Quantcast

beta on S.A.R.T.?

Got my stitches out, my leash prospectively loosened, and my plans to finally ride SART back on track. I've read the reviews on SoCal, MTBR, Mt.Bike Bill and YetiRider's joints.

Never been there, though.

Who's got tips, directions, locations for water, smart/cool alternate routes, or current trail conditions? It looks shady in YetiRider's vids, and exposed in Bill's. It's gonna be hot this weekend: how bad up there?

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
What? You've never done SART? You are in for an...experience.
Is the trail covered - yes.
Is it exposed - yes.
Is it gunna be hot - oh yeah.

I haven't done the trail this sumer but by this time it's usually really dryand dusty (surprising for so-cal) and tractionless on the exposed sections (watch the blind corners, it's a long ways down.)

Are you going to climb it or suttle? If you climb, get there way early to beat the heat, join all the other climbers and avoid the shuttlers.

As for directions, here is the seat-of-my-pants version:
5N to San Juan Capistrano
Exit Ortega Hwy (Route 74) and go East.
Stay on Ortega for quite a ways until you get to the foot of the real mountains. On your left, as the road hooks right, is a fire station. The dirt road you take to the bottom of the trail is there. Take that back until you seea big parking lot on the left (maybe a mile) That's the bottom of the trail.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That's San Juan trail, not Santa Ana River Trail...

I tried to do the SART once, but it was still too early in the spring, and it was snowed in.

MD

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
SART is significantly cooler than "down below" but by no means cold. For your first time there, I would suggest parking at the bottom of Middle Control Road (right where the dirt road turns to pavement). Coming up the 38, the turn off will be on your left, not too far after the post office. You'll see a big parking area at the top too.

After you've gone down the bumpy middle control road and parked, ride your bike up about a mile till you see a gate turn off to your left. It was marked with a number. Travel in a ways and keep a look out for the singletrack which starts on the left. It's easy to miss if you are not paying attention but it is marked with a number. After that, just follow the trail till you hit Glass road, cross the street and look for the trail on the other side. Keep riding to South Fork Campground and stop there for lunch. Go back the way you came. If you don't make a wrong turn the ride's about 25 miles of mostly singletrack. There are other off shoots and portions that are bikeable if you want to extend the ride.

A good portion of the ride is shaded but there are some very sunny exposed parts as well. I'd bring lots of water and start early in the day. It's not tough but some parts are rocky which makes it more difficult to get smooth pedaling going.

Hmmm...think it's time for another SART trip! :)

Heh, heh...yeah I meant "Angelus Oaks" one. We're gonna ride the whole way, but not the whole trail. I think we'll shoot for the version described by Mt. Bike Bill Porter to garner 31-32 miles.

I haven't ridden the San Juan Trail, either, but I know that country enough to be sure it will be too freakin hot this weekend there.

I got an email from a buddy that suggests the heat won't be so bad up on the SART. It does start at about 5,000', so maybe that's enough, combined with shade to help out. I'm thinking to start riding real early, like a 7:30 trailhead...

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
EBasil said:

I haven't ridden the San Juan Trail, either, but I know that country enough to be sure it will be too freakin hot this weekend there.

QUOTE]

As "The San Juan Gatekeeper" I will contact you when it is perfect conditions and even provide you a brew to wash the dirt from your grin when done.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
EBasil said:
It does start at about 5,000', so maybe that's enough, combined with shade to help out. I'm thinking to start riding real early, like a 7:30 trailhead...
Keep in mind that Barstow is also at about 5000' (Actually closer to 4000) and it's freakin' hot out there, If I was riding all day like that I think I'd choose to either do it at night (how ironic) or I'd do it in early fall, or even late fall there's usually no snow up there until December.

Temps on the trail, above the general store, were perfect: although it was 90 or so in Redlands the altitude and the SHADE made for outstanding riding conditions. The climb up Middle Control road was shaded most of the way, smooth and a great climb (inasmuch as any climb not on a chairlift is good).

Below Angelus Oaks, it got warmer but didn't get hot until we were near the turnoff to head out to the fire tower...and we had a man down, so we had to cut the ride short and head down to the 38. Our buddy pitched off the side of the trail, just above where it comes down to that fire road leading down toward the 38, and dislocated his shoulder. No bike damage, though, so we're cool. :sneaky: