Quantcast

Bike companies that are (somehow) still around

Which bike company still in business is the most surprising?

• Ellsworth

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Jamis

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • KHS

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Marin

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Ventana

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Foes

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Cove

• Orange

• Cannondale

• Corsair

Votes: 13 14.9%

• Total voters

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Nope nope, not that, not the CPC, not the Cliff Cat. This was back around pre-M1 Horst link, but post Mac-strut, if I remember the time frame, 1998-1999ish probably. Configuration like the non-horst link Azonic DH bike, but square stays, kind of like Turner and Chuck used, but bike looked nothing like those, more like the much later Risse Lassen bike, but just not bolt-together.
check out that FB page I mentioned , tons of crazy stuff from the early days .

sure it,s not a Ventana ??

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Can we add Diamondback to the list? I don't remember if they ever made a good or even good looking bike
The mason hardtail was the first 29r meant to be fun that I can remember. The DH bike looks solid too, But the trail bikes have always been a bit less desirable than the competition for one reason or another.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Are Brooklyn Machine Works gone now? I think I remember an article where Pharrel bought them or something weird.
already mentioned. their website is still up. only frames they offer are urban fixies and the like, and a bmx frame. bmx frame is the only thing showing as in inventory, asides from the clothing.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Still getting Pharrel money. Moved their shop to new location, used to see Joe and his kid riding at the local poison ivy nursery, er, trails, but not recently. He was on a 650B BMW hardtail.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I have a Parkbike frame in the hoarder pile in my basement from, what, 10 years ago, and it's the same frame they are selling now. Wait, no, mine has brake bosses and no disc mount.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
They did:

:drool:
My XC rig from 2000-2003 or so was a sweet 1996 DBR hardtail. Tange Prestige, Chris King, 1996 XTR throughout including the first V brakes. It was quite satisfying to bump along on Boston area trails, especially when I took it full rigid.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Can we add Diamondback to the list? I don't remember if they ever made a good or even good looking bike
Welded Carbon Fiber FTW.

Be gentle tho, Diamondback made some good stuff in the early days that was just as good as anyone else was turning out. I had a V-link 3.0 and with a real fork and a few upgrades, it was a good XC rig and in a few years specialized went to the same basic config with the FSR XC, minus the non-Horst pivot. When they were bought out (by Pacific?) it went to hell.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Diamondback seems to be coming back, very slowly but surely. They just made a big splash in the road world with their new TT bike, which is honestly cool as hell. I have two of their bikes, a disc brake road bike, which is decent but mostly just affordable, and a mason hardtail. The mason is waiting for real wheels to actually get any riding time, but they're both decent bikes, and awesome prices. I've seen people on DH bikes by DBR as well.

While it's fun to reminisce, this is supposed to be for companies that still exist.

I'm a little surprised that GT is still kicking after they went from hardcore MTB brand to walmart special.

Risse. What the fuck?

Rockshox. Up yours, customer!

With all the shit they've produced, I can't believe that TREK still has a presence in the MTB industry. I get they make great roadbikes, but they have come an incredible distance since the Y-5-O.

Planet X/On-One/Titus/Ragley/Cotic- One brand houses all these different sub-brands, and it's essentially the same competing shitty chinese frames and parts with different paint, all designed by one guy with T-rex arms like Gary.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
But remeber, Gary started 'Genesis' geometry, which basically was a really long top tube for the time.
Unless Gary from RM (from Scotland?) == Gary Fisher then it's two different dudes being referred to.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I'll ad Chris King to the list. External headsets went the way of the Dodo bird. They took years to come out with an Isis BB and by the time they were ready to release it, external BB's came out. By the time they released the external BB, press fit was the new thing. I can't justify $250 for a front hub when a $40 one has sealed bearings too, or a rear hub that cost $460. I can't even tell you the last time I "heard" one.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'll ad Chris King to the list. External headsets went the way of the Dodo bird. They took years to come out with an Isis BB and by the time they were ready to release it, external BB's came out. By the time they released the external BB, press fit was the new thing. I can't justify $250 for a front hub when a $40 one has sealed bearings too, or a rear hub that cost $460. I can't even tell you the last time I "heard" one.
But then what would you lace rims to for your $5K single speed? Their hubs even come in sweet ano colors like 'mango', 'sour apple' and 'navy'. Heck, I bet they'd even custom paint the hubs if you wanted something sassy like 'shrimp' or 'heather'.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
chris king has had press fit BB's and internal headsets for some time now.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I used to lust over the idea of owning an Arrow DSS-3 with DHH rims... so what if I was scared of jumps, and it would have been a terrible bike for the trails I used to ride.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Diamondback seems to be coming back, very slowly but surely. They just made a big splash in the road world with their new TT bike, which is honestly cool as hell. I have two of their bikes, a disc brake road bike, which is decent but mostly just affordable, and a mason hardtail. The mason is waiting for real wheels to actually get any riding time, but they're both decent bikes, and awesome prices. I've seen people on DH bikes by DBR as well.

They have Bill Nye.
https://www.diamondback.com/bill-nye/lets-ride

/thread.

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
a buddy had the 1st 2 versions outland did , lots of fancy milling on the swing arms and linkage , the where made in Washington before SC bought them and co LC the design with Intense .

there is a really good FB page that has tons of images of the early years of full suspension DH frames and such .

The Vintage Downhill MTB page is what it,s called , lots of cool old images from back in the day
Have you not noticed how the mentioned FB page is just using the pics from my Pinkbike page ? They didn't have to much until I uploaded all those old mags at the beginning of the year.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

While it's fun to reminisce, this is supposed to be for companies that still exist.

I'm a little surprised that GT is still kicking after they went from hardcore MTB brand to walmart special.

Risse. What the fuck?

Rockshox. Up yours, customer!

With all the shit they've produced, I can't believe that TREK still has a presence in the MTB industry. I get they make great roadbikes, but they have come an incredible distance since the Y-5-O.

Planet X/On-One/Titus/Ragley/Cotic- One brand houses all these different sub-brands, and it's essentially the same competing shitty chinese frames and parts with different paint, all designed by one guy with T-rex arms like Gary.
I'm surprised they survived the years when they were producing shit. Now their bikes look better but I'm still to meet someone reliable owning them and claiming they are but yeah they are trying to turn around. Still they hire some strange people. A distribution exec visited, hired the 2 biggest clowns in the local industry who take turns being stoned out of their minds and insulting their sponsors/employeers and then proceeded to behave in a similar fashion to them. Still it's a local thing. It's probably better abroad.

Still I want to add to the list:
  • Crank Bros - I know their stuff looks good but they are basically a bike equivalent of this good looking girl that gave all of your friends STD's so why do people still want to try risk a penis infection?
  • Atomlab - shit customer support, many shit products even if some are decent.
  • DNM - 15 years ago they sold because they were cheap but I haven't seen their new product on a bike in years yet still somehow they are a thing
  • Marin - their bikes don't seem horrible but there is something seriously wrong with the way they sell their bikes. You can't buy them online, you can't even read too much about them online so their PR must be sleeping, shop presence in Europe seems non existant. It is just strange to me they exist despite no apparent proof they are selling bikes.