Quantcast

Bike gifted to me, what do I have?

TheDean

Chimp
Jun 9, 2011
I've always been a casual rider, not paying much attention to specs and technical details, but I want to change that. I been given a used bike by a friend who hasn't ridden it for about 6 years.

Can you tell me what this bike is set up for? Is there anything on here that needs to be drastically upgraded?

I took it down to the local shop and had them tear it down and clean it, replaced the chain and gave it an overall tune up. It seems to ride great. I tried to ask them some questions but they seemed to not be too interested in talking to a noob.

Thank you in advance

2002 Giant AC2

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
I have one currently (still running great from 02) and have replaced everything on it besides the raw frame components. They are pretty nice bikes, especially when you get them for cheap haha. I only run mine in the 6" travel mode though.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Pay no attention to the weight weenies - there is nothing on that bike that screams for an upgrade, a bike like that - regardless of age, weight or spec is an excellent first trail bike. The only issue I am aware of is a tendency for the bushings wear out under hard use. If your pal hasn't been hard on the frame you should be fine.

Read more here; this frame was well loved in its day. :)

Last edited:

TheDean

Chimp
Jun 9, 2011
Pay no attention to the weight weenies - there is nothing on that bike that screams for an upgrade, a bike like that - regardless of age, weight or spec is an excellent first trail bike. The only issue I am aware of is a tendency for the bushings wear out under hard use. If your pal hasn't been hard on the frame you should be fine.

Read more here; this frame was well loved in its day. :)
Awesome thanks, he beat on it pretty good so I'm sure I'm going to have to replace the shocks sometime soon. Yeah I'm not too worried about the weight, 34lbs isn't bad, I took it out last weekend and had no issues what so ever on the trails.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I owned that very bike and it was fantastic. The only thing I upgraded on it was the fork - it came stock with a RockShox Psylo. But someone has already done that for you!

You'll love it. It's not the lightest, or the flashiest, or the most sophisticated design - it's just a solid riding frame that you can enjoy.