Quantcast

bike people just blow me away sometimes

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well i mean no harm or anything towards anyone on this thread god knows ive been slammed enough but all this talk about the Evil DOC in this thread

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100538&highlight=DOC

and a couple of other threads about it have just got me wondering why so many people are willing to lay down the cash and wait until jan. for a bike they havent ridden? I mean let me state Evil makes ultra dope bikes but there is no way in hell i would ever buy a bike without at least doing the parking lot/wheelie test on it. i prefer to do a trail test on top of that. But maybe there is something to be said by being the first person to have one, maybe they are just that confident in the products that they dont need to test ride them. Maybe we will be seing a few slightly used DOC's for sale in the early winter. Again not knocking anyone just thought it would be a good topic for discussion.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I am with you. BUT with my ht I know the geometry I like. I can basically visualize how it will feel by the basic geometry. I ordered my Transition blind. But I knew it would ride like my buddies p2 with a longer TT and short chainstays as well as a high BB. Just knowing that made it the perfect djer for me. And it worked out. The bike fits like a glove.

I would never order a dually this way though. I am to picky about how a bike feels and suspension designs feel different from one to the other.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
biggins said:
well i mean no harm or anything towards anyone on this thread god knows ive been slammed enough but all this talk about the Evil DOC in this thread

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100538&highlight=DOC

and a couple of other threads about it have just got me wondering why so many people are willing to lay down the cash and wait until jan. for a bike they havent ridden? I mean let me state Evil makes ultra dope bikes but there is no way in hell i would ever buy a bike without at least doing the parking lot/wheelie test on it. i prefer to do a trail test on top of that. But maybe there is something to be said by being the first person to have one, maybe they are just that confident in the products that they dont need to test ride them. Maybe we will be seing a few slightly used DOC's for sale in the early winter. Again not knocking anyone just thought it would be a good topic for discussion.
Lots of people look at the geometry and the build and decide from there. I bought my Endless without ever holding one or riding one until after I ordered it.
Other people like a name rather than a bike and they have the newest pimpmobile out there.

Niether of these are bad but you don't always have to ride it first...sometimes that just isn't possible.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
It is a rigid frame and doesn't have crazy geometry so a lot of experianced riders are going to get a good idea of how it rides just from looking at the numbers and drawing.
My last couple of frames I didn't try before buying but I know what I like, there are lots of other people that know what they like as well.

Of course there are the people that don't really care about that stuff and would be happy on almost any frame and want one for some other reason.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
hmm.. Biggins, I don't understand why this particular thing would set you off?!

I mean, as was stated, it's a hardtail. It will ride a specific way. If it's got adjustable chainstays (which it does), we're talking about only a couple measurements that matter - headangle and bottom bracket height. It's built with Reynolds tubing (which is worth a lot of $$), for a really cheap price. That's something to jump on right there.

There's a million things to be amazed about, but a hardtail that packs a lot of quality into a super cheap price isn't one of those things... There's only so much that affects how a hardtail rides - who needs a parking lot test?

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
i guess i see where your comming from but i orderd my sgs blind granted allan fit me at the shop and every thing but its not like i had ridin it or notin. although i did ride another sgs so i guess i didnt order it blind ohh well. but i do see where your comming from biggins, but someone has to get it first to give it a test ride to give it a review to tell us. so what are we supposed to do.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah if you're smart you always wait for the second year when they work out any kinks. When you buy a first year run bike you always seem to suffer thru them.... i've done it, it's just one of those things especially true on a FS.
The good thing about it is just to remain silent and follow the threads of a person that has a bike you're interested in and find out how it holds up over time. So look on them as your guenia pigs, lean back and learn and thank them for helping out the bike industry and you.... :p

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i've almost always built stuff up without ever riding it. numbers is numbers, i feel like i can pretty much ride anything... although i seriously doubt you'll hear many complaints about the DOC ride.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
This one is easy. I pre-ordered one based on GEOMETRY.
I was planning on building up a singlespeed hardtail this winter anyway.
The reason I like the D.O.C. is because of its head angle. Its 69 with an
80 mm fork, and I prefer slacker head angles.
It just a hardtail with good geometry and sliding rear dropouts,
its not like I am really rolling the dice here.
But honestly, I would not have ordered this frame from a new company.
I ordered it because I have known DW for years, and have nothing but respect for him and the products he has already produced.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Skookum said:
Yah if you're smart you always wait for the second year when they work out any kinks. When you buy a first year run bike you always seem to suffer thru them....
I absolutely agree.

However, in this case, we're talking about a burly hardtail here. There's just not a whole lot to mess up. It's not using ultra thin wall tubing or anything, it's just a bunch of burly tubes welded together. No pivots, no linkage plates, no uber-lightweight anythings...

A burly hardtail from a well established company with a good track record is a pretty safe bet.

Biggins, your theory is correct, you just chose a piss-poor example of it ;) :p

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
thats friggin hillarious binary.

seriously thoughi am not doubting the quality of Evil products they are superbadassmegadopealicious i was just curious. no matter what i am just the type of person that likes to ride before buying, thats all.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
biggins said:
seriously thoughi am not doubting the quality of Evil products they are superbadassmegadopealicious i was just curious. no matter what i am just the type of person that likes to ride before buying, thats all.
Oh, I'm not even trying to say that Evil products are infallible. Frankly, they seem to be :D, but regardless, ANY well established company is a pretty safe bet on a freeride hardtail.

It'd be really nice to be able to ride everything before buying, but there's just no high end shops around here and not a lot of riders who have high end bikes. I've gotta do all my shopping online, with no ride time to help me out with my decisions, so I have to become fairly adept at buying-by-the-numbers, and many other people are as well.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
You thread remonded me of all the stuff that people started saying about the Dorado MRD X-Works. Manitou discontinues it, and all of a sudden people are like, "It sucked!" when all summer I did not hear a single bad thing about it. Props to both marketing teams I guess.
But in defense of those who have a chubby for the DOC, it is much easier to quantitatively evaluate a frame sight-unseen based on the riders preffered geometry than it is to evaluate a fork.

J

JRB

stoney98 said:
I would buy any ht w/o riding if it had certain #'s. 69* ha, 16.5 CS, 23.5 TT, 14.25 BB. As long as it didn;t look like it'd break, I'd be all over it. (coincidentally the yeti DJ is these exact #'s)

Yeah - I would buy one of the Yeti's. Rumor has it they will just mail out hoodies. Oh wait, nevermind....