Quantcast

Bike companies that are (somehow) still around

Which bike company still in business is the most surprising?

• Ellsworth

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Jamis

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • KHS

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Marin

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Ventana

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Foes

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Cove

• Orange

• Cannondale

• Corsair

Votes: 13 14.9%

• Total voters

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Have you not noticed how the mentioned FB page is just using the pics from my Pinkbike page ? They didn't have to much until I uploaded all those old mags at the beginning of the year.

dude impressive photo album , and yeah I see some of your images have been used , You should mention it to him see what he says

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
They've probably been making your fox forks all along.
Wasn't that X-Fusion? Or does X-fusion produce for Bos? I remember they did it for one of the non Asian brands.

Still RST still exists on a ton of super cheap bikes, trekking bikes plus in this strange segment between a supermarket death wish and something resembling a real bike.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
In their previous incarnation the brand was centered on road bikes, and their designs were hideous. I know a couple of guys down here with vintage bonded-carbon-tubes frames. Upon being bought by CRC they diversified into MTB.
Ahh... I remember those!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I had an aluminium Vitus roadbike around 1994. 105 sorta level Shimano IIRC. It was the first Aluminium bike I'd owned and nothing fancy but that was just fine but back then. I much preferred riding a Flying Scot* handmade steel road bike with Campag record/Chorus more so sold the Vitus fairly quickly

*Handmade in the mid 60s by Ratrays in Glasgow full lugged brazed Reynolds 531c - (only got rid of it as it was 27 1&1/4 and wouldn't take 700c.. I gave it back to the original owner.)

Lots of old brands have been bought and re-branded by the likes of CRC and On-One (eg. Holdsworth) over here. I don't even see the point as practically no one still riding other than me remembers the heritage. Bicycling is full of Golfers and Dentists these days.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I had an aluminium Vitus roadbike around 1994. 105 sorta level Shimano IIRC. It was the first Aluminium bike I'd owned and nothing fancy but that was just fine but back then. I much preferred riding a Flying Scot* handmade steel road bike with Campag record/Chorus more so sold the Vitus fairly quickly

*Handmade in the mid 60s by Ratrays in Glasgow full lugged brazed Reynolds 531c - (only got rid of it as it was 27 1&1/4 and wouldn't take 700c.. I gave it back to the original owner.)

Lots of old brands have been bought and re-branded by the likes of CRC and On-One (eg. Holdsworth) over here. I don't even see the point as practically no one still riding other than me remembers the heritage. Bicycling is full of Golfers and Dentists these days.
Maybe so... have experienced this scenario a couple of times... dudes talking about how this new $5000 29er fully is so fast and gives them so much roll over (but they don't know when to brake or turn)... so I come up to this traffic going downhill on the trail on my regular hardtail and accelerate past with a simple hi (i.e. not braking). Conversation mostly goes quiet after that... either way, I'm out of range quickly.

I dunno about dentists/doctors/lawyers/golfers, but there sure seem to be a lot of n00bs who don't know any better out there. Where are they getting their info?! Every new bike should come with a getting started guide written by kidwoo.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
true story:

when i lived in SoCal, it came to my attention that I lived only several blocks from Henry James when I was communicating with him in the process of ordering something. We arranged an in person pick up. Chatted for a bit. He was a rad old dude.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
RST fork was responsible for this. Landed a jump and the fork "damper/spring" dissentigrated, front wheel washed out, and I went over the bars. When I got up I was missing a front tooth and my arm was dangling at a 45 degree angle near my wrist. Thankfully I'd just bought my first helmet the week before :D

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
RST Space? ^

Those things about killed a few people I know because they're all "same as a fox 36 derpaderp"
I hear you. I've watched at least three of those snap at the crown as if it was made of popsicle sticks. And another two having their dampers fired off the stanchions like ammo from a grenade launcher.

Nobody got off those situations as scarred as @djjohnr but there was some serious shit eating involved.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I once DH raced all season on a RST High Five dual crown fork. I put it on a 3 inch travel cannondale super v that was not designed for a dual crown fork. At the end of the season, my RST fork got recalled for........"fork may fail at high speeds....."

I am living, breathing, walking, miracle of life.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I once DH raced all season on a RST High Five dual crown fork. I put it on a 3 inch travel cannondale super v that was not designed for a dual crown fork. At the end of the season, my RST fork got recalled for........"fork may fail at high speeds....."

I am living, breathing, walking, miracle of life.

Or you just kept getting behind butch and hence not riding very fast.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
And another two having their dampers fired off the stanchions like ammo from a grenade launcher.
my quadra 5's elastomer shot out of the fork and into my chest riding through a drainage trough the first year I owned my first "real" bike. They were recalled shortly thereafter, and I got a black, crappy fork to replace the grey, crappy fork.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my quadra 5's elastomer shot out of the fork and into my chest riding through a drainage trough the first year I owned my first "real" bike. They were recalled shortly thereafter, and I got a black, crappy fork to replace the grey, crappy fork.
My Answer Mach 5's top cap ejected itself forcefully, iirc. Another recall for that (? can't find it but did find another! https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1996/CPSC-Answer-Products-Announce-Mountain-Bike-Suspension-Fork-Recall/ ) Thankfully it didn't tag me during its exit. Maybe it was the Quadra 10 that did this...

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
My Answer Mach 5's top cap ejected itself forcefully, iirc. Another recall for that (? can't find it but did find another! https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1996/CPSC-Answer-Products-Announce-Mountain-Bike-Suspension-Fork-Recall/ ) Thankfully it didn't tag me during its exit. Maybe it was the Quadra 10 that did this...
Damn those forks were horrible, even for the time. I had a Quadra5 that got stolen and I replaced it by a Manitou Mach5. I remember that even though I never tried better forks, I thought both were obviously junk. Mine didn't fail as bad as yours though.

A few years later (in 2000) I had a Manitou SX-R that was much better, but quite noodly. The real deal was when I upgraded it with a Manitou XVert Super 2001. That was a seriously sweet fork, especially with motor oil in the lowers instead of the Manitou grease!