Quantcast

Best resort in Colorado

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
My perents ended up with a free weeks lodging and want to go to colorado, but have left the exact place up to me, what is the best ski resort that operates lifts?

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Silverton. Hands down. And I've never even ridden there. Well, at least not in the summer. :D
...from the guy that never takes a lift up.... for biking reasons.

If you had to pick one place, Vail would be my pick based on what I know. Lots of stuff around there, and the DH is great!

Keystone is okay as well.

I hear silverton is the bomb, if that's all you want to do... and follow Bender down some insane sheeiit.

jakazz

Chimp
Feb 12, 2006
Vail,....keystone is right down the street, broke my c-bone there once. vail rocks good parties,..every night baby... also head over beevercreek, basically party in vail, bike in summit co. and eagle co., then shoot out to fruita for a day trip, its like an hour and a half from vail, and if you really want head to moab its a 2-3 hr drive, and great mex food. actually there is a great mex joint just off 70 in eagle... mmmm....pitchers of margaritas....

Durango gets pretty hot last time I went, but dont know much down there.

vail/eagle has tons of golf, horseback riding and other "stuff" for the folks

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Keystone and Vail are fairly equal. They do not have a ton of runs but what they do have is good. Keystone is all about the wide open let your bike go kind of riding. Vail has a few more "techy" trails but the flow is interupted a few times on the way down. I really can't say I prefer one over the other.

fortfun19 said:
Keystone, this year will be nuts. A couple of my buddies are trail workers and designers, trust me you will need lots of bike.
I hope they build some nice technical(this does not mean wooden stunts) trails. Keystone could really benefit from some nice trails that require bike handling.

jakazz said:
Vail,....keystone is right down the street, broke my c-bone there once. vail rocks good parties,..every night baby... also head over beevercreek, basically party in vail, bike in summit co. and eagle co., then shoot out to fruita for a day trip, its like an hour and a half from vail, and if you really want head to moab its a 2-3 hr drive, and great mex food. actually there is a great mex joint just off 70 in eagle... mmmm....pitchers of margaritas....

Durango gets pretty hot last time I went, but dont know much down there.

vail/eagle has tons of golf, horseback riding and other "stuff" for the folks
Fruita is about 3 hours away and moab is 4-5 hours from vail.

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
TheMontashu said:
what about durango?
Durango and Telluride are both pretty chill towns with decent riding intown.

Both are within reasonable distances to Silverton, if you are going to be bringing that v10. The mounatin has IMO the best lift access riding in the state. It is not Bender Rampage stuff either, although he is there building and riding. More like a bit of everything good DH strewn down 2K vertical feet.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Telluride. Hands down - there are so many dh trails there it's unbelievable - find yourself a local (any of the guys at the paragon shop), they'll show you around. :cool: That and the fact that the gondola is free, the town is awesome, and Ouray/Durango/Silverton are close by are all bonuses . . . I would definately base myself out of Telluride though.

About Durango - I don't believe they run summer lifts. I may be wrong. There are some amazing and very long dh rides in the area through.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Beast said:
Telluride. Hands down - there are so many dh trails there it's unbelievable - find yourself a local (any of the guys at the paragon shop), they'll show you around. :cool: That and the fact that the gondola is free, the town is awesome, and Ouray/Durango/Silverton are close by are all bonuses . . . I would definately base myself out of Telluride though.

About Durango - I don't believe they run summer lifts. I may be wrong. There are some amazing and very long dh rides in the area through.
You're right, they don't run it. You can shuttle DMR but they don't exactly approve of use of the DH course because the forest service deemed it "too dangerous." ....I'm told

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Another vote for Telluride. Their trails are...how do I describe them...off the hook? Super gnar? Nutz? Absolutely fantastic? Anyway, they can't be missed. But like Beast said you won't find them on the map, but ask anyone, and I mean anyone (we asked the liftie) and they'll point you in the right direction. Plus, for your parents sake the town is awesome as well. With any luck there will be some type of music fest, food fest, film fest, mtn towns are all about the "fests" in the summer. Again, not to be missed.

But if for some reason Telly won't work (it is far from DIA and their sales tax is 18%(!), I know cuz I just booked a condo for the race up there), I would recommend Vail. If you get bored of Vail, talk your folks into going to Keystone for a daytrip.

Really you can't lose. Just remember to have fun!

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
SkaredShtles said:
All I really know is that it's a $hitty, $hitty, $HITTY place to ski. :mad:
98% of the time, but i got the best powder day of my life there. 2.5 feet of fresh, 2 degrees, frost bite, no one out...epic. the big resorts got 3 inches. but yeah, the "great white cloud" hovers over that place...gross.

anarchyUK

Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Boulder CO
ya on a pow days (esp week days) theres no one and you can just shred....but most days its ice with way over priced food and so so many gapers.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
©2001 said:
98% of the time, but i got the best powder day of my life there. 2.5 feet of fresh, 2 degrees, frost bite, no one out...epic. the big resorts got 3 inches. but yeah, the "great white cloud" hovers over that place...gross.
I had a mid-week "powder" day there that turned out to be a complete clusterfvck. :mumble: Hour long lines and $hitty terrain. What a magnificent combo. :mumble:

dirtyamerican

Monkey
Jan 15, 2005
at my own freeride trail
I've only been to a few resorts but Keystone is my fav. Techy DH, with new stuff this year to test your real skills. The FR park at the bottom is great to hit while the lifts are shut down. And there's some sweet dj action in Silverthorne across interstate but I don't know how to get to them unless I'm actually there, driving to it. Silverton sounds interesting but I don't know that much about it except it's probably above our skill levels.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I actually came into the colorado forum looking for information on the Silverton Resort.

They have a video on their site (http://www.thebent.com/silvmtn/05bike_qthigh.mov). Looking at it, it seems as though they do actually have a few beginner/intermediate trails. Not to mention, the site claims that most of the in-trail stunts are roll-able and have exit routes, the video proves this. Personally, just about everything besides that 45 foot gap looks awesome.

The place looks super-cool. Then again, you cats are the locals. . .

dirtyamerican

Monkey
Jan 15, 2005
at my own freeride trail
I read somewhere that Silverton is only open 5 days this year,.....??? wtf?

Here's the email I got (although the link at the bottom makes it seem like there are other days, so.....?:

Silverton Mountain Downhill Bike Season 5 Days Only this Year

Don’t miss June 30th-July 4th…the 5 most important biking days of the summer

Hello Riders,

Silverton Mountain will only be open for Summer DH/Freeriding starting Friday June 30 through and including July 4th(Tues). The new hours of operation will be 8:00am to 1:00pm to maximize your riding without lightning delays and still leave your afternoons open for shuttle runs until sunset. We are tired of fighting nature, so we will be opening the mountain extra early in the morning this year. We rarely were able to stay open into the afternoons because of lightning, so the new schedule should get you more riding each day.

NEW TRAILS

The trail crew will be working the entire month of June building new trails for the opening. A newly approved trail on BLM land will be built from the base to the peak. It will be a machine built high speed jump trail unlike any other trail in the US. We have wanted to build this flowing jump trail for several years and now have the approval needed.

Why only 5 days?

Our passion for building the very best DH/Freeride trails is still very strong. But due to the lengthy construction time of building the new trail we will only be open for 5 days this year. It is not cost effective for us to stay open for the full summer right now, but we are committed to having the best lift served trails in the US and our building efforts will show it.

The 5 Days of Freeride Fury Comp will be held during that time and it should be insane. Camp out for the whole weekend so you don't miss any action. We are building new trails for a full month before we open so we will need a strong showing during the 5 days. Check out: http://www.silvertonmountain.com/news.php

Hope to see you here!

Aaron and Jen Brill

Silverton Mountain

Experience the Adventure

970-387-5706 (please leave a message)

www.silvertonmountain.com

P.O. Box 856, Silverton, CO 81433

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
dirtyamerican said:
I read somewhere that Silverton is only open 5 days this year,.....??? wtf?
Not sure why Silverton would do this. I have ridden there quite a few times in the last couple of years, and almost every time there were quite a few guys there. I don't know the financial details, but it sure seemed like they would be making at least a modest profit. They definitely have to close the lift down due to lightning quite a bit. I would say that the lift closed early due to weather more than 50% of the days I've ridden there.

To the original poster of the thread: Telluride definitely has some awesome riding. Everything in town is ridiculously expensive, but your parents sound rich, so no worries I guess.