that Ridge Yangpei!

Well done!

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
this is mine, in it's momentary "city"-look. but it's been (ab)used in the dirt as well. in it's the dirt appearance it has a 70mm thomson stem and of course different tires (usuallay some maxxis minions).

Last edited:

frmovrfnctn

Chimp
Feb 18, 2008
I don't know, you'd prob. have to ask someone that lives in DC:brows:
I got the frame second hand because they aren't being made anymore, it came with the sticker and I just decided to keep it on there.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Holy sh*t, back from the dead...

Just picked up this gem for a steal from Jenson for some AM and light (maybe heavy) FR action.

09 Jamis Komodo. Soon to have Juicy's, new fork (Pike possibly) and some neon green accents. Yeah, I said it. :p I'm enjoying the slack(er) head angle (used to ride a Diamondback Sorrento like a madman). Here are a couple action pics of the Sorrento and some static pic of the Komodo. I'll have some K1 action pics up when I get some quality trail time in...

here is a line at a park in Ft. Lauderdale. ~15' double into a left berm into 2 sets of DJ's.

but she got stolen so I just bought an 09 Jamis Komodo, and I freaking LOVE it.

Easy*

Chimp
Oct 8, 2010
Lowell MA
Heres my new rig - 09' Kona Five-O Deluxe

Just picked it up last week after a 3 year hiatus. After riding an M1 back in the day this bike is refreshing. Relatively light, and makes DJ's and rythm sections so much more enjoyable. It still rides moderate DH trails nicely too.

Me and some buddies hit Highland park for the shakedown and had a great time. The bike handled hellion like a dream and was even good on NE style. Great geometry that resembles Kona's FR/DH bikes. Low slung with good rake up front.

I threw on a Sunline VOne 50mm stem since I was reaching for the bars a bit with the stock stem. Other plans in the near future are EBC kevlar pads and a 203mm rotor up front since I was getting some fade with the stock resin pads.

Last edited:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Heres my new rig - 09' Kona Five-O Deluxe

Just picked it up last week after a 3 year hiatus. After riding an M1 back in the day this bike is refreshing. Relatively light, and makes DJ's and rythm sections so much more enjoyable. It still rides moderate DH trails nicely too.

Me and some buddies hit Highland park for the shakedown and had a great time. The bike handled hellion like a dream and was even good on NE style. Great geometry that resembles Kona's FR/DH bikes. Low slung with good rake up front.

I threw on a Sunline VOne 50mm stem since I was reaching for the bars a bit with the stock stem. Other plans in the near future are EBC kevlar pads and a 203mm rotor up front since I was getting some fade with the stock resin pads.

What size is that frame?

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
my 2007 Sinister Ridge, awesome do-it-all bike. I've literally ridden in on jumps, XC, and full on freeride:

Riding it on some of the wood features at Ray's Indoor:

Last edited:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
my 2007 Sinister Ridge, awesome do-it-all bike. I've literally ridden in on jumps, XC, and full on freeride:

Very nice. I ran a Pike on mine for a while and HATED it. As soon as I started to run it with a longer fork, the bike came alive. Geo might be different as I think mine is from 2005 - designed around the Sherman Breakout (170mm). Now that the Lyrik is on there, I won't go back to a shorter travel fork.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
Very nice. I ran a Pike on mine for a while and HATED it. As soon as I started to run it with a longer fork, the bike came alive. Geo might be different as I think mine is from 2005 - designed around the Sherman Breakout (170mm). Now that the Lyrik is on there, I won't go back to a shorter travel fork.
Gobs of peeps trashed on the breakout series of forks but I gotta say my 04ish ridge/05 breakout plus 170 was prolly the best FR HT combo I've ever owned. Nothing has come close and I sincerely miss that set up.

this is it before I got the breakout +:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Gobs of peeps trashed on the breakout series of forks but I gotta say my 04ish ridge/05 breakout plus 170 was prolly the best FR HT combo I've ever owned. Nothing has come close and I sincerely miss that set up.

this is it before I got the breakout +:
VERY NICE!
My first fully was a SInister SPlinter with a Breakout + on it. Really loved that bike. I'm now on my second Splinter MX, but with a Totem this time. The Totem is one hell of a nice fork and I have on occasion wondered how it would do on the Ridge (very well I think). The Breakout, as a FR fork, was quite good although not the most reliable. The Lyrik absolutely kills it and gives the Ridge (or in my case the Splinter first) that "just perfect" feel.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
since we're on splinters...

mandatory ride pic:

took that bike pic as I was almost finished building it up. That must have been 5 or so years ago - maybe longer. had a lot of issues with the frame (linkage kept coming loose and eventually upgraded to a whole new/revised rocker set up). It rode good though. There have been gobs of improvements to it along the way I'm sure. I got a RFX after I got rid of the splinter and never looked back. Still riding an 06 and she's holding strong.

back to hardtails, here's my DNA from way back. Was a fun, fun bike.

lastly, another ridge pic. I had three different ridge frames over the years. real nifty geo on those.

Marcus

Chimp
May 26, 2002
Surrey
I missed my Imperial so much, I found another one. Even though I believe this is an SL. Brake cables need some cleaning up.

Marcus

Chimp
May 26, 2002
Surrey
I recently had my second Splinter frame rebuilt. The adjustable pull rod gave out, so I had it replaced with a fixed (as in solid I-beam) piece. Don't have photos, but it sure rides nicely. I love it.
Just wondering how it gives out? Do the internal threads just strip over time? Or is it when we run it too far out (slack I guess) that the threads just give?

I'm hopeful mine doesnt give out.

SLOPE

Monkey
Aug 24, 2001
Arnold, Maryland
That is not an SL, they have a straight seat tube. Sweet ride though!

I'm on my fourth Imp and each time I regret selling it.

Last edited:

Marcus

Chimp
May 26, 2002
Surrey
That is not an SL, they have straighter seat tubes. Sweet ride though!

I'm on my fourth Imp and each time I regret selling it.
Did all the newer frames (redesigned dropouts) have holes for the bolt on grind guards? As my frame has two threaded holes on the drive side chain stay.

I also recall the HT being slacker on my first imperial.

As for selling it, I'll never make that mistake again.