Quantcast

Best tires for East coast and US Open?

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
Sorry if this has been discussed before. If it has, please direct me to those threads. The search is NOT working for me for some reason. Anyway...

What are some of the best options for riding on the East Coast? Beech Mtn, Snowshoe, and also for riding up at Diablo for the US open? Massanutten, and Pro GRT races as well? Anybody got opinions/input?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
These tires are the only thing that work here!

That's right.
Drop your c**ks and prepare for rocks.
From Miami to Maine, the East Coast rocks are insane!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

With that out of the way, alot of good tires work here:

Drier conditions: Butchers, Minions, Muddy Marys, Comp 16s, Highrollers, etc...

Wet and or loam/new trail: Hillbilly

$hitfest: Wet screams, storms, Dirt dans, Michy muds, etc.....

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
For a UST setup, I would say two DHFs (more common) or a DHF and DHR minions (If you like the back to wander a little more). Work pretty good in mud, are good on rocks/roots, and have very predictable slideout points.

With that said, I'm looking for a new UST setup other than the DHF super tacky/DHR 60a setup because I have consistently popped a brand new one of these in under a day at Massanutten. Otherwise however, they have been solid.

I have caught word that it is better to run the non-UST Minions for tubeless setups too.. to derail the thread, what's the consensus on this?

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
GREAT SUCCESS with my minion 3Cs. I ran 2.5s in the past, but am hopefully picking up butchers in 2.5 (aka maxxis 2.7) for this year as I want more volume. Great grip on wet rocks and stuff, which is normally like 50% of the trail. I find that trail conditions USUALLY change enough that a full spike may not be necessary unless it's a complete slopfest. When I say change, I mean that you may encounter mud pits, but in another 50 ft you may be in the woods where it's dry, or on rocks, or in loam.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
a full mud tire wouldnt be the best thing at the Open since theres a ton of rocks that get slick like snot
True story.
There are a few courses on the East Coast where I would not run a mud spike no matter the conditions. The US open is one, Massanutten another.
You are better off cutting a tire like the comp 16 to clear mud better than running spikes on a bunch of rocks.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Am I the only one that likes the butcher better than the DHF? I'll run either but to me the butcher rides almost identical in the corners but with better braking, especially in soft stuff. It seems like a go-to tire for just about any conditions, might not be ideal but it will work anywhere.

Specialized butcher, clutch, and hillbilly have all been working great for me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It sounded like specialized tires were hard to come by...the few people that do have them seem to really like them, with the general consensus that they have an improvement in cornering/lean angles over the reference dhf. You'll probably see more people on the bandwagon as time goes by.

i've been really liking my schwalbe and continental tires. fairly pricy, but chainlove has recently offered them for 50-60% off retail.

the gooey schwalbe compound is excellent in terms of grip but wears fast. i'm reserving their use as a race only tire.

i've been running the continental rain king/der kaiser combo for general riding and they've been serving me very well. despite what i heard about weak sidewalls, for the pressures i run, 26-32psi depending on terrain, they've kept their shape well. also, the black chile compound is nearly as grippy as schwalbe's gooey compound but wearing much more slowly. if chainlove wasn't have a sale on the schwalbe's, i prob would have switch to continentals entirely.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
A tire that has not been talked about in this tread is the Der Kaiser by Continental. I have ridden and raced on Michelins for years. Longer than most on RM. Been on other tires the past 2 years due to Michelin not having DH tires. Haven't found a tire I trust to push. I would say up on till this past weekend the Michelin Comp 16 was my favorite all around East Coast tire. I spent some time on the Der Kaiser this past weekend and can say I now have a tire I can trust again. It reacts much like the Comp 16 but has a little better bit when cornering.

Hope this helps some and good luck finding what works for you.

Cecil

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
just trying to get a feel. the DHF seems to be the "reference" tire that others are measured against. I don't have a ton of time on a lot of different tires (besides arrows and gazzalodis) but went out and purchased the 2.5 3C DHF/DHR combo, which just works...but I like to know what else is out there should I have the opportunity to try them.

Thanks!

i used to run dhf/dhr combo when back around 2004. they are a great all around setup, and predictable, which is why i think alot of folks love them.

the rain king / der kaiser combo i'm running is comparable, if not better in terms of compound durability and grip. the traction/grip is more consistent at all lean angles.

if you come across some contis on sale, i'd give them a try. i think you'll like them as much or more so than your maxxis dhf/dhr combo