Quantcast

Big Bear News- Big

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
So where's the Press Release? I checked the Snow Summit site and there is no such thing there.

Plus, looking at Team Big Bear's site, they are dropping events at Snow Summit left and right.

Maybe i am jumping the gun here. You say Snow Summit to reopen all trails for 2006," does that mean they are opeing all trails to all users including DH? I have my doubts on that one.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
Micro-Sanjay said:
For Press Release:

Snow Summit to reopen all trails for 2006.

- Jason, Snow Summit employee

April 1, 2006 is still a few months away, re-post then...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Ohh good I can ride those POS trails again! Just what I've always wanted:rolleyes:

They have to invest in the trail system and show some love for us before I even think of that place as an option. Until then they can bite me.

Mt. Baldy dig time!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Slugman said:
I'd rather help build up Mt. Baldy...
We almost have the date set for the first dig day. Opening is scheduled for late spring early summer 2006.

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
riverside73 said:
So where's the Press Release?
The employee at Snow Summit I obtained the information from will not release his own press statement but he is reliable because he worked at the food kiosk up top for 2 years.

I can't wait to ride log chute again.

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
y dont we talk to mtn high and see if we can just build there.. they ahve a huge insurance policy cause of all the freakin jumps and jibs for snow y not just keep the big tables and wave hits they are made out of dirt anyway...arent they geared more towards the crazy freeride extreme ****

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
merrrrjig said:
it would be better for both resorts to open (mt baldy & bear) cuz that creates competition, and competition bring better trails and stuff.
I think Snow Summit owns bragging rights. It introduced Shaun "The Napalm" Palmer into the scene. If only Palmer rode urban, he'd be like my god and stuff. But whatever man, I'm stoked that Snow Summit will be open to freeriders again.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
AN6 Freerider said:
y dont we talk to mtn high and see if we can just build there.. they ahve a huge insurance policy cause of all the freakin jumps and jibs for snow y not just keep the big tables and wave hits they are made out of dirt anyway...arent they geared more towards the crazy freeride extreme ****

Mtn High has no interest in mountain biking what so ever.

mott7070

Chimp
Apr 20, 2005
Glendale, Ca
Micro-Sanjay said:
For Press Release:

Snow Summit to reopen all trails for 2006.

- Jason, Snow Summit employee

Is there any proof of this? Judging from what we've heard from Team Big Bear, Snow Summit management is busier than ever cutting races from the 2006 season.

Mott
SBF RACING

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
merrrrjig said:
it would be better for both resorts to open (mt baldy & bear) cuz that creates competition, and competition bring better trails and stuff.
That is the best scenario. SS will have the beginner runs that Baldy's terrain isn't very friendly to. They will both have to create great trails due to competition and everybody wins. The riders get two good places to ride, both resorts make money, and both towns make money.

The bonus of Baldy is that YOU the rider can have a say in the design of the trails. YOU the rider can have a hand in maintaining trails and building new ones. You can look at the run you just finished and say, "I helped build that!".

My guess though is that SS opens the same trails without any improvements.

roberts

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
The town of BB is putting tremendous pressure on SS to open. No one expected the huge losses. Room rentals, restaurants, gas stations and most other business felt the pain of no mtn. biking.

I guess we are not penniless dirtbags who do not spend any $ in town.

Nonetheless, I would rather make sick runs at Baldy where even our pennies are welcome - especially when they have essentially NO SNOW this year.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
roberts said:
The town of BB is putting tremendous pressure on SS to open. No one expected the huge losses. Room rentals, restaurants, gas stations and most other business felt the pain of no mtn. biking.

Nonetheless, I would rather make sick runs at Baldy where even our pennies are welcome - especially when they have essentially NO SNOW this year.
Do you have any numbers, or know where to get some? Just something to think about that might help other bikers keep their favorite spots open... or even open new places.

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
roberts said:
I don't know if they won the lawsuit, but it appears the case is up for a dismissal hearing on February 15.

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
Slugman said:
Do you have any numbers, or know where to get some?
I know for sure that Carl's Jr's sale of Famous Star has dropped since Sanjay and I do not eat there anymore after a day of training during the golden years of mountainbiking.

So y'all can put your chainguides back on bec Snow Summit is bizness as usual for 06.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
roberts said:

I think the businesses in BB knew they were screwed. Be interesting to see how it pans out, it does look like TBB and SS had a complete falling out as they don't have really an races there of any kind.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
ncrider said:
sweet fall line and dark side here I come ;)
Like most riders, I spent a fair amount of time on illegal trails. If there is any truth to this rumor, I would say that we should stay off the illegal trails this time around...

I’m not too sure about the dismissal hearing. To be honest, I really don’t know how a civil case like this would run through the court system. I would think that a dismissal hearing would probably be a pretty typical step that the defendant would pursue.

I would venture to say that if the court does dismiss the case, Snow Summit would allow DH bike back on the mountain…I have a feeling this is how the rumor was started. The owner of Snow Summit has publicly stated that if they won the lawsuit, they would consider allowing downhill bikes on the mountain, again.

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
Zutroy said:
I think the businesses in BB knew they were screwed.
I don't know. According to BBB's newsletter to local businesses in its charter, Motel 6's cleaning expenses have gone due to the decrease in weekend biking visitors. That must be a good chunk of savings.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
lovebunny said:
why dont they open bear mountain? that ones an actual mountain
I've often wondered the same thing. However, it's a moot point now, since both mountains are owned by the same person...

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Hmmm... I never had the oppurtunity to ride at Big Bear, as they shut it down right before I got into the sport. So it would be nice to ride the courses/trails that everyone has spoken so much about to me.

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
Hardly a joke. Call Snow Summit.
But it's getting hard to get a hold of the source from Snow Summit who informed me of the news. I asked him to email me so I can post it here as proof of the press release.