Quantcast

Best way to print remotely from my new notebook...

J

JRB

I got the notebook set up, but don't really want the hassle of a USB cable to print photos and such. I have two printers that I use. Should I set my desktop up in a workgroup as a print server on a local network? Any ideas? Any good places on how to do it all?

I know this is a techy question, but the tech forum doesn't get much play. I just wanted to get started here.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you've got a desktop PC and a desktop printer, connect them, publish the printer on the network, add network printer on your wireless laptop and print away.

I did that and I'm an idiot :)

J

JRB

Cool - I will try that this evening. I need to make sure the network is all squared away too.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yep, it's pretty easy. Put your laptop and desktop into the same workgroup. Right click on the printer and click the Sharing section. Share it out. Then add it as a shared network printer on your laptop.

Windows will likely have a tutorial on the subject in the Help files if you get stuck.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
My thoughts...

1 -Get a router with a built in print server.

2 -Share printer as described above.

3 -Buy printer with network interface card built in, connect to router (Hardwired or wireless, doesn't matter) and share.

Of the three, number two is the easiest with the least amount of cash outlay. Number three is nice and what I run now. The printer is connected to the router and all the PC's can print to the printer. Once I add wireless into the mix I will be able to print from my laptop without any cables, from anywhere in the house. Number one does the same thing but the printer doesn't HAVE to have a NIC built in.

J

JRB

Jesus Christ this is horrible. You would think I would be intelligent enough to create workgroups and share files and printers, but no such luck. It's been 2 years since I had any Windows stuff and my brain is smoked.

J

JRB

Thanks, Wump. I am really confused that I can see the files on my notebook, but can't see the printers from it. :confused:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I assume you have a printer successfully connected and working to your desktop/non-mobile PC?

If so, go to 'printers and faxes', right click the printer, click sharing tab, click "share this printer".

Then make sure the printer driver is loaded (if needed) on your wireless, add printer, click "A network printer or...", browse for printer... should show up, yeah?

J

JRB

Well - I am trying the network wizard on the desktop again, but I never saw the printers earlier. I can't see the PC's files or printer, but I can the notebook.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Did you ever get it working, loco?

I'll tell you, I have had shares (usually file shares, but printers too) that you couldn't "see" through the Network Places, but if you manually typed the path in ("\\hostcomputer\\printername" where hostcomputer is the network name of your computer that's sharing the printer, and printername is the share name of the printer), it showed up.

You could try that when you add the printer. Go into Control Panel, open System, and click the Computer Name tab - it will tell you the computer name under "Full Computer Name" - don't include the period in the name if it puts one there.

J

JRB

I didn't get it BV. I got the notebook to share and could get to it's files, but the desktop remained a mystery. It's got something to do with a firewall, I believe, but it's not Zone Alarm. My display is far more conventional on the desktop machine, so I need to get it set up like the notebook. I may just reinstall the OS on it tonight and start over. I have all of my files on a secondary drive, so I need to just move some pics over and start over. I don't have my key or whatever for Opera and don't want to lose using that without popups. That is the only thing holding me back right now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You don't have to reinstall the OS.

There are a couple of options. The easiest one to check for is that your PCs might not be on the same subnet in your network.

Go Start/Run and type "cmd" and click OK. Type "ipconfig" and hit enter. Do the same on the other computer. The first three parts of the IP address should be the same on both computers, only the part after the last period should be different.

J

JRB

The IPs on the two are 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.100. I am going to do a diagram in a bit and post a thread in tech I guess. I want to just give up. If I didn't want to use both computers with both printers, I would just concede defeat.

When I get it working I also need to make sure it is all secure. Should I just secure the router, or can I just secure the router??? It's a Linksys Wireless B that was given to me.

I could just get some print servers, but 2 will likely cost me $150.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
I want to just give up. If I didn't want to use both computers with both printers, I would just concede defeat.
Hey hey, easy there, you can get this working :)

So, you can see the shares on the laptop from the desktop, but you can't see the shares on the desktop from the laptop - is that right?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i was able to set up Mandi's parents' house such that they could all print off the same printer using a wireless network. no clue how the hell i did it. accomplished the same with mine and Mandi's apartment, but we're wired. and i have no clue how i did it.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
Hey hey, easy there, you can get this working :)

So, you can see the shares on the laptop from the desktop, but you can't see the shares on the desktop from the laptop - is that right?
Yes - that is correct.

Inbred - one is cabled, one is wireless. The network can't see the interface though, so that shouldn't matter. They all connect. There is just an issue with the stupid sharing on the desktop.

I have a diagram, but this has me so worked up that I can't attach it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
More questions:

Can you see the desktop computer at all when you are going through the Network Places? Do you just not see the shares? Or is the entire computer missing?

Are both computers members of the same workgroup?

Are both computers running the same OS?

J

JRB

I could see both machines on each two days ago. Yesterday I could not. They are both members of loco_home and the desktop is locogringos and the notebook is loco. The desktop is running XP Pro and the notebook is running XP Media Center.

J

JRB

When connected by USB it prints fine BS. Shouldn't you be calling Enduro Fork Seals???

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Okay, here are some things to check, mostly on the laptop since your desktop seems to see things fine:

Go into the network properties (right click the connection, click properties). Make sure TCP/IP is installed. Make sure File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is there and checked. Make sure Client for Microsoft Networks is there and checked.

Click on TCP/IP and click Properties. Do you have static IP addresses set up, or does it obtain everything automatically?

Go to the Advanced tab. Go to the Settings of Windows Firewall and turn it off for now. Turn off ANY other firewall packages you might have, and that might include your Anti Virus software if it comes with a firewall.

Hit OK out of everything. Go Start/Run, type "command" and type "ipconfig /all" - look for something called "Node Type" and tell me what it says.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
Okay, here are some things to check, mostly on the laptop since your desktop seems to see things fine:

Go into the network properties (right click the connection, click properties). Make sure TCP/IP is installed. Make sure File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is there and checked. Make sure Client for Microsoft Networks is there and checked.

Click on TCP/IP and click Properties. Do you have static IP addresses set up, or does it obtain everything automatically?

Go to the Advanced tab. Go to the Settings of Windows Firewall and turn it off for now. Turn off ANY other firewall packages you might have, and that might include your Anti Virus software if it comes with a firewall.

Hit OK out of everything. Go Start/Run, type "command" and type "ipconfig /all" - look for something called "Node Type" and tell me what it says.

I'll have to check all of this tonight, as I am at work, but now that you mention it, the Norton 2006 stuff does have some firewall stuff I think. Hmmm. I know file and print sharing is checked. I'll have to check the Client Networks piece though. Nothing is static.

J

JRB

N8 said:
I wonder when loco is going to chime and scream for this thread to be moved to the Tech Forum?
I don't care if it gets moved, but you'll also notice that I am ALWAYS kidding when I joke about a thread being moved. I post everything in the lounge, in a self-serving manner. I do not care what gets posted here. I have the ability to ignore threads, and if I miss it, it's the Internet and won't alter my life much. It's not like we get global warnings here.

Additionally - BV is the one helping me, so I am sure he'll check the tech forum if it's moved. Move away - I don't care.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
Nothing is static.
Okay, well we're going to set it all to static because I did have a bizarre situation where that fixed some connection problems I was having - I think it was buggy firmware on my router.

Here's your instructions for later, for setting everything to static:

Go Start / Run, "command", "ipconfig /all". Copy down the settings for "IP Address", "Subnet Mask", "Default Gateway", and "DNS Servers" (there will probably be more than one).

Go into your Network Connection Properties, click TCP/IP, click Properties and put those settings in where they are appropriate.

Do the same for your laptop (the settings will all be the same except for Default IP Address - you don't want to use the same IP as your desktop).

Then, turn off your firewall. If it works, then you can try turning your firewall back on and see if it still works.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Have you tried going to File, and then scrolling down to "print"? That works for me sometimes when I need something printed out.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
By the way loco, I'm taking negative rep for helping you - "Jesus Christ... GIVE IT UP!!!! loco is a complete dumbass" - so you'd better be grateful ;)

J

JRB

Cool - I will try that tonight. I am assuming that the only change will be to tell it to use static IPs and type them in eh???