Quantcast

Bike companies that are (somehow) still around

Which bike company still in business is the most surprising?

• Ellsworth

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Jamis

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • KHS

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Marin

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Ventana

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Foes

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Cove

• Orange

• Cannondale

• Corsair

Votes: 13 14.9%

• Total voters

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Yes, dropping from 29 to 27.5 lowers it about 0.75", but Plush Mode raises it back up about 0.3", plus running a 140 fork raises it up a little more and keeps the head angle slacker...that setup would be have a BB height around 13.0".

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Get a Trail Pistol, error on the side of sizing down, put it in Plush Mode, run normal 27.5 wheels, and that's pretty close to what you're describing.
You must not have seen the "straight tube'd or monocoque" and "26" wheels" parts of my post. While I like what you guys are doing I don't like the looks of the Trail Pistol. A straight TT would look soooo much better. Sorry!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You must not have seen the "straight tube'd or monocoque" and "26" wheels" parts of my post. While I like what you guys are doing I don't like the looks of the Trail Pistol. A straight TT would look soooo much better. Sorry!
top tube isn't curved for looks. it's to fit a bottle cage in a non-moronic location.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
That is true, but I'd rather wear a fanny pack than have a gen 1 nomad top tube to crush my balls when I've had an "off". Otherwise the bike seems rad, but I agree with irider.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
That's stupid, a straight TT would have way less standover clearance, you wouldn't be able to fit the water bottle in there, and the tube would have to be thicker.
For comparison, look at the Pedälhead, the top tube is a straight line from head tube to rear axle (size S and M). The Trail Pistol TT is lower than that under your balls when you hop off the saddle.

As far as making straight tubed 26" frames, nobody else wants to buy that.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
That's stupid, a straight TT would have way less standover clearance, you wouldn't be able to fit the water bottle in there, and the tube would have to be thicker.
For comparison, look at the Pedälhead, the top tube is a straight line from head tube to rear axle (size S and M). The Trail Pistol TT is lower than that under your balls when you hop off the saddle.
I can't argue against the performance aspects of the frame. But I personally need to like the looks of a new bike as well as the features before I get that tingly feeling that makes me spend unreasonable amounts on N+1.

As far as making straight tubed 26" frames, nobody else wants to buy that.
Didn't Trek just revert to more straight tubes claiming that they are stiffer? They even had to put this knock block thing in so that the fork is not hitting the DT.

And why not offer a full custom option for those that aren't trend whores? The only other company that does decent custom FS bikes in house is Nicolai, so a niche right there!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think keep ST gusset, replace TT with straight tube would look best and benefit standover. Don't know about strength though. Obviously some people may love the look of a bendy top tube, and that's cool.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah that curved top tube both makes sense practically, and looks better.

Does someone sell flared tubes like that, or do you have someone doing custom forming for you?

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
I can't argue against the performance aspects of the frame. But I personally need to like the looks of a new bike as well as the features before I get that tingly feeling that makes me spend unreasonable amounts on N+1.

Didn't Trek just revert to more straight tubes claiming that they are stiffer? They even had to put this knock block thing in so that the fork is not hitting the DT.

And why not offer a full custom option for those that aren't trend whores? The only other company that does decent custom FS bikes in house is Nicolai, so a niche right there!
the head tube is stronger with the straight down tube , but the downside is the fork will hit the frame hence them designed the built in steering stop .

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Those are definitely not off the shelf, I worked with our tube supplier and designed something that did what we wanted and could be manufactured without incurring insane tooling costs.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Those are definitely not off the shelf, I worked with our tube supplier and designed something that did what we wanted and could be manufactured without incurring insane tooling costs.
I figured, but was just surprised to see you guys using something with that kind of manipulation given low(er) volumes and so on. That's neat that it was viable.

I design a ton of goofy custom weldments at work, but my shit's mostly one of one, so custom drawn tubes aren't on my radar at all.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
@iRider you think this actually looks better?

View attachment 123531
It is moving in the right direction.
From an aesthetic point of view the current TP is a mix of swoopy front triangle and straight chain and seat stays. That doesn't go well together IMO. If you would put that straight TT lower on the seat tube so it is nearly in line with the seat stays and reduce the bends in the DT it would look more like a coherent design. Again, just my opinion.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
@mtg

Just like my lines of coke, I like my toobz straight. It just gives a bike a more purposeful, industrial look. But I also understand the issues presented in terms of accommodating water bottle mount points, so I wanted to run this conceptual design by you -

You will notice it has a lot sweet, almost handsome, straight tubes and yet also several locations to mount a water bottle cage. Again, I just think straight tubes provide a crisper aesthetic quality to a frame, and hopefully you will agree. I can send you over the drawings if want to mock one up for test mule purposes. And while I know you've settled on the Trail Pistol moniker, if you decide to offer my design as a production model, I would humbly request that you use the "Fucktard Frame Technology" nomenclature.

Your friend,

Jacky

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@mtg

Just like my lines of coke, I like my toobz straight. It just gives a bike a more purposeful, industrial look. But I also understand the issues presented in terms of accommodating water bottle mount points, so I wanted to run this conceptual design by you -

You will notice it has a lot sweet, almost handsome, straight tubes and yet also several locations to mount a water bottle cage. Again, I just think straight tubes provide a crisper aesthetic quality to a frame, and hopefully you will agree. I can send you over the drawings if want to mock one up for test mule purposes. And while I know you've settled on the Trail Pistol moniker, if you decide to offer my design as a production model, I would humbly request that you use the "Fucktard Frame Technology" nomenclature.

Your friend,

Jacky
looks flickable

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@mtg

Your friend,

Jacky
you'll be gutted when you have an off. literally.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
@mtg

Your friend,

Jacky
Awesome, in return for such stunning design work, I'll give you 5% off on the first production model.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
@mtg

Your friend,

Jacky
Pffff...

DC SPECIAL :dirol::headbang::monkey::rockout: