Quantcast

Biggest failures ever?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Who comes to mind when you think FAIL? Sometimes, people get so far off track they do the exact opposite of what their original intention was.

My favorite is Thomas Midgley, Jr. He may be the most unfortunate inventor of all time. The invention that made him famous was the addition of ethyl lead to gasoline, it stopped engine knocking and markedly reduced the IQ of several generations of people. He also lead the team that developed Freon, we all know how that went. Eventually he came down with polio which paralyzed him. He invented a system of ropes and pulleys to move himself around the bed. This invention strangled him.

A modern example is Jenny McCarthy and her anti-vaccine campaign. Jenny decided that MMR vaccine caused autism, based on scant evidence and her "mommy instinct" (this means "guessing") As a result of her influence, hundreds of children have died of easily preventable diseases and thousands more have been sick. Maybe you should stick with showing your titties Jenny, this thinking thing isn't working for you.

More examples?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
A modern example is Jenny McCarthy and her anti-vaccine campaign. Jenny decided that MMR vaccine caused autism, based on scant evidence and her "mommy instinct" (this means "guessing") As a result of her influence, hundreds of children have died of easily preventable diseases and thousands more have been sick. Maybe you should stick with showing your titties Jenny, this thinking thing isn't working for you.

More examples?
wow bitter much? do you have any scientific evidence for either side? Isn't it a pretty hotly debated topic of whether vaccines cause or contribute to autism? And isn't it up to the parents to make that decision for their kids, not Jenny Mccarthy?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
wow bitter much? do you have any scientific evidence for either side? Isn't it a pretty hotly debated topic of whether vaccines cause or contribute to autism? And isn't it up to the parents to make that decision for their kids, not Jenny Mccarthy?
and here we go.....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's "hotly debated" in the sense that a whole bunch of people who have no idea what they're talking about say, "OMG vaccines cause autism" while the majority of the scientific community says, "you're all a bunch of friggin' idiots with no evidence for this whatsoever."

There was recently a bunch of news articles that indicated the one study that actually found any evidence for this was full of fraud and was suspected to be financially motivated.

http://briandeer.com/mmr/lancet-paper.htm
http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c5347.full
http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c5258
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/checkup/2011/01/wakefield_tried_to_capitalize.html

Idiot celebrities are given a certain amount of credibility just for being famous. Using it as a platform to push dangerous and unproven agendas is a problem, not just for the people who listened.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
That vaccine scare was undoubtedly the worst ameri-scare of all time besides the 2012 Armageddon. I was talking to my science teacher about it who is just a stupid "I buy into the media" kinda guy. He said he had his kids get the vaccine in doses over the course of 3 weeks. He thought that they would suddenly break out in autism if they got too much vaccine at once.

It's a shame because there is no cure for stupid.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
"hotly debated topic" in this case means "out and out fraud"...but by all means, continue to believe that Jenny McCarthy outsmarted the medical community on this one.

Yes, parents should make the decision. However, when someone does the morning show circuit spouting off about whatever flavor of the day is appealing, we have the same result as why some see voting for Palin is a good idea.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/213505.php

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Concerns/Autism/Index.html

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/05/132692497/journal-study-linking-vaccine-to-autism-was-fraud

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Wasnt the vaccine scare all around the world (not only in US - my mothers new husband also belives this but he is against any regulation that forces him to do something) the reason why some long gone virus is coming back? Polio or some other serious disease?

Also its the same argument with - a hot debate - as with creationism. A bunch of morons claims its a ligitimate discussion while the scientists thell them to go STFU.

As for fail - I once saw a girl ski down a 500m slope, straight into a wall that was at the end of it. Never tried to brake.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I get where both sides are coming from on the autism/vaccine issue. It's kind of a shame that more people lack the ability to do so as well.

If you have a child...you have to explore both sides of the issue. No two ways about it. You want what's best for that child. Autism rates.....1 in every 160 born. You're concerned about that as a parent.

Yeppers....celebrities.....well, what can I say. We all know to take it with a grain of salt.....at least I hope we do.

There's no real need to armchair quarterback this issue. If there is a possibility that vaccines are linked to autism, you check it out if you have a child that age. I did. The findings I made lead me to believe there was no issue and I laid it to rest. Pretty simple. Didn't call anyone idiots....didn't make up a sign and protest on the corner....didn't insult anyone. The world doesn't have to be this complicated and ugly.

Celebrities push stupidity just as well as politicians and public figureheads--scientific community included. No one group is excluded from doing and saying dumb sh*t.

With that said, I backed my truck into the house once when I got my foot stuck under the brake pedal. :thumb:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
By people choosing to not vaccinate their kids (if its right or not) society at least gets some cases were they can have examples to see if its working or not, that one of the ways we find cures, trial and error.

Someone's choice to do so is not up to me so they can do as they see fit. By talking about the kids that have died because of it then you would have to be 100% prolife, because really, what do you care about someone elses kid (sounds terrible but really they could have just aborted it and then not worry). What do we as people loose by a few people dying? nothing, perhaps someone that would grow up to invent something amazing we dont know.

As for fails...... if Lebron doesn't win a championship this year he gets my vote

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
How about the fact that TN failed at posting a fail video?

I can not figure that **** out. :rant:
I have even received detailed instructions.

wait.....so you just put this between the tags "1xSDI9Gg63I&"?! :eek:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I can not figure that **** out. :rant:
I have even received detailed instructions.

wait.....so you just put this between the tags "1xSDI9Gg63I&"?! :eek:
Yeah, just the string of seemingly random characters after the equals sign in the url.