Quantcast

BIG forks

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
Not sure exacty how to word this question but if I where to put some massive double crown shocks on my bike it would raise the front up, changing the look and feel of the bike I assume. Is there any problems that can arrise by doing this? or anything I should watch out for. I think It will make catwalks and come shore riding easier. any input would be rad.
THANKS

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Liquid
Not sure exacty how to word this question but if I where to put some massive double crown shocks on my bike it would raise the front up, changing the look and feel of the bike I assume. Is there any problems that can arrise by doing this? or anything I should watch out for. I think It will make catwalks and come shore riding easier. any input would be rad.
THANKS
:think:

1- What bike?

2- I will do my best to answer your questions....

If your bike was designed around a, say 4" travel fork and you put a 7" travel for it will raise your front end and rake the stearing angle out like a chopper.

Is this bad? More than likely. You are putting stress on your head tube it probably wasn't designed around (depends on your bike) More stress can over tax a head tube and crack frames or ovalize less beefy head tubes. A bike that is raked out isn't really agile on the stunts and the higher BB might not work in your advantage there either. (again depends on the bike) It might make your bike less enjoyable for all around riding....... You might void the warranty on the frame...because a Dual Crown was not intended for the frame.

Is it good? There will be more cush so if that is what you are after, yes.

Tell us what bike it is going on.....and maybe someone else can give you a more prepared answer.

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
thanks for the great reply basically that covered what I was woundering my bike is a specialized Hardrock. Big forks like this may be a bit much for the bike.
THANKS Lots of help

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yes...more than 4 inches (100mm) on a Hardrock=BAAAAD.

Get something in the marzo MXR EXR whatever range...good 4 inchers...or a manitou Black.

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
thanks I will look into these forks, thanks for the advice though I would have been in for alot or trouble by the sounds of it.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by xbluethunderx
Yes...more than 4 inches (100mm) on a Hardrock=BAAAAD.

Get something in the marzo MXR EXR whatever range...good 4 inchers...or a manitou Black.
I was thinking of getting a FOx Vanilla 125RLC (125mm) for my 2003 HardRock Pro. I think that in a single crown would have been alright. But a 7" Dual Crown is not the best idea in the world.

What is on there now? I have a Judy TT (100mm) that came stock on it now.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
on the 03 hardrock comp, are judy tt's, with 80mm travel
You would be OK going to a fork like teh FOx 125mm forks or DJ 130mm but I wouldn't go any higher....a 4 inch quality fork is probably your best bet.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Eh I dunno, if its built around 80, 120 might be too much and you'd get the twitchy and chopper feel. Anything more than 100 would also probably stress the hell out of your headtube, and you'd risk ovalizing/tearing it off. Take it to your LBS and have them check it out, I'm not sure about the geometry on the Hardrock, but I'm thinking its the same as the higher end frames built around 80mm of travel.

ThePirk

Chimp
May 25, 2004
Seattle Wa
Duel crowns will not only void your warrenty they will abbsolutely destroy your frame the first time you try anything big. 5'' is as high as i would go. The hard rock is not a DH.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by xbluethunderx
Eh I dunno, if its built around 80, 120 might be too much and you'd get the twitchy and chopper feel. Anything more than 100 would also probably stress the hell out of your headtube, and you'd risk ovalizing/tearing it off. Take it to your LBS and have them check it out, I'm not sure about the geometry on the Hardrock, but I'm thinking its the same as the higher end frames built around 80mm of travel.
My hardrock comes with a 100mm Judy TT. It is the same frame if his is the newer style bike. I don't think my bike is very raked out I am sure 1 more inch wouldn't hurt it to bad. Now if I were to add 3 inches then yeah it would rake out but on a 2003 Hardrock a 4-5 inch for (single crown) is doable. I can run a 80mm fork also, but I am fat enough to know better :)

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
Lots to take into consideration, I see your point about the chopper feel, being bad. My bike comes with 80mm, but it is the same frame with the hardrocks that come with 100mm. I am now a little worried about going bigger that 100, but I think I can get away with a nice set of 100mm forks, I like the o4 djIII those would be nice. ya I agree that any bigger than that will shorten the life of my frame. so sad guess I have a reason now to save up for a 2nd frame :D
Thanks for the advice guys

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Lots to take into consideration, I see your point about the chopper feel, being bad. My bike comes with 80mm, but it is the same frame with the hardrocks that come with 100mm. I am now a little worried about going bigger that 100, but I think I can get away with a nice set of 100mm forks, I like the o4 djIII those would be nice. ya I agree that any bigger than that will shorten the life of my frame. so sad guess I have a reason now to save up for a 2nd frame :D
Thanks for the advice guys
Single crown 100-125mm should be fine. The Zoke is a good choice. 100mm on my 03 Hardrock is not even close to being raked out. You would be safe.

It is when you start addeding on inches of travel that things get wierd in teh stearing department. The frame damage will come from a dual crown (JrT, Boxxer, etc) They are 6-7 inches and along with raking outt he front end the dual triple clamps put all that extra leverage into that frame.

A good 4-5 inch fork would be nice! Look used for Zokes there are normally good deals.

Mar 30, 2004
Lexington, KY
i really agree with these guys, jus lately my bestfriend got a 2004 hardrock with an rst gila fork on it, the fork is kinda a draw back on the bike so i told him to get a marzocchi z1 fr. He's still thinking about it. On my 2002 hardrock comp ive got a marzocchi bomber exr and i have enjoyed, but im getting ready to sell the bike for a P3 with a dj 3... good luck though with finding a fork, but they are right anything past 5 in my opinion is a bad idea

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
liquid,
It sounds (by your posts) that you just need a different bike. You can upgrade that Hardrock all day long, but you'll pour a ton of money into it, and then try to sell it (will be hard). You should look into a used, bigger-hit bike on ebay or something. It will give you what you're looking for at an okay price, and it will work!

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
people swap out the fork for a 120 mm one all the time on a hardrock. It's one of the most versatile bikes out there... i was going to sell my marin and planet x to build one up to do everything. 120 mm is not too much, but do check on the warranty.