Quantcast

beware bike scam from indonesia

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
got this from a friend and i think it might be interesting that we all know about it

hey vic do me a favor and post alot of ads on that site telling them that **** up from indonesia is a MAJOR scam,

he has sent me over 50 emails over the past month with 20 different email accounts,
all saying the same thing.

"i need your bike for stock in my store, the price is $2000 but i will pay $3000, send fed ex tracking # today i will pay you with credit card , direct machine transfer i cannot use paypal."

i called paypal, they said indonesia is such a scam and has so many fraud cases they wont even do biz there.
i said well **** me,

i lost $5000 on 2 bikes to the same guy.

he wanted $11,000 in bikes from me, i almost shipped them, i am glad i didnt.
call me if you want to about it.
it sounds like they are hitting every damn bike site emailing everyone to charge a stolen card direct.

al quadia, osama is getting all our bikes for terrorism.

he goes for anything any amount.

they have alot of different card #'s, i would assume hundreds of stolen cards from other countrys

he has sent me cards from austrailia!!!!!!!!!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
here is an example that can illustrate their MO

its a message to an ebay seller who already got cheated of 5000usd worth

Hello Sir,
Im customer from Indonesia,I want to buy ur item but i can only pay with my mastercard,so u can purchase into charge machine.I'll give u $200 for purchase it coz thats for insure, My address : Jl.Gatot Subroto IIIA
Bandung,40162
Indonesia

Plz calculate my order include the shipping cost by fedex Int'l priority.

Franklyn Santosa

--------------------

Question from: sephiaku
Title of item: xxx
Seller: seller
Starts: Nov-25-02 09: PST
Ends: Dec-02-02 09: PST
Price: Starts at $1,450.00
To view the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1973

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
I used to live in for 2yr bandung before moving to yogjakarta where the address is given... it was small little city then, but now its big crazy city...

Is that your real address ? vitox

Pezzo33

Chimp
Sep 11, 2001
Western Massachusetts
yeah, this has been a huge case with Ebay also.

Paypal and Billpoint will not protect you. Neitehr will Visa, Mastercard or Amex. basically, unless you can get them to send cash, no dice. it is a rip off scam.
Ebay has actually banned sellers from Indonesia on their site!

pezz

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I would agree. Indonesia is the only country that Excel Sports does not ship to. It is the only country that we have never had a succesfull sale to. If anyone ever offers to buy anything from you and they are from indonesia just say no!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by Babar
I used to live in for 2yr bandung before moving to yogjakarta where the address is given... it was small little city then, but now its big crazy city...

Is that your real address ? vitox

nonononoo

this is an email sent thru eBay from one of the scammers to a seller of a high end bicycle.
i put it on there to illustrate their Modus operandi, it seems they always give the same reason, ask for immediate fedex shipment and want to pay with a credit card direct (no paypal or similar) plus they often offer to pay more.

and as pezz pointed out, here its the seller that loses, remember that if you get an email offering you a tempting deal.

zibbler

Monkey
Many, many scams from Indonesia. When I sold my guitar on ebay, I stated in bold letters in the descriPtion "NO SALES TO INDONESIA, DON'T EVEN ASK!". I'll be damned if I didn't get about 3 or more e-mails from Indonesia wanting to by my guitar. I responded to each of them with this: "Are you stupid or something? Didn't you read the descriPtion? NO SALES TO INDONESIA!" :rolleyes:

ftwfred

Chimp
Jun 4, 2002
ashevegas, nc
i had three bikes on eBay, and was contacted in a manner similar to this. the "buyer" said i had to have cc charge machine to run his card - he would call with the number.

fortunately, something "felt" wrong about this - i told him he could use payPal if he was willing to use a credit card...

he had the gall to email me BACK, saying "sorry - no cc machine no sale."

now i'm glad i didn't jump on the chance to "sell" these bikes. i guess the moral is if it smells like doody and causes you to slip when you step in it...

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
I remember lot of times when my granny would send us package, they never arrived... would always get stolen. Also about 10 years ago moving back to s. korea our familys whole container was stolen (yep those big huge metal boxes they put on ships or mack trucks to carry)...

The Jinx

I'm an angel
Apr 22, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
I've been buying and selling thru Ebay too.....

I always ensure that I received the payment, cleared the check before I send over the goods over.

I might be stupid BUT not that stupid to send over my goods before receiving the payment.....

I'll always indicate that Terms in my selling Terms & Condition.

Those scammers make me scared.....

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
HOLY SH!T!!!!
I almost sold a bike today to this very guy. I have copy's of his emails and they are exactly the same as mentioned above. Damn, good thing I logged on to ridemonkey today!

Pezzo33

Chimp
Sep 11, 2001
Western Massachusetts
Originally posted by The Jinx
I've been buying and selling thru Ebay too.....

I always ensure that I received the payment, cleared the check before I send over the goods over.

I might be stupid BUT not that stupid to send over my goods before receiving the payment.....

I'll always indicate that Terms in my selling Terms & Condition.

Those scammers make me scared.....
The thing witht his is, they can pay you by credit card, then you ship, and think everything is ok. Then they deny the charge, say it was stolen, dispute it, etc.. anything, and VISA or MC will NOT protect you. this is why it is a huge scam.
They do nto ask you to ship before payment, they will pay you first, but there payment is worth squat, and you will never see it

i also sell a LOT on ebay, and will never ship without payment, but only through appropriate chanels and with legal proof and backup.

pezz

The Jinx

I'm an angel
Apr 22, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
Originally posted by Pezzo33

The thing witht his is, they can pay you by credit card, then you ship, and think everything is ok. Then they deny the charge, say it was stolen, dispute it, etc.. anything, and VISA or MC will NOT protect you. this is why it is a huge scam.
They do nto ask you to ship before payment, they will pay you first, but there payment is worth squat, and you will never see it

i also sell a LOT on ebay, and will never ship without payment, but only through appropriate chanels and with legal proof and backup.

pezz
Ohhh! I see your point now. It's new to me. Thank you for the information, I'll an eye on this jerk!

Regards
sbw

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by Fulton
HOLY SH!T!!!!
I almost sold a bike today to this very guy. I have copy's of his emails and they are exactly the same as mentioned above. Damn, good thing I logged on to ridemonkey today!
WOW! Me too
I recieved that same email asking to buy my bike, even though i specifically stated that i wouldn't ship outside USA/Canada.
Something felt weird about it so I didn't sell it, good call I suppose.

Isn't Indonesia like the world leader in burning CD's (i.e. copyright infringment)?

Unreal

Chimp
Sep 26, 2001
Seattle, WA
A while back I had a guy try to rip me off this way too. It was an Ebay auction, pissed me off too because this scammer "won" the auction.

I finally was almost ready to ship, but in a final effort I asked him for the issuing banks contact phone number, and his reply was "no, it's ok, just charge the card and ship it, thanks!", and that point I told the guy to f… himself, but not in those exact words.

Ugh. People are so pleased with credit cards. Heck, I guess I am too, otherwise my business model would be practically impossible. But no one seems to understand that in nearly every case, if stuff goes wrong it’s the seller that bites it. The credit card companies take the money away first, ask questions later. Sure can make things sketchy when dealing internationally.

Tazz5150

Chimp
Dec 24, 2001
BarBar...!
dood.. how many countries did you visit?..
And, out of curiosity, what's your ethnic background?.. unless you are in the millitary, you sure do like traveling a lot.

largerthan9

Monkey
Dec 10, 2002
This frigging Jackass has E-Mailed me over 20 times about the bikes that Ive listed! I tell him to just get a cash advance and send me the cashiers check, or pay me on pay pal. He has sent me a request to buy my bikes from about 15-20 different E-mail accounts. I always check out the originating website and the sites are always some fake front that says "under construction" or access to this site closed. I've just started to answer him with a great big F#@$ OFF!
I hate thieves, especially bike thieves. If this was the old west we could take him out and lynch em!:angry:

arcteryx33

Chimp
Mar 20, 2002
Philly PA
Dear Sir/Mam,

I'm interest to buy your products.
I have looking and read it in your website.
These are my query:

1. Brooklyn TMX with parts/wheels

Please give me the total cost and I will sent my
creditcard details for you via email after I have the
deal
from you. I think it more safely, and you can charge
it on
your place. And the item will be ship to Indonesia by
FedEx
International.
I really want these stuffs and it's so hard to find
them out in my country.
I'm waiting for your response as soon as possible.
Thank you for your kindness.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Originally posted by Unreal
A while back I had a guy try to rip me off this way too. It was an Ebay auction, pissed me off too because this scammer "won" the auction.

I finally was almost ready to ship, but in a final effort I asked him for the issuing banks contact phone number, and his reply was "no, it's ok, just charge the card and ship it, thanks!", and that point I told the guy to f… himself, but not in those exact words.

Ugh. People are so pleased with credit cards. Heck, I guess I am too, otherwise my business model would be practically impossible. But no one seems to understand that in nearly every case, if stuff goes wrong it’s the seller that bites it. The credit card companies take the money away first, ask questions later. Sure can make things sketchy when dealing internationally.
I'm a little confused...Do they give ya a fake number if ya fall for it or do they cancel the payment ( can ya do that with a cc?) :confused: :monkey:

Apr 11, 2003
The Dark Side
I get so many of these at work I have lost track, I don't bother to reply to them or even keep track of their e-mail addresses any more because there are so many. They usually start something like this:

"Hello my name is *^%$#$%^&*(. I have interest to purchase your product. Before we do business I will require blah blah blah.

I just delete them and go on to the next thing, I don't even get upset anymore because it isn't even worth the time to think about it.

Don't fall for it - if it feels to good to be true then it probably is.

:eek:

Unreal

Chimp
Sep 26, 2001
Seattle, WA
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this. I’ll happily do business with anywhere in the world, but I’ll only accept credit cards from North American customers. I told this guy I’d be happy to take a Western Union transfer or a Money Order, you know, something as good as cash. Here’s the reply I got...

Hello There,

I'm sorry before, i'm from USA but this time i'm in INDONESIA for few motnhs, i have had bad experinces using money order, wire transfer or western unionpayment method. It doesn't mean that I don't trus you. I always using credit card payment for internet shopping. Could you charges my credit card from your credit card
machine.
If you doesn't have credit card machine, could you use your
friend, or maybe your bussines partner credit card machine to
charges my card, don't be worry, i will pay all the cost
(taxes, chipping cost) and bonus for the credit card machine
owner. If this acceptable,I'll forward my credit card therewith shipping address to you. Please assist me the best way. Thank you,Look forward to hearing from you.

thanks for the attention

kindest regards,..

mikimiki

Chimp
Aug 19, 2011
Never do it. I was scamed by MERTO CYCLE SHOP or STAR CYCLO SHOP. They use both names. They sell Bikes on asianproducts.com and alibaba.com

Email: metrocycle@hotmail.com Preson: Palindungan Pasaribu

BEWERE of these sites. Because even after you report that crime to them the will not even block scam seller. Check it yoursef
http://www.asianproducts.com/mcs/A13112660660920823_C12832414633884751_0_1/road-bikes.html

These are thiefs and the still cheat people.

I will learn from that expirience you don't have to.