Quantcast

Best SS conversion kit

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I'm looking to make my Porter into a singlespeed, and am after a kit to SS my XT hub. I've seen a bunch for sale at various places, but does anyone have any experience with one vs. another? Is there a really good one, or one that I should stay away from?

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I'm new to the SS thing, so I don't feel weird asking this:

Why use a tensioner? If there's two fixed gears, what's the point?

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
because its very hard to get the chain to be perfectly tensioned. if you do not use a tensioner, the chain will hang loosely from the two gears, and will often fall off.

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
You don't need a kit to single speed a bike. The easiest thing to do is pick a cog, ss specific or from a cassette, and use PVC or cassette spacers to space out the cog. For a tensioner, Rennen makes a good one. It is bolt on and does not use a spring. Or you might get a lucky and find a gear ratio that does not need a tensioner.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've been using the Spot kit...pretty clean look.

It's hard to say if there is a "best" kit since they all are pretty much the same thing: spacers, cog, maybe a tensioner. I would suggest getting one with multiple spacers instead of something like the Gusset 1'er which doesn't give you much in the way of chainline adjustment.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
yo radaar, you've seen how i'm running the ss on my xt hub. took a cog and threw a ton of spacers on with it. When i had it on my roast i used a tensioner cause i ran vertical dropouts and couldnt move my wheel back to tighten the chain. Now that i havehorizontal dropouts i dont have a tensioner anymore.

thats how it is now, but i am trying to get a hub with a freewheel instead of this cassette cog. The one i'm running is off an 8 speed cogset and when i'm cranking hard the chain chunks on me and i eat ****. I figure a freewheel is alot simpler and wont chunk the chain on me. When you go ss, definitly dont throw a cog from a multi speed.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I still prefer the ENO method, build up a wheel using a white industries eno hub, all problems solved, and if you find you don't like singlespeeding you can easily sell the rear wheel on ebay or anyboard that has a large SS contingent, MTBR, DirtRag etc.....

And if you do like SSing that wheel can make any bike a SS!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've used a gusset, atomlab, pvc and a bunch of spacers. They all work fine. I'd get a ss specific cog though since it's thicker and you'll be cranking on it pretty hard.

Get a rennen tensioner. They're the only one that's not spring loaded and are built by a guy who does a lot of dh and urban riding so he makes'em tough. All the other ones I've seen are spring loaded which end up being just as annoying as having a derailleur flopping around. Plus they break.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
kidwoo said:
Get a rennen tensioner. They're the only one that's not spring loaded and are built by a guy who does a lot of dh and urban riding so he makes'em tough. All the other ones I've seen are spring loaded which end up being just as annoying as having a derailleur flopping around. Plus they break.
There's a couple that don't use a spring for tension (Soulcraft, for one), but the Rennen does look like a quality component.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
went out today and spent 30 bucks on a real deal ss conversion. My knee was tired of getting thrown into my stem when the chain slipped off, and it looks better.

30 bucks later

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Well, I'm sold. If anyone wants to trade me a SS setup (tensioner and SS cog/kit) for an 8 speed XTR (Mega-9 RD, 8sp shifter, rollamajig, casette) setup, let me know. I just don't want to go through the hassle of selling the parts I have now then buying new stuff.

2000cx

Chimp
Nov 21, 2005
Philly...
McGRP01 said:
I've got the same Gusset kit on my Steelhead and it works perfectly.

What rear wheel tensioner are you using on that Steelhead? I am looking to pick on up put the only one I can find with a QR adapter is the Surly. I might have a few other questions as I am building my Steelhead up right now :P

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Use a piece of PVC pipe, it's cheap and works real well.

Had the pipe around and in a couple of minutes made the spacers with a mitre saw.

For tensioning the chain you could try to find a magic ratio and a half link to avoid the tensioner.

Half Link

PowersUSA

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
Mass
I'm setting up my Evil Sovereign as an SS this spring and I'm planning on giving --this-- spacer kit a try. The chain tensioner looks nice too. The Sovereign has adjustable dropouts so I wont be needing a tensioner.

Read a review of the spacer kit and tensioner --here--

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
2000cx said:
What rear wheel tensioner are you using on that Steelhead? I am looking to pick on up put the only one I can find with a QR adapter is the Surly. I might have a few other questions as I am building my Steelhead up right now :P
That's a Surly. You can get cheaper ones, but they don;t have the fancy bottle opener for post-ride beers! :thumb:

Fell free to PM me with any questions you might have! :)