Quantcast

Bike check - Deity Cryptkeeper...

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
I know this is big gravedig but i stumbled upon this forum after reading up on this frame (which I like). I'm posting to point out something that I strongly believe is false which is the comment about sub 15" stays being not as good for a dirtjump bike. It sounds like there is some misleading/feeding of some marketing bs going on here. Please don't believe that sub 15" stays makes a bike less stable to a point where it is a lesser DJ rig. You are denying the reputation of almost every 20" and 24" rig in existence. With regard to stability vs flickability, the slack headangle and long wheelbase of any 26" frame make it more than stable enough for any dirtjumping task. A sub 15" chainstay on the cryptkeeper would not make the bike too "aggressive" for dirtjumping it would just make it lighter, stronger, stiffer, more flickable, and most importantly more fun to ride. But hey if you lack the fine motor skills to control a bike with a slightly shorter rear end, by all means buy the bike because it just a teenie weenie bit more stable than those "ridiculously aggressive" 26" dirtjump bikes.

That being said the bike looks great. Good work deity.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
http://www.deitycomponents.com/frames.htm

I know there are some other pics out there but I can't seem to locate them right now...

And BRider, WTF are you talking about? Isn't frame sizing/specs a personal opinion and shouldn't it also be somewhat relative to the riders own size?

Priced nice too. I'd be stoked on this if the back end was shorter.......:)

Last edited:

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010
Thanks for the posts guys...

There is no marketing BS needed with our frames. We cannot find a sub 15 inch chainstay 26" bike that does not have a neutral or positive BB drop (in this case "rise"). A bike with sub 15" stays and a neutral or positive BB cannot be as stable on dirt jumps as this geo is intended to thrive in technical street/park riding which is a completely different beast to conquer.

We chose exactly how we wanted both frames to feel and we took our time to make sure it was right. I LOVE trail riding and wanted to design a frame that is intended for this discipline and would avoid being one of the typical "do it all" bikes out there. I am sure any dedicated trail rider would prefer to have a frame designed solely for their style of riding. For those that don't...there are tons of other options out there fortunately.

If someone somehow loves sub 15" stays and neutral/positive BB's for trails...then we have our street frame, the Streetsweeper, that would suit them quite well (even though we designed it for street and park).

Nevertheless, the geo on the Cryptkeeper kicks ass on trails, plain and simple.

The Cryptkeeper geo already has a short 15.25" rear end with a 25mm BB drop which makes it super easy to manual through rollers, but keeps the center of gravity low and the bike stable on large sets and high speed berms. Personally, if I rode a bike with sub 15" stays and a neutral/positive BB on trails...the bike would handle like hell to me.

I think I would not be alone in this assumption among other trail riders.

We have plenty of clearance to make the Cryptkeeper even shorter in the back, but we chose not to go that route as 15.25" coupled with our BB drop made the perfect blend for high speed aggressive trail riding. From the response people have had riding one...they absolutely love the bike. Easy to pump, rails berms, flickable, etc...

There are some frame options out there that are tailored for a specific riders needs. Sure, many are marketed to do every style of riding, but we wanted to go a completely different route and focus solely on the discipline.

Either way, the feedback is highly appreciated as it allows us to explain our choices in terms of geo. Many people can say..."yeah yeah yeah, it is just another cr-mo frame", but we really feel that our frames are not just the average norm and when more people get on them (when they are officially released), I think you guys will hear it from their mouth instead of ours. We are super confident in our frames and when we designed the Cryptkeeper, we designed it for people like Zach, Stead, Clint, Cru, Kidwoo and others who are true trail riders and diggers.

You gotta love options!

I must say though, the crew of people posting on Ridemonkey is impressive. Most of the people posting on this forum are legit hard core riders and trail builders, so props to all of you as you do not find this type of legit posters on most forums.

Go watch Zach's new edit on Vital to see some of this frame in action...

Regards,

Eric
deity

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Yeah, i had no idea they would be that cheap. People should swoop on these biatches, cuz it def aint just another cromo frame. $hit straight smashes trails like no other.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'd love to see the geometry numbers from this thing lined up with some of the other frames out there.

69 HT
71ish ST
15.2 ish CS
22.2 TT

those are pretty standard numbers on most DJ/4x/park frames.

the only number that I don't see often on frame listing is the BB drop/height/location.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I missed the post from diety......

The Cryptkeeper geo already has a short 15.25" rear end with a 25mm BB drop which makes it super easy to manual through rollers, but keeps the center of gravity low and the bike stable on large sets and high speed berms. Personally, if I rode a bike with sub 15" stays and a neutral/positive BB on trails...the bike would handle like hell to me.
Spot on. It seems like literally every other frame maker is making the same damn bike these days. 15.5 chainstay, 12.5-13ish BB with the only variables being top tube and maybe head angle. You're literally the first manufacturer I've heard step up and say a dropped BB is more stable on big, fast trails which is right on the mark. I don't give a damn how my trail bike manuals at 5mph on some stupid planter wall, I wan't it to work at 20mph off a 6ft lip and through the vert berm I just rode to get there. To be honest, I wish it were actually lower. People run from low bbs on hardtails for some reason and I just don't understand it.

I rode a buddy's bike that has a super short rear end and a positive BB. His explanation was that it pumped, popped and cornered better. It was the sketchiest piece of shlt I've ever ridden. He got on my bike on a freakin pump track and went faster. He sold it within a week :D

Glad to know you're out there man. I'll probably own one of these things when they're around.

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010
Thanks Kidwoo...

Yeah, if all a person is used to is a super short rear end and a neutral/positive BB drop/rise, then they probably love the feel of their bike as they do not have a clear comparison. But, to compare the feel to something that is DJ designed is very different and makes the experience of trail riding completely different.

PNJ...

The geo specs on the Cryptkeeper are:

69.5 degree head angle
25mm BB Drop
15.25" Rear End
71.5 degree seat tube angle
10.5" seat tube
22.25" Top tube

All of these numbers are tighter than most frames out right now (unless compared to street/park frames) and if someone wants steeper head angles, higher BBs, and shorter rear ends...then there is the Streetsweeper. The numbers for it are:

70.5 degree head angle
0mm BB Drop
14.9" Rear End
73 degree seat tube angle
10" seat tube
22.25" Top Tube

Both frames are Full Post Weld Heat Treated with double butted and triple butted tubing throughout...Spanish BB, Black ED finish inside the tubes, Integrated head set, compact dropouts, and are designed around an 80mm travel fork.

Thanks guys!

Eric
deity

(Image of the deity Cryptkeeper in Toxic Green and the deity Streetsweeper in Flat Purple...minus graphics)

Attachments

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just out of curiosity, how do you measure bb 'drop'? Like a lot of other things that's kind of dependent on fork right? As I understand it, drop is the difference relative to a horizontal line through the front and rear axle....is that correct?

So even BB drop as a measurement varies with fork length. Say you throw an 8" dh fork on there, the headtube gets raised even though the front axle obviously doesn't....you get a different drop measurement.

If that's the case, is that -25 based on a 4" fork?

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010
Good question.

BB Drop is measured from the center of the axles to the center of the BB shell which makes it a much more reliable measurement than BB height (which is affected not only by fork choice, but also tire selection...which is a much bigger variable).

All of the geo measurements are around an 80mm travel fork, so if someone runs something longer or shorter...it will affect the geo.

Since the geo is designed around an 80mm travel fork, the reason we list BB drop over BB height is because of the varying tire choices out there. If someone runs a 1.95 tire versus a 2.2", BB height can vary tremendously due to sidewall heights, etc. and a listed BB height is typically 100% unreliable.

All frames will be designed around a particular fork length and this is what decides the exact geometry. Some people who run a positive rise BB (+15mm for example) on a frame designed for an 80mm travel fork (most are and should be) with a short rigid fork, their BB will actually drop substantially and their head angle will become steeper, and the bike will feel completely different than initially intended.

Forks and tires can throw a bike off quite noticeably.

The BB Drop (coupled with chainstay length) is what will determine how easy it is to get the front end up, the position of the rider's center of gravity etc. and in my mind, is how companies should base their BB positioning.

BRider

Chimp
Nov 10, 2010
- For the person who asked who the f*ck I was talking to, I am talking to everyone and anyone who believes you need .25" longer stays for your bike to be stable enough to ride some dirtjumps.

- To the dude who said im butthurt because i can't loop out on a 26" bike, I have never ridden anything but 26" bikes. I just don't have my head so far up my ass that i can't see the benefits of other bicycles street/park/dirt.
I can do alot more than loop out my bike and here's a vid of me riding my bike on some dirtjumps if you actually think im butthurt lol:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/168821/
My part starts at 2:20

- Also frame sizing and geo is completely personal opinion. And if people like longer stays on their bikes all the power to them, its just that it was stated that sub 15 inch stays should only be marketed towards street and park guys, which is BS. There are benefits associated with shorter stays that for most people I think would outweight the benefit of a longer stay in a dirtjump situation on a 26" bike.
- Positive and neutral bb's IMO feel like crap on a 26" bike period no matter if your riding street or dirtjumps. A 14"-15" bb height just makes the bike feel dumb. A much better option than riding a bike that has a bb that is this high is to ride a 24" bike or a bmx for street (well these bikes are better for street period)
- To Eric(deity), I don't see where your coming from with this comment "We cannot find a sub 15 inch chainstay 26" bike that does not have a neutral or positive BB drop (in this case "rise"). A bike with sub 15" stays and a neutral or positive BB cannot be as stable on dirt jumps as this geo is intended to thrive in technical street/park riding"..... Why can't you have a bike with sub 15" stays and a low bb for dirtjumps ? My Tonic Fab Howie V2 has 14.6" cs and a 15mm bb drop. I have owned an oldschool sc jackal, an ns suburban, and a blk mrkt malice before the tonic and did not notice myself feeling any less stable on dirtjumps when going to a more 'aggressive' geo'd frame, however they all had a similar bb height which i liked (lowish).

- I have always liked deity's philosophy and their super customer service and i currently ride their bars, decoy 2.0 pedals (alloy), tibia post, and I have some vendetta 3.0's with a ti spindle in the mail right now. The cryptkeeper looks great and will be a sick dirtjump bike. I just think that if more people had the chance to ride a bike with shorter stays and good geo other wise (not too steep headangle, low bb) they would realize that it does not make it a lesser dirtjump bike that shouldn't be marketed towards dirtjumpers, simple as that.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hey Brider: you're saying a lot of the same things that everyone else here is saying, outside of the chainstay argument.

What's a little silly is that you seem to honestly believe that anyone here is saying they CAN'T ride a bike with shorter chainstays on trails. No one said that.

Zach and eric were comparing what diety is making to a lot of other frames out there. And I know what eric is saying......most companies making really short rear ends jack up the BB for some reason (usually in the interest of 'flickability' or nimbleness or some other silly thing). Any hardtail feels nimble stalled out 6 feet over a lip :D

I haven't ridden a howie but that's the only one I know of that doesn't fall into the category that eric was describing. (shorter chainstays with a positive bb drop) But what he said DOES apply to most of the other frames out there.

But personally speaking, I haven't ridden a super short chainstay bike that has an appropriately dropped bb. Considering most frame makers run like little girls away from bb meausurements that start with an 11, I also don't think I ever will in the near future. The cryptkeeper is already shorter in the rear than my bike and I'm stoked to check one out. I just keep forgetting grab zach's bike whenever I see him.

edit: and I'm not even going to watch your dick swinging video unless there's a shot of you doing a suicide nipple pincher. Is there a shot of you doing a suicide nipple pincher in there?

BRider

Chimp
Nov 10, 2010
Kidwoo: If it came off as me saying that people think they can't ride a bike with shorter cs that's not at all what i intended. I also said geo is personal preference, and obviously people know you can ride short cs bikes on trails, i did mention bmx after all. Zach said sub 15" cs bikes shouldn't be marketed as dj bikes, he also said etc. which is what im assuming is him referring to a stupid high bb's and super steep headangles. I agree with the ect. part but obviously not with the cs length statement. You straight up acted like a douche instead of attempting to understand.
The dick swinging video was not aimed at your anyone else but the guy who said i was crying because I can't loop out my bike.

P.S. next time I'll get a huge S.N.P in there for you if you into that kind of thing,
and wtf is a creepy uncle?

Last edited:

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010
BRider...

Thanks for the post and all of the support! There is nothing wrong with riding a bike with a short rear end and properly designed BB drop. Even though we could shorten our rear end even tighter (sub 15"), we chose not to due to personal preference. Surprisingly on really big sets at high speeds, we would not want to change anything on our stay measurements or BB drop. But, that is just preference and makes us just another option.

The Tonic is the only frame I can think of with a BB drop (they list the BB height to be at 12.8" on their site) and regardless of how it riders in dirt, I can bet that it rides super well in park/street with a 14.6" rear end and a BB height of 12.8".

Like Kidwoo said...most every frame manufacturer with sub 15" stays runs a positive BB drop/rise. It does compliment technical street/park riding and by running such high BB's it allows for more clearance to close up the rear end (a positive on both sides for park and street).

Our stay brace design allows us to keep things slammed tight with tire clearance to spare, but we are happy with 14.9" stays on the Streetsweeper frame and sticking with 15.25" on the Cryptkeeper. After so damn long testing the designs and making the first drafts count, we are 110% in love with the geo and we spent the time making sure it was right the first time around.

I notice a slight change in head angle, BB drop, or chainstay length. In fact, after riding so many frames during the development of the Cryptkeeper...I fell in love with the first proto as it stood out so much in terms of handling to me. A quarter of an inch or a degree here or there is super noticeable to me and can make an amazing difference if used correctly.

Again, it is personal preference and that is the beauty of options.

Last edited:

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010
Yep..."etc." would refer to super short stays + high BB heights + steep head angles which all lead to a great street/park bike, but not for trails. At least for me and from what I gather, all of you guys...

Last edited:

BRider

Chimp
Nov 10, 2010
Thanks for the response Eric. I agree 100% with all of what you said i just have ever so slightly different preferences. The fact that you express so much care about your product, and are so involved with all of the details is one of the main reasons I like your company so much and will continue to support you guys. Good job and good luck with those frames, I will be sure to let my friends and fellow riders know about your offerings when they are in the market for a new dj or street frame.

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010
Thanks for the good words and it is having support from real riders like all of you, that make any plight of operating a business worth it. We listen to all feedback, negative or positive, and we actually implement it into what we do. People communicating their concerns or questions or comments is absolutely critical to me, so I just appreciate the chance to reply to questions you guys have.

regards,

Eric
deity

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You straight up acted like a douche instead of attempting to understand.
I don't need to 'try' to understand incredibly simple concepts. You and I both speaka da engrish.

You started out with this aimed at someone who rides big trails literally about every single day the weather allows.

But hey if you lack the fine motor skills to control a bike with a slightly shorter rear end, by all means buy the bike because it just a teenie weenie bit more stable than those "ridiculously aggressive" 26" dirtjump bikes.
So who came out smelling like cooter wash again? :)

I'll accept your apology once I see that sucicide nipple pincher. Only now you have do it shirtless because I'm totally
BRider said:
into that kind of thing

You're under 16 right? Actually do it wearing some daisy dukes too.

BRider

Chimp
Nov 10, 2010
Alright i'll admit i was an ass, but that was just my harsh way of saying you probably wouldn't feel any less stable on a set dj's if your axle was "slammed" (shorter cs) in your dropout versus near the edge (longer cs) or at least I haven't in my experience and then I went on to say why it would be beneficial to have a shorter chainstay to an extent (some bmx's can have too short of cs IMO).
Anyways... im 21 and your one sick puppy.

peace out

Last edited:

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010
How come you guys (Deity) chose the spanish BB over a mid if i may ask?
The Spanish BB allowed us to get better tire clearance, it was lighter than a MID shell (bearings are also lighter), and we love the cleanliness of the Spanish system.

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
This may be blasphemy but I'll ask anyways; Eric or Zach, do you know if a this will take a derailleur? I know it doesn't have a hanger but can it accept the adapter? I'd be riding this SS for djs but would like the ability to run a derilla...

Thanks.

Also is there any word on a realistic release date?

Last edited:

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010
This may be blasphemy but I'll ask anyways; Eric or Zach, do you know if a this will take a derailleur? I know it doesn't have a hanger but can it accept the adapter? I'd be riding this SS for djs but would like the ability to run a derilla...

Thanks.

Also is there any word on a realistic release date?
Definitely not blasphemy! Nevertheless, both frames will be singlespeed only. I will have to check if some of the aftermarket derailleur adapters may fit as they should work on any standard horizontal dropout though. I will do some research...

The frames are in the middle of production (finally) and will be available early March. We would have loved to have them out earlier, but we kept revising the artwork and packaging design which was worth it in the end.

If you want to backorder one, hit us up and thanks for the support!

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
Thanks so much Eric...

March is pretty dialed lead time as most of the trails will still be saturated. I look forward to hearing about the aftermarket adapter possibilities.