Quantcast

Best Road Tire?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
What is the best road tire out there for just general riding? I've been riding Michelin Pro Races, but those are about to wear out and I want to try something different. I've heard that the Vittoria Open Tubulars are sweet, but are more of a race tire and wear out too quickly. I wish Maxxis made a good road tire, that would make my life a lot easier. Thanks.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My favorite tire of all time is the clincher version of the Vittoria Open Corsa CX TT in the 23mm size. It delivers a plush ride while still being a fast roller... however they are expensive. After running them for the last 5 or so years I have bought my last set - I just cant afford them anymore - they they do wear fast and slice easily. :monkey:

Don't bother with IRC Redstorms - I had those for about a month, worst tire ever but plenty cheap.

Right now I am running two sets of Hutchinsons, the newest set are 21mm Fusion Comps. I have about 400 miles on them and they appear to hold up well. I also did a race that was downhill in the pouring rain at speeds up to 42MPH- these tires railed perfectly on twisty mountain roads. I felt very confident even with the heavy rain. In dry conditions you can lean on them pretty well through sharp corners. So far I like them just fine and the price was under $40.00 each with tax.

The other set I have been running on my training bike are 23mm Gold Carbon Comps... these are fine but nothing to write home about, perhaps because they are 23s??? I'm not sure what I paid for them but they have over 1000 miles on them and definately show the wear.

Its pretty hard to find a tight fast rolling road tire that will give more than 1000 miles. I have tried a few tires that supposedly would wear forever but they did not inspire confidence at speed or in wet conditions.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
for just riding? i usually pick up something that will handle slick conditions as wells as dry. the BEST tires ever are usually on sale for about 10 to 15 bucks each.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The Toninator said:
for just riding? i usually pick up something that will handle slick conditions as wells as dry. the BEST tires ever are usually on sale for about 10 to 15 bucks each.
Isn't Texas pretty flat? You really do need quality tires if you are bombing down the mountian side at fifty miles an hour. I've tried cheaper tires but found they lacked grip and didn't inspire confidence at speed.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Serial Midget said:
Isn't Texas pretty flat? You really do need quality tires if you are bombing down the mountian side at fifty miles an hour. I've tried cheaper tires but found they lacked grip and didn't inspire confidence at speed.
no texas aint flat at ALL y'all. Houston is flat and close to the sea, right now i'm only about 35 feet above sea level.
Austin and SA area can get up to 2000/2500 feet and nother and far west are pushing 8000. it's not the 14000 of other states but holds it's own. now on to the tires. a good Maxxis Detinator
that maxxis calls a 'touring' tire seems, to me, like it would handle thouse conditions just fine but again i'm a flat lander. they can be had for about 15 bucks. My first set lasted about 2000 miles i dont think this set is going to make it.
here's a couple more though the sizes vary slightly which is probably why their on sale. I ordered the kenda's and think they will probably do just fine.
let me know if i'm missing something the roadie stuff is all weird to me.
kenda's
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=TI707B00
maxxis fuse
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=TI607B02
MAXXIS XENITH
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=TI607B00
MAXXIS XEPHER
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=TI607B01
lots more just check them out.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I have two favorite fast training/ racing tires.

1. Michelin Axial Carbons- pros- well designed casing, belted, good mix between grip and durability. Con- at ~$40 a little pricy for a training tire
2. Vredstein Fortezzas - Pro- rad open tubular type high tpi casing. Perfect compound- Fortezzas are the only tire I trust completely on wet cobbles, very puncture resistant. con- hard to find, expensive

I always run 23s for racing and fast training. I run 25's come cross season, usally some old 25c Michelin axial pros, for more float on dirt road adventures and less a chance of pinching.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
What is the wear like on the Vredsteins? I want to try a higher TPI tire, like I said, all I've ever really ridden has been those Michelin Pro Races.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I have a pair of the Fortezzas (single compound, not tri-comp) That I probally have 4,000 miles on, that definetly need to be replaced soon though...

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
hey i picked up a pair of maxxis xaniths, 160 psi, 700X23, but they come also in a 700x20 and 190psi, they're awesome, and i got them for 19$ for the pair !!!

Last night I realized both my tires are hurtin. I don't know ANYTHING about road tires - I mean I don't even know what size I should get - right now I have 25s, should I go smaller?

so HELP :) !!!!

I'm riding my stock Michelins right now (OCR 1). The roads out here are generally in good shape and I'm not a speed demon by any means.

what should I look for?

suggestions?

THANKS!

edit: what do you think of the Kenda Koncept?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
MtnBikerChk said:
Last night I realized both my tires are hurtin. I don't know ANYTHING about road tires - I mean I don't even know what size I should get - right now I have 25s, should I go smaller?

so HELP :) !!!!

I'm riding my stock Michelins right now (OCR 1). The roads out here are generally in good shape and I'm not a speed demon by any means.

what should I look for?

suggestions?

THANKS!
Hey since your kind of short i'm not sure that size wheels your running could be 650cc but more than likely 700's. 25's are ok but once you get used to riding a road bike you can switch to 23's, i think you just might be ready too.
i'd try something cheap with a textured sidewall and a smooth center. like the maxxis's stated above, Detinator's. you can get them pretty cheap off of maxxis's website.

The Toninator said:
Hey since your kind of short i'm not sure that size wheels your running could be 650cc but more than likely 700's. 25's are ok but once you get used to riding a road bike you can switch to 23's, i think you just might be ready too.
i'd try something cheap with a textured sidewall and a smooth center. like the maxxis's stated above, Detinator's. you can get them pretty cheap off of maxxis's website.

Thanks Tony - they are definitely 700s though.

what does a textured sidewall do for me?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
MtnBikerChk said:
For the price I would pass. You'll want kevlar beads for those $$, I'm not sure you'd want to run 145 PSI in for anything other than racing - for normal road rides I run 90 to 110 PSI. I'm not sure what the minimum PSI rec is for the tires listed but I'm guessing if 145 is the max then 120 or so is the minimum.

I bought these off of eBay for $30.00 delivered and so far I like them fine, they are not as fast rolling as I am used to but $$$ are tight. They are wire bead but change easily. I put them on my training bike and ordered the same set but with a kevlar bead for my LBS from under $40.00, I'll ride them for the first tine tonight.
LINK

Serial Midget said:
For the price I would pass. You'll want kevlar beads for those $$, I'm not sure you'd want to run 145 PSI in for anything other than racing - for normal road rides I run 90 to 110 PSI. I'm not sure what the minimum PSI rec is for the tires listed but I'm guessing if 145 is the max then 120 or so is the minimum.

I bought these off of eBay for $30.00 delivered and so far I like them fine, they are not as fast rolling as I am used to but $$$ are tight. They are wire bead but change easily. I put them on my training bike and ordered the same set but with a kevlar bead for my LBS from under $40.00, I'll ride them for the first tine tonight.
LINK
like these? http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=9781&siteid=zoQVN.o8yT0-yMVqO62bax82cq3OQ2bJHA

oh man, buying MTB tires is so much easier :(

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yes - those are the ones. With the wire beads you might find them heavy. If you are happy with the 25mm size, and have no plans to race or train with a fast group, - I would stick with what you are used to. Smaller tires are faster rollers but also ride harsher.

Even though I only have 200 miles on the new tires I think they will be fine - zero signes of wear so far. On race tires there would be little and slices by now but these look brand new. I'm pretty confident that I will get 1500 miles out of them. :)

Serial Midget said:
Yes - those are the ones. With the wire beads you might find them heavy. If you are happy with the 25mm size, and have no plans to race or train with a fast group, - I would stick with what you are used to. Smaller tires are faster rollers but also ride harsher.

Even though I only have 200 miles on the new tires I think they will be fine - zero signes of wear so far. On race tires there would be little and slices by now but these look brand new. I'm pretty confident that I will get 1500 miles out of them. :)
I definitely want to "train" faster. I use the term TRAIN lightly though. My goal is just to become a stronger faster rider so I'm not always LAST in the pack (both road and MTB).

so I'm leaning towards 23s.