Quantcast

Best XC HT frame?

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
phoneous - I finally got the Stiffee built. I set it up for XC racing. I'm not sure what it weighs, I will weigh it later, but I can tell you it is WAY lighter than my Bullit with Z.1 fork. I miss my rear squishy though, this thing rides good but makes my back ache. Rear suspension is a GOOOOD thing...

It will suit it's intended purpose very well I think.

Attachments

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
that is one sweet ride.

ht's ride different than dualies for sure. it took me a bit to get over the back issue. It is really in your style. HT's cause a rider to stand while riding through the terrain more often than not or even during climbing.

Sure speeding over flat means sitting sure, though usually the difference winds up being negligable.

I wouldn't want to get rid of my HT completely. I wouldn't mind a dualie to triumph my abilities from riding a ht.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Yep my first 2 or 3 mtn bikes were HT's, but I've been on duallies for a few years now. When I first started riding, a HT with a 1" suspension fork was the latest and greatest. Looking back now, all 1" did for you was get rid of those "jiggling eyes" on a rough trail. I did ride a soft tail for awhile but my kid evicted me off of it. I guess I forgot my form but after doing a few miles on it this evening I started to get it back. I have an old set of platforms on it now but will have clipless in a couple days. "Pedaling in a circle" will definately help. My kid likes this one, but he is a scuzzy BMX'er and those punks think suspension is for sissies hehe.

This frame is super stiff, seems like something like this would be good for the original poster. I think you might want a beefier wheelset than I got for real rough stuff, maybe even a 24" rear with a big ugly moto tire on it.

phoeneous

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by MikeOK
phoneous - I finally got the Stiffee built. I set it up for XC racing. I'm not sure what it weighs, I will weigh it later, but I can tell you it is WAY lighter than my Bullit with Z.1 fork. I miss my rear squishy though, this thing rides good but makes my back ache. Rear suspension is a GOOOOD thing...

It will suit it's intended purpose very well I think.
Mike, that looks sweet. Did you decide against the stickers? Im not worried about back problems as I ride a ht now. I tried a squishie but didnt feel right for me. Yes, I plan on going 26/24 wheelsets. I never realized how much urban I do until now, so a smaller rear tire helps.

Theres one thing missing in the pic, wheres the dirt? :D

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Originally posted by phoeneous
Theres one thing missing in the pic, wheres the dirt? :D [/B]
Actually since you mentioned dirt, that's what my yard looks like - dirt. It's been so hot and dry here the trees are even starting to lose their leaves.

I peeled off the stickers 'cause I was going to paint the bike but the paint's not bad, plus when I finally got all the parts I was ready to get it rolling. Now it has a light and pannier rack on it for commutes to work...

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
You know, I'm an XC frame. You know the type, able to take 10ft drops, preferably under 50lbs, maybe with 9" of travel - I want to be able to pedal uphills, but when I come to that 6ft drop I wanna be able to nail it.

I was thinking maybe a CliffCat Holeshot or a Brooklyn Machine Works. What do you think?

[/partsbara impersonation]

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Santa Crus Chameleon. Can be set up as a sick-light XC race bike, or a burly 10' drop hardtail (I've seen it done on one).... or somewhere in between. Can be set up as a single-speed, if desired... hence the name...

The '04 version looks really good as they finally dropped the hanging disc brake mount...

For straight XC, I love my Indie Fab, but I also love my Chameleon for DJ and rides when I know a drop or three may be in the trail.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
You need a rad tubed bike like a RM Grind, or a Cove.

My Spooky Pitboss weighs 4.25 lbs (about the same as Ian's IF) But has a ridculosly strong front end (the rear end on the other hand...) My bike has ben built everywhere from 23 to 32 pounds.