Quantcast

Bike Graphic Design Contest

lolWes

Chimp
Aug 24, 2011
Currently laughing at the fact that the grand prize is up to 100 percent of a frame. No real guarantee that you will get only 10 percent of a frame you don't want to buy.

@Tantrum Cycles you should give me a full factory ride, I can ride up to 100 percent of the speed of Aaron Gwin

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Currently laughing at the fact that the grand prize is up to 100 percent of a frame. No real guarantee that you will get only 10 percent of a frame you don't want to buy.

@Tantrum Cycles you should give me a full factory ride, I can ride up to 100 percent of the speed of Aaron Gwin
The reason for that is that I wanted to open the competition to no-pros. If a pro wins, they receive 100% off. If a kid with a crayon drawing wins, he gets $600 off, since we would have much more expense to finish it.

if somebody doesn't want the frame, it probably doesn't make sense for them to enter.

Factory rides will be available........how close to 100% of AG can you ride?

lolWes

Chimp
Aug 24, 2011
The reason for that is that I wanted to open the competition to no-pros. If a pro wins, they receive 100% off. If a kid with a crayon drawing wins, he gets $600 off, since we would have much more expense to finish it.

if somebody doesn't want the frame, it probably doesn't make sense for them to enter.

Factory rides will be available........how close to 100% of AG can you ride?
I can't fully give out measurements at this time. I can provide a vague video for you to look at and attempt to scale so you can check the facts behind my claims. But I warn you that it will be super hard to scale accurately and you may draw inaccurate conclusions.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
To all contestants,

In appreciation of everyone’s work, I am increasing the prize levels. The winner will still get 100% off. Second place will get a $700 credit voucher off a new frame. Third will get $500 off. 4th and 5th will each get a $200 voucher.

BTW, I chose $700 for 2nd place because that is what the original guy charged me for the current graphics.

Depending on the quality of the final work, this could increase.

Good luck,

cheers,

brian

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
So 2nd place "winners" will still have to give you money to get compensated? What a bargain!
I will make an assumption that anybody entering would like a bike. Otherwise, why enter? So, ya, if you don't want a bike, it would be kinda dumb to enter. On the other hand, since every single entry would like a bike, a $700 discount counts a lot. it's as good as cash.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I will make an assumption that anybody entering would like a bike. Otherwise, why enter? So, ya, if you don't want a bike, it would be kinda dumb to enter. On the other hand, since every single entry would like a bike, a $700 discount counts a lot. it's as good as cash.
Since no one on the internet has the intelectual capacity to properly evaluate the bike how will they know they will like it before riding it?

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Since no one on the internet has the intelectual capacity to properly evaluate the bike how will they know they will like it before riding it?
Do you really think internet forums are where people intellectually evaluate bikes before buying? Have you read the collective IQ level of the comments?

For that matter, do you think the majority of bike customers anywhere have that capacity? Most just listen/read reviews and what their friends say. Just like here.

The ones that are interested watch the videos with an open mind, listen to my explanations and see that they make sense and correspond to the videos. Then, they read reviews in online and print mags, talk to friends that have ridden them and maybe get to ride them themselves. They realize the bike does what is claimed, which offers desirable ride and geometry characteristics not available with other designs.

Call me crazy (again), but my evil plan seems to be working,

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Yes. In my case, input from Ridemonkey users had a major influence on my purchase of a $6K dentist bike last year. If I were looking again, I'd ask again here.
Well, if you are basing your buying on reviews and people that have ridden those bikes, that's a great resource.

If, on the other hand, you are buying based on their technical analysis based on scaled photos, probably not the most reliable resource around. It's like reviews on amazon, I look at them, but you have to consider the source and realize not all those reviews, (good or bad) are accurate.

In this case, the people that most seem to want to tear the idea down and deny that anything new is possible, are my competitors. Hardly a source of intellectual objectivity. Or science, for that matter.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Do you really think internet forums are where people intellectually evaluate bikes before buying? Have you read the collective IQ level of the comments?

For that matter, do you think the majority of bike customers anywhere have that capacity? Most just listen/read reviews and what their friends say. Just like here.

The ones that are interested watch the videos with an open mind, listen to my explanations and see that they make sense and correspond to the videos. Then, they read reviews in online and print mags, talk to friends that have ridden them and maybe get to ride them themselves. They realize the bike does what is claimed, which offers desirable ride and geometry characteristics not available with other designs.

Call me crazy (again), but my evil plan seems to be working,
To be honest I trust many Ridemonkey users over 99% of the reviews since most of the reviewers are afraid to be overly negative and many of them know little about bikes plus they can often don't know more about bikes than your average guy. I'm saying that as somone who has been writing about bikes for 7+ years.

When I look for a bike I ask people who seem knowledgable about bikes and it's easy to know who is on the forums since you can see their posting history. I did it with my last bike + talking to the designer of the bike (who had no problem sharing way more info about his design before the bike was on sale than you). I bought the frame for full prace 1 year before release, wrote a review about it like it was a test bike (a very positive one) and I'm really happy about it.

PS. You can have an open mind and not agree with your statements. You claim like claiming you might be wrong meant close mindedness but using that idea anyone who doesn't believe in anything is close minded (ie. Homeopathy)

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
To be honest I trust many Ridemonkey users over 99% of the reviews since most of the reviewers are afraid to be overly negative and many of them know little about bikes plus they can often don't know more about bikes than your average guy. I'm saying that as somone who has been writing about bikes for 7+ years.

When I look for a bike I ask people who seem knowledgable about bikes and it's easy to know who is on the forums since you can see their posting history. I did it with my last bike + talking to the designer of the bike (who had no problem sharing way more info about his design before the bike was on sale than you). I bought the frame for full prace 1 year before release, wrote a review about it like it was a test bike (a very positive one) and I'm really happy about it.

PS. You can have an open mind and not agree with your statements. You claim like claiming you might be wrong meant close mindedness but using that idea anyone who doesn't believe in anything is close minded (ie. Homeopathy)
The close mindedness I am referring to is related to 3 basic trends that have occurred during the discussion of the Missing Link.

1) the absolute insistence that the photo analysis, if not right, is close enough to draw conclusions. At the same time, the same poster mentions how an error of 0.1 mm can throw off the LR by a factor of 10. I didn't make these numbers up. these numbers are posted by competitors that do not think this can work and are making up numbers to "prove" it. The worst kind of close minded engineering known to man.

2) the absolute insistence that a falling rate, at any point, must be bad. Especially at the beginning of the stroke, where a "low" leverage ratio MUST be harsh, When I point out that a front fork is the lowest, at 1:1....strange silence from the assembled experts.....

3) Here's the big one....that all suspension performance can be defined by AS and LR. This single item is the the most ridiculous statement that could ever be posted . The most close-minded in the extreme. The absolute worst form of engineer that thinks everything is "settled". These are engineering "facts". You can't get more close minded than an engineer that knows everything.

When they are my competitors trying to discredit the work they don't understand, it's just a bit pathetic.

Open mindedness would include a discussion of the objections I have raised with the posted theories. Not one of the so called engineers has even half a ball to do that. Just post funny pictures and videos...castrated monkeys