Quantcast

bike manufactures

itchy8me

Chimp
Mar 13, 2002
Portland Oregon
what's a good manufacture to get a bike from?? My boyfriend was talking about a trek. Is that a good kind? Does it really matter? I"m looking into riding trails and stuff like that, no street riding. so does it matter what manufacture i go through as to which ones have good quality. Plus i don't know if i really want to do this for a long time or what? i don't know if i'm gonna stay with this or not. so yeah...any suggestions?

skiba

Yah Mon
Sep 24, 2001
maybe try and borrow a bike from a friend and try some riding out first??? i dunno...i never had this problem

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Basically what you should do is go to a BIKE SHOP. Dont set foot inside a Kmart or big department store. You want a bike shop bike, where they will do service for you. Basically what the shop has i good.

Bike Manufacturers
2 Hip
24 Bicycles
243 Racing
Aeon Bikes
Airborne
AMP Research
Ancillotti
Arrow Racing
Azonic USA
B-1 Bikes
Balfa
Base Bikes
Bianchi
Bikee
Bontranger
Boulder Bikes
Breezer
Brew
Brisa
Brodie
Brooklyn Machine Works
Buffalo Composite Designs
Canfield Brothers
Cannondale
Catamount
Cheeta Cycles
Chumba Wumba
Clif Cat
Colnago
Cortina Cycles
Cove Bikes
Craftworks
Crescent
Da Bomb Bikes
Dean Bicycles
Dekerf
Devinci
Diamondback
Dirt Works
Dk Bicycles
Ellsworth
Endless Bikes
Epic Bicycles
Evil Bikes
FBM
Federal
Foes
Free Agent
Fuji
Gary Fisher
Giant Bicycles
GT
Hardland Bikes
Haro Bikes
Huffy
Huffy BMX
Identiti Bikes
Independent Fabrication
Industrail
Intense Cycles
Ionic
Iron Horse Bikes
Jaanus
Jamis
Jeep Bikes
K2 / Proflex
Kangeroo Bikes
Karpiel
Kestrel
KHS bikes
KHS Canada
Klein Bikes
Kona
Kuwahara
Lenz Sport
Litespeed
Marin
Merlin Bikes
Metal
Monty
Moots
Mountain Cycle
Nicolai
Norco
On One
Orange
Oryx
Planet X
Psycle Werks
Pure Power
Race Bike
Raleigh
Redline Bikes
Ritchey Logic
Rocky Mountain
S&M Bikes
Salsa Cycles
Santa Cruz
Saracen
Schwinn
SE Racing
Sinister Bikes
Snipes
Softride
Specialized
Spot Brand Bikes
Storm Racing Cycles
Titus Cycles
Tomac Bikes
Transtech Bikes
Trek
Turner Bikes
Vario
Voodoo Cycles
We The People
Yess
Yeti

:D

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
Originally posted by itchy8me
what's a good manufacture to get a bike from?? My boyfriend was talking about a trek. Is that a good kind? Does it really matter? I"m looking into riding trails and stuff like that, no street riding. so does it matter what manufacture i go through as to which ones have good quality. Plus i don't know if i really want to do this for a long time or what? i don't know if i'm gonna stay with this or not. so yeah...any suggestions?
yeah, Trek makes some starter bikes that are just fine. so do Kona, Giant and Specialized. You ought to be able to find these in bike shops pretty easily.
good luck

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
GT and Schwinn bikes are flying off the floor real cheap right now and they have some entry level machines like the Avalanche (GT) and Schwinn Rocket series. Both have high quality frames and decent componentry. Don't worry about the out of business thing and factory support. Anything that would break from a beginner riding is from aftermmarket companies anyway. Good Luck and welcome to the sport.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Since you are in Portland. Go to Fat Tire Farm! I think they rent bikes so you could try one out for a good long day or two. They have employees (including ladies) that ride all sorts of bikes. That way you can hear lots of differant opinions and maybe find someone to ride with when the boy freind is out playing with the guys.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by Yeti DHer
...Voodoo Cycles...
R.I.P. :( (Trek now owns the name).

Since you're just starting, any of the major brands would be good. Once you get addicted, and you will get addicted, you can worry about frame geometry, tubing materials, and all that fun stuff. The important thing right now is how the bike fits. Definitely go to a bike shop! They have the experience to fit you properly and to perform necessary maintenance. Good luck and have fun.

spincycle9

Chimp
Feb 22, 2002
sale creek, tn
Originally posted by Yeti DHer
Basically what you should do is go to a BIKE SHOP. Dont set foot inside a Kmart or big department store. You want a bike shop bike, where they will do service for you. Basically what the shop has i good.

Bike Manufacturers

Diamondback???

????????????????????... If THATS the case you should at least have mongoose on this list, Yeti... BTW Dick's Sporting Goods (yeah I know, its not a bike shop!!!...however) MIGHT have a couple of Mongoose Black Diamond Series (the Valiant FS and the very highly reccomended Hard Luck hardtail) at really good sale prices. These are the only 2 I would reccomend from there. They are both entry level bikes but are spec'd well enough to take you on into intermediate level riding...

Good Luck shopping!:D

Bomber

Chimp
May 15, 2002
Massachusetts
For beginners I'd go with a Specialized Hardrock. I mean I freeride and dirtjump with the damn thing and it han't snapped yet!:D So thats a good sign. Try either Specialized or Norco and maybe Trek.

-Evil Bikes-

I am glad you didn't forget the small guys Yeti.:D

Before you go out and buy a bike borrow a decent bike and make sure that riding you actually enjoy riding. You'll know on the first ride whether or not it mountain biking is something that you are willing to spend all your free time and money on. I sure did.:D

As for manufacturer preference, any of the major brands like Trek, Specialized, etc.. should suit you fine. Don't forget about Giant because they make some very nice entry level bikes with decent components for fairly cheap.

Hope this helps.

Shamrok

Chimp
Jun 11, 2002
I'm a newbie as well.. and just purchased a '02 Spec. Rockhopper A1FS.... and it has just been heaven ever since.. has been a great bike to ride around campus and go out on the trails after class. comes stocked with some pretty good components i supposed? Shim deore shifters and deraileurs, manitou comp six, mavic x139 rims, and all other sorts of goodies...
my only complaint is that the seat post seems kinda squeaky up top.. but when i have the money i'll see what some wd40 does

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
whatever you do, DONT buy a bike from anywhere like walmart or target. my friend had one and the front shocks went up in like a month an a half. i dont like gripshifts either but thats up to you. i always seem to accidentaly shift when i go over a bump when im riding a bike with gripshifts.