Quantcast

Best XC FS bike for a short girl??

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a great used bike for my girlfriend. She's about 5'1" and 110lbs and I want to make sure I can find a bike that fits her well. Ideally I'm looking for a 4-5" full-suspension medium-duty cross country bike. If size weren't an issue I'd look for something like a Blur LT, or Reign, or 575, but what I don't know is:

Do any of these come small enough for a 5'1" woman?
Is there some better option for a full-suspension XC bike for a 5'1" woman?

Anyone got an awesome used bike they want to sell? Our price range maxes out at about $1500, but I've got some extra components here that could be bolted on so it doesn't have to be a complete bike for $1500.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Well, the 575 does come in an XS now so it might work (I am 5'4" and have a small and sometimes it feels a little big), but I don't know about the sizing specs for the Reign or the Blur LT from personal experience. According to their site, the Blur LT size small should fit her, but I would recommend trying one out to make sure. I think the Reign is a 16" small frame which would likely be too big.

Along the same lines, you might want to look at the Juiliana from Santa Cruz, the Specialized Safire, or perhaps the Anthem W from Giant (4" travel bike), though I don't know about the availability of a used Safire or Anthem W.

I would definitely try to have her ride a few different bikes and get measured if possible. A good fitting bike is worth it's weight in gold! Good luck!

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
just did a quick search of reputable companies.
Trek has this for smaller women right in your price range:
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain_full_suspension/fuel_ex/fuelex5wsd/
(a great price for a great bike)

Specialized has this for women as well:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=10Safire&eid=4950&menuItemId=9248
($700 more, but super awesome)
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=10MykaFSR&eid=4950&menuItemId=9248
($200 more than you stated, but also not necessarily as "hard-core" as the other one)

Giant's option:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/cypher.2/3905/37059/
(similar price to the Specialized, different spec)

NOTE: I would go with a fully suspension if you are going to be doing decent trial riding. It inspires confidence and aids in the learning curve by smoothing out some of the more gnarly/intense stuff. I have asked a lot of women who ride XC on FS bikes, and they all prefer the FS to the HT they used to ride.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
Thanks for the suggestions! I think heading to a bike shop to ride a few makes a lot of sense. I'm hoping to find a used bike though because you can usually get more bang for your buck, and I've got a lot of decent parts sitting around just looking for a frame to hang them on. It's surprising what you can get new for $1500, but considering that's the max of our price range I think we'll have to find a used bike.

Definitely going to go with full suspension. Totally agree with you on that. The other big question I have is SPD or flats with Knee/shin guards? I'm leaning towards flats just because it removes the fear and "oh-****" factor from trying to unclip during awkward falls, but I'm worried that it might also cause some crashes from feet slipping off pedals. Any thoughts on that?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
How long has she been riding? Is she clipped in on her road bike?
My question exactly.

She hasn't really been mountain biking yet. Rides clipped in on her road bike.
I would suggest a clipless platform pedal then. If she's comfortable cliping in and out on her road bike, she'll likely feel more connected to the bike clipped in, but having the platform clipless will give her a little more stability and enable her to keep riding if she isn't able to clip/unclip fast enough.

Also, you might want to think about getting her some arm and/or leg guards to start out anyway. They definitely instill confidence--especially if she's going to be riding technical terrain (which I wouldn't suggest the first few times out anyway).

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
cannondale also has some xs size frames, we just picked up a prophet for my wife, who is also 5'1" and fits here great, standover isn't awesome but its enough

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
My wife rides an XS Intense 5.5 and she loves it (She is 5ft 3). My friends wife rides an XS Titus and she is about 5ft2. Both bikes fit them well.

assman

Chimp
May 7, 2002
Maryland/ D.C. area
Im selling a 99 Schwinn 4 Banger Homegrown All Mountain small (15) frame. FRAME ONLY. Im including the Hayse hydrolic brakes and the rear shock with the frame. If you have any interest please let me know amartin45@yahoo.com. Im looking up the value so I can post a fair asking price. I think that it will be $400 or less. This was my wifes bike she is 5-3. It should fit a 5-1 girl well.

Last edited: