Quantcast

beyond bikes ripped me off

David SD38

Chimp
May 25, 2005
El Cajon
last week i bought a set of fox talas forks from beyond bikes & in thier 2005 catalogit states "buy any fork at or above $500 bucks & get a CRIS KING headset FREE ". i paid $549 for the fork & on the way home realised i did not get my headset so i went back a sales person looked at the ad said i should get it he asked me which color i wanted & then sales manager Kerry McCoy came over said he would look i the back for the headset he returned about 5 minutes later saying that it was a old promotion & i could not have it. there is no experation date on the ad or any rules other than "buy any fork at or above $5oo. i would return the fork as well as my entire $800 purchase but i have already installad them. when i told KERRY MC COY how i felt ripped off and would not do bussiness with them any more he said " we have the best prices you will be back ". not with their customer service hey Kerry price is not everything!

David SD38

Chimp
May 25, 2005
El Cajon
i have talked to 2 other people who have had similar experiences with beyond bikes . everyone should stay away from them until they treat their customers better.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Beyond Bikes is the worst bike shop I ever dealt with. Not only will I not shop there, I will make sure I tell everyone else not to shop there.

Go to universalcycles.com... they have always treated me right.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
hey that is why i use jenson's beyonde bikes always had problems, but its okay i riped them off to.....i dind't steal anything or anything like, but lets jsut say i got the 90 dolar pedals from azonic for close to 29 dollars.

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
Yeah...I bought some lights from them 4+ weeks ago and still haven't received them. It took them forever to even send them out. Then, when they did, they couldn't give me a tracking number or anything.

Turns out, they sent them to the wrong address. Then, instead of sending me a new shipment directly from the store and have the other guy send back the original shipment, they're having him send the stuff directly to me. That's kinda messed up.

Kerry offered to give me a good deal on my next order, but I asked him the price of a couple different items and they didn't seem like that good of deals.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Had a simillar eperience with them. Ordered a crankset, took 8 weeks or so to get it. Made several calls to them, talked to the same guy each time, although he used a different name each time, and each time he says "It went out yesterday." Also never got a tracking number. Eventually I got my stuff, but with online places like Jenson or Speedgaoat, I wont bother with Beyond Bikes again, they are beyond help. I think they are also the same shop as Airbomb.com. ANyone know for sure?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Ciaran said:
Beyond Bikes is the worst bike shop I ever dealt with. Not only will I not shop there, I will make sure I tell everyone else not to shop there.

Go to universalcycles.com... they have always treated me right.
Now this I don't agree with.

I have used beyondbikes a couple of times with no problems at all.
I have used universalcycles several times, and all but one time it was a friggin nightmare.

I am not one to carry a grudge, and will probably use them again, but never for anything important, expensive, or that I need in a hurry.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Beyond sucks.....i've only ordered once from them and it took forever to get my stuff, out of the 4 things I ordered that were all "instock" I only got one in the end, they didn't have the rest.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
hmm, I just ordered a new helmet and new chest armor to replace my old stuff. supposed to be coming in tomorrow. I'll see what I'll have to say about beyondbikes after I get my order.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I ordered some tires from AirBomb a few weeks ago, nice that the web site didn't bother to mention they're backordered...

I think I ordered stuff from Beyond Bikes a few years ago but don't remember what happened. For some reason I avoid 'em since though, so it must not have been good.

I'd say Pricepoint has the best prices around.

Jenson probably has the quickest shipping and is most professional.

Universal Cycles is pretty good too, and carries little parts that no one else has.

Go-ride isn't the cheapest, but is probably the most knowledgeable and cool to deal with.

Downshift Cycles has the cheapest forks and is a good guy.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
David SD38 said:
last week i bought a set of fox talas forks from beyond bikes & in thier 2005 catalogit states "buy any fork at or above $500 bucks & get a CRIS KING headset FREE ". i paid $549 for the fork & on the way home realised i did not get my headset so i went back a sales person looked at the ad said i should get it he asked me which color i wanted & then sales manager Kerry McCoy came over said he would look i the back for the headset he returned about 5 minutes later saying that it was a old promotion & i could not have it. there is no experation date on the ad or any rules other than "buy any fork at or above $5oo. i would return the fork as well as my entire $800 purchase but i have already installad them. when i told KERRY MC COY how i felt ripped off and would not do bussiness with them any more he said " we have the best prices you will be back ". not with their customer service hey Kerry price is not everything!
To be honest, I've never really had any bad expirences with Beyond Bikes, but I don't use them too much. However, they really ripped you off, and the service guy's comments were out of line. "Saying you'll be back," that was a really crappy thing to say.

With that being said, you do know that Jenson will price match, so if price is what you're looking for, Jenson will give you the same deal. As a matter of fact, the last time I price matched from Jenson, they didn't even ask to see an ad or verify the price. In addition, they pretty much carry everything that Beyond Bikes carries...now that they have Intense. Oh, and I have always found their customer service to be great!

Honestly, I would complain to his boss, then to his boss; I would complain until someone listened. If no one cares, I would go to the BBB, trust me, there is no shortage of complaints about Beyond Bikes...

1000-Oaks said:
I ordered some tires from AirBomb a few weeks ago, nice that the web site didn't bother to mention they're backordered...

I think I ordered stuff from Beyond Bikes a few years ago but don't remember what happened. For some reason I avoid 'em since though, so it must not have been good.

I'd say Pricepoint has the best prices around.

Jenson probably has the quickest shipping and is most professional.

Universal Cycles is pretty good too, and carries little parts that no one else has.

Go-ride isn't the cheapest, but is probably the most knowledgeable and cool to deal with.

Downshift Cycles has the cheapest forks and is a good guy.

FYI: airbomb is Beyond Bikes.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Biscuit said:
Now this I don't agree with.

I have used beyondbikes a couple of times with no problems at all.
I have used universalcycles several times, and all but one time it was a friggin nightmare.

I am not one to carry a grudge, and will probably use them again, but never for anything important, expensive, or that I need in a hurry.
I have heard exactly TWO positive reports about Beyond bikes. I have heard people complain about Universal, but they have always been top notch when I dealt with them.
Go-Ride rocks too. They will bend over backwards to make sure you get the right parts.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Grrrrr, well the tires that were on backorder from Airbomb finally showed up today. Sort of. I got tires, but they aren't the ones I ordered. Was supposed to get the 2.5 Kenda Nevegal kevlar, I received the 2.5 Nevegal STEEL downhill tires.

I ordered the kevlar version for my XC bike becuase they're almost a pound lighter each, I don't need more DH tires!!

Anybody have Airbomb's phone number? Not listed on their site.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I've always had great luck with both Jenson and Go-ride. Jenson has a great price-match policy and are super fast. Go-ride is the most knowledgable shop in the country and they treat people right. No reason for me to ever shop anywhere else (except the Mtn View Supergo during their sales).

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Just figured out what happened. Technically Airbomb shipped the tires I ordered, but their website has the freeride tire description swapped with the DH version description - so I ordered the wrong tire based on bad info.

I'll bet they will make good on the web site error, they better credit me for shipping the DH tires back though.

J

JRB

ohio said:
I've always had great luck with both Jenson and Go-ride. Jenson has a great price-match policy and are super fast. Go-ride is the most knowledgable shop in the country and they treat people right. No reason for me to ever shop anywhere else (except the Mtn View Supergo during their sales).
I have had horrible luck with Jenson, but great luck with Universal. I have even had good luck with Performance though.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Talked to AirBomb today, the guy was cool about it. They're going to exchange my tires for the right ones and credit me for the return shipping. Still a PIA, but they're handling it.

:thumb:

David SD38

Chimp
May 25, 2005
El Cajon
Beyond Bikes sent me a flyer in the mail yesterday for their 'BIKETOBERFEST' next week i think i will go so i can find their highest manager and tell him my story on how they ripped me off and how his sales manager a-hole KERRY MC COY treats their customers. I wiil drive the 45 minutes each way just to tell them to their faces to go ' F ' themselves!
All people who have been mistreated by them should do the same.

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
GNORKAL
#1=Go-Ride

However, I recently ordered 2 blowout Mavic D321for 34.99 from Universal and when they ran out,they subsituted X729s for the same price, no hassles, delays or trips. OK by me!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Pricepoint and Jenson both usually have the best prices and the fastest shipping, I've noticed. Never had an issue with either of them...

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
I have never had a problem with Beyond Bikes/Airbomb, Universal, Supergo, Jenson, Bicyclewarehouse, Performance, Qualitybikes and probably some others I've forgotten that I've purchased from.

Hammerhead sent me the wrong size star nut once as part of an $800 order...jerks, (just kidding Charles).

I guess I'm just a boring and content consumer. Or maybe some people just can't keep their act together.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I have bought a lot of things online and the two companies that have given me 100% Satisfaction are Go-Ride.Com and Dropnzone.com. Their customers service is excellent, they ship fast and know their products well. The guys at both these Businesses all ride and are just as addicted to bikes and riding as most of the people are here on Ridemonkey. So, call up Scott or Kris at Go-ride or Allen at Dropnzone and you will be treated as a valued customer because that is exactly what you are to them!

Jun 18, 2004
David SD38 said:
"...last week i bought a set of fox talas forks from beyond bikes...."buy any fork at or above $500 bucks & get a CRIS KING headset FREE ". i paid $549 for the fork" .... "i did not get my headset .... then sales manager Kerry McCoy came over said he would look i the back for the headset he returned about 5 minutes later saying that it was a old promotion & i could not have it"...."KERRY MC COY how i felt ripped off and would not do bussiness with them any more he said " "we have the best prices you will be back ". "not with their customer service hey Kerry price is not everything!"
unfortunately I bought an Uzzi Vpx/and most of a bike(brakes, cranks, etc) from these guys... while my first inclination was to buy from my Lbs, I decided that I could avoid 9.2% Seattle tax and get a good package deal...

I dealt w/Kerry and I regret doing so... he promised a frame that he didn't have (it took a month to get it; when he took my order he insinuated that I would get the bike next week, since they had the same frame color in another size)... parts were missing in each shipment, and he shipped everything in 5 separet shipments... each one had parts missing from the manifest... I must have called him 10 times over this order, which btw was over 3 grand...

the last time that I called it was over some small parts missing from my hayes mag hd brake kit... they said they would send them and they never did... the call before that was for the Intense warranty card that they didn't send w/the frame...

I swear every time I called it was like I was calling a bunch of stoners that needed to get off thier bong to answer the phone and take more of peoples $$$...

I ordered from Beyond bikes before and never had a problem... I won't do it again... oh well a lesson learned...:nope:

novarider

Chimp
Aug 17, 2005
Northern VA
jensonusa had better prices on just about everything than beyond bikes. i guess if its close by you, it might be cheaper by picking it up and not paying shipping. but since i live on the east coast, i do mostly mailorder from jensonusa. and with their price match, you will definintely get the best price. you guys should consider yourselves lucky with all the stores out there (excluding beyond bikes). here on the east coast, its all mom and pop LBS (with outrageous prices) or Performance (which blows).

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I hate Beyond Bikes. I ordered a frame and chainguide from them, and they didn't tell me they were both backordered until I called them/e-mailed them a few times. The price was good, but they didn't give me info or anything. I'm also waiting for an I-beam seat and post combo after nearly a month, and they told me it had been shipped a while ago. They suck ass. I just bought wheels from Jenson and right away I got a confirmation and I bought a fork from Blue Sky Cycling and again I got a confirmation right away. I've had good luck with Jenson in the past, and they ship really fast. I'll see how Blue Sky is.