Quantcast

bighit question

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
I have an 03 Specialized Bighit Comp, the one with the 5.5"/6.7" link on the back, and I want to buy a new shock for it. Anyone know what size I need or how to find that info.
Oh, and if anybody has any idea where I can find new/used linkage upgrade kits from anywhere other than Avalache, I would appreciate it
Thanks

steelewheels

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
Specialized makes the one i have, the fsr big link and a 9 inch x 2.8 inch stroke fox rc. I think it gets 8 inches with 2 head angle/ BB adjustments. I think betd in the uk makes one for it aswell.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
steelewheels said:
Specialized makes the one i have, the fsr big link and a 9 inch x 2.8 inch stroke fox rc. I think it gets 8 inches with 2 head angle/ BB adjustments. I think betd in the uk makes one for it aswell.

The Spec. Big Link is out of production, you can't get it. and the shock was 8.75 X 2.75

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
PooMan said:
I have an 03 Specialized Bighit Comp, the one with the 5.5"/6.7" link on the back, and I want to buy a new shock for it. Anyone know what size I need or how to find that info.
PooMan, to measure a shock there are 2 parts

1. Eye-2-Eye: (Best to do while the shock is off the the bike, or on the bike but fully extended) Get a tape measure that has millimeters and inches. Measure from the center of one mount bolt to the other.

2. Stroke Length (this is where the shock being off the bike comes in handy). Remove the spring, pull the shock apart, and measure the length of the "plunger" or "shaft" of the shock.

Now you have two numbers, that should look something like 8" x 2" (or something like that). Check your spring rate and your ready to shop for your new shock.

Kanter said:
I thought it used a 8.75x2.75
Kanter, what size Avalanche do you have on your FLY ? 9.5x3 ??

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
dhpimp said:
PooMan, to measure a shock there are 2 parts

1. Eye-2-Eye: (Best to do while the shock is off the the bike, or on the bike but fully extended) Get a tape measure that has millimeters and inches. Measure from the center of one mount bolt to the other.

2. Stroke Length (this is where the shock being off the bike comes in handy). Remove the spring, pull the shock apart, and measure the length of the "plunger" or "shaft" of the shock.

Now you have two numbers, that should look something like 8" x 2" (or something like that). Check your spring rate and your ready to shop for your new shock.

Kanter, what size Avalanche do you have on your FLY ? 9.5x3 ??
The stock shock is 7.875 x 2.25

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
The retail on the SPecialized link and Fox shock was $400 retail a couple of year ago. With the new Fox shocks, I don't know if anything has changed. When ordered through a shop (only way to get them) Specialized would ship quickly. Maybe even 1 or 2 day. For what its worth, in the year that I am thinking of, retail on the Fox RC alone was $350, so it is a good deal.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
No one makes a 8.5x2.75 that I know of. My wifes 2005 Big Hit has a DH link. I would think it might work on the older BHs. Call Specialized. The 05 Big Hit uses a 8.75x2.5 and gets 7.5" of travel. If you put a 8.75x2.75 you can get 8.25".