Quantcast

Bike companies that are (somehow) still around

Which bike company still in business is the most surprising?

• Ellsworth

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Jamis

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • KHS

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Marin

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Ventana

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Foes

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Cove

• Orange

• Cannondale

• Corsair

Votes: 13 14.9%

• Total voters

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Redalp laugh at your 'too high top tube' woes.

Why not make the top/only tube really high, then shove a shock right through the seat tower - giving you a bike with all the weight up high and the perfect chance to snag your balls on your shock.

also that's the 2016 model. Still firmly in business allegedly.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Also, Liteville maintains that no-one has had their balls removed by the linkage on their 301. I don't believe them.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
the head tube is stronger with the straight down tube , but the downside is the fork will hit the frame hence them designed the built in steering stop .
Oye. One of the more curious design decisions I've seen on a bike recently (Trek) only because they actually made marketing claims about it for websites to copy and pasta. I'm sure that it is well designed but personally, I'll take a 'tougher' configuration with a curved downtube on my bike. Forget how Trek justified the design. But tube shapes that distribute loads over a larger surface area in both tensile and flexural loads will result in design that is less likely to break.

Anyway GG seems to have a good grasp with what they are doing.

don't get me wrong. i wasn't knocking GG's strength, durability or riding prowess. but claiming that a rising top tube somehow magically is lower than a straight tube in the "nut-zone" is ludicrous. we've all been biking for quite some time now and know better than that...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Redalp laugh at your 'too high top tube' woes.

Why not make the top/only tube really high, then shove a shock right through the seat tower - giving you a bike with all the weight up high and the perfect chance to snag your balls on your shock.

also that's the 2016 model. Still firmly in business allegedly.

I'm trying to figure this one out, clearly that bike came out of a timewarp from 1999, yet it has a new Fox 40 on it? Methinks someone from the future has been fucking with the timeline....

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm trying to figure this one out, clearly that bike came out of a timewarp from 1999, yet it has a new Fox 40 on it? Methinks someone from the future has been fucking with the timeline....
It's too bad it has a DHX2 and not a Float X2. The potential for genital destruction when the shock blows up would be next level given its placement.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm also a fan of the linkage driven idler (I guess to compensate for the chain growth from the super high single pivot?)

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I can see space for at least 4 water bottles on the enduro model though.

Also, for anyone asking for straight tubes and 26" wheels - I assume they have some stock left.

Attachments

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Loved what he had to say... especially that frozen dog shit line. Also loved how he talked about all these different bullshit standards; makes me want to get a Turner frame next time.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Loved what he had to say... especially that frozen dog shit line. Also loved how he talked about all these different bullshit standards; makes me want to get a Turner frame next time.
The brand with the least bullshit out there right now... the business is changing but he's not going anywhere.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
While I understand, I don't agree. Gee Atherton and I rode probably the same frame. Saying that WC DH doesn't influence the bike industry like F1 doesn't influence the car industry is kinda completely wrong. Where'd you get that 65* head angle on your trail bike? The turner homers on MTBR? No, it came from people pushing the envelope in DH and translating that feel to your trail bike.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
While I understand, I don't agree. Gee Atherton and I rode probably the same frame. Saying that WC DH doesn't influence the bike industry like F1 doesn't influence the car industry is kinda completely wrong. Where'd you get that 65* head angle on your trail bike? The turner homers on MTBR? No, it came from people pushing the envelope in DH and translating that feel to your trail bike.
You may be taking that too literally. There's probably more crossover between Pro DH than F1 for regular consumers. The point I imagine he's talking about is that the requirements for a pro DH and a regular rider are pretty different... and while it's nice to aspire to being fast like Atherton and ride the same gear, what you need out of a frame/brakes/wheels/whatever is pretty different from those folks w/ factory mechanics, multiple frames a season and more spares than you could shake a stick at. i.e. their stuff needs to last 1-2 runs... yours years hopefully.

And you're slower :P

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
@mtg

Just like my lines of coke, I like my toobz straight. It just gives a bike a more purposeful, industrial look. But I also understand the issues presented in terms of accommodating water bottle mount points, so I wanted to run this conceptual design by you -

You will notice it has a lot sweet, almost handsome, straight tubes and yet also several locations to mount a water bottle cage. Again, I just think straight tubes provide a crisper aesthetic quality to a frame, and hopefully you will agree. I can send you over the drawings if want to mock one up for test mule purposes. And while I know you've settled on the Trail Pistol moniker, if you decide to offer my design as a production model, I would humbly request that you use the "Fucktard Frame Technology" nomenclature.

Your friend,

Jacky
reminds me of this:

speaking of. I miss trivial.

edit:
I know no one cares, but I like the straight top tube rendering on the previous page vs the curvy one. standover height it for losers with short legs.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Saw one in the wild a week or two ago, being ridden by a female.

I almost lost it.

How about Mongoose?
Hey now, I used to have a Mongoose Dirt/BMX(?) style bike. Lasted 8 years with no maintenance, other then replacing brakes, wheel/tires,(from my bike scrap yard). I was NOT easy on it. I was a lot younger. I still miss that bike, it finally broke right before I moved and had to get rid of almost all my bikes. It was fixable but had no room for it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
reminds me of this:

speaking of. I miss trivial.

edit:
I know no one cares, but I like the straight top tube rendering on the previous page vs the curvy one. standover height it for losers with short legs.
Is that a 4x4x4x4x4x4x4x4x4? They'd go ape shit if they saw that on the knolly forum.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Bumping this thread for 2020. I just saw a press release from the Hayes group. Here is a list of the companies they own:
Hayes, Manitou, Sun Ringle, Answer, Wheelsmith, and Reynolds.
That is a who’s who list of shit you have hardly seen since the turn of the century.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Bumping this thread for 2020. I just saw a press release from the Hayes group. Here is a list of the companies they own:
Hayes, Manitou, Sun Ringle, Answer, Wheelsmith, and Reynolds.
That is a who’s who list of shit you have hardly seen since the turn of the century.
Once they purchase cheetah or KHS, retail complete builds better watch the fuck out!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Once they purchase cheetah or KHS, retail complete builds better watch the fuck out!
:rofl:

That said, the Mezzer is really fucking good, and I'll say the same about the Dominion A4s if they go another 6 months without going all Shimano-y or something like that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am more interested in discussing alternative hydration systems. Since frame mounting is all the rage these days how about just a fluid filled frame where the dropper post acts as a pump pressurizing and squirting your favorite beverage right into your mouth.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
There were some tri frames back in the day that could be used for water storage, one had a ‘straw’ that came out of the top tube, IIRC. very aero...
I always wondered about mold n’ such.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I am more interested in discussing alternative hydration systems. Since frame mounting is all the rage these days how about just a fluid filled frame where the dropper post acts as a pump pressurizing and squirting your favorite beverage right into your mouth.
You mother****er. Positive pressure.

Is there a way to make oil taste sweet?