Quantcast

Big Mountain DH, is it worth it?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Hey all,
I'm headed east over the weekend of the 4th and will be spending a couple of days in Kalipspell/Whitefish. I haven't ridden Big Mountain for a few years. It used to be pretty weak but I've heard that they made some improvements. Is is worth bringing the DH bike or should I just bring the hardtail and ride in the valley. Any suggestion on some good moderatly tech valley trails? I want to go riding with my pops, so no hugh stunts. Just good singletrack.

Thanks

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
When I was up there last summer, not riding, but just sightseeing and huckleberry picking, I didn't really see anything worth noting. The only other time I've been there is skiing during the winter. We were around the Chair 2 area, and it looks like the trail I probably saw was the Big Mountain Summit Trail. It was a fairly tame trail, a few small jumps here and there, lots of switchbacks.

I'm sure there is more advanced stuff, but one of locals will probably chime in and tell you about that.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
There are about 4 decent trails at Big Mt. If you want the goods in Whitefish email me.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Big Mountain no longer supports DH or Bikercross. They will have no races this year at all. The only races they support are XC. Do not bike or ski there. They sux. Go to Fernie... it is only 1.5 hrs away and waaay better skiing and AWESOME biking. DOWN WITH BIG MOUNTAIN!!!