Quantcast

Bike related: Tire/ Tube size question

5cents

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
in the 303/720
Let me set the scene:

Time: A few hours ago
Situation: Picking up some rims, tires and what the hell, some tubes.

Okay, so I pick up my recently trued Rims, finally, and needed some new tread. So I pick up the Cont. V. Pros. Have-em on the other set.

The sales guy, says, do you need some tubes. I'm like, yeah. Just ran out. So he brings me a size tube that fits 26 x 1.5-1.9. The tire is 26 x 2.1.

Im like, wtf, so I say, I need it to fit a 2.1.
he's all, naw, this is what you want.
I'm like no, dude, the tire is 2.1, the tube only fits up to a 1.9.
He starts going off about how the tube will expand to fit the 2.1. Im like expand, what ever. It is going to flat after I hit the first drop. :mad:
So I say, I got some 1.9's at home, so no need to "Waste my money." :evil:

So, is the sales guy right. Should you run a smaller tube size than a tire size or should the tube size be the same size as the tire.

Thanks

5cents

5cents

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
in the 303/720
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
1.9 tube in a 2.1 tire is no big deal. If the tire were like 2.4-6 then you might start to have problems.
I hear that, but would it be better to run a size that includes the 2.1 size?

I mean they had a tube that fit 1.9-2.35?

Rock on

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by BikeGeek
Do you mean Conti Vertical Pros? They are 2.3 not 2.1.
Yeah but they size up more like "normal" 2.1s. :p

Tires and their goofy different sizes vs. what they claim to be!

I'm running some Tioga Factory DH 2.1s tonight on my Balfa and these suckers are wider than the Kenda Kinetics 2.35s they are replacing. Hopefully they will work well tonight too....they have a pretty meaty tread design, yet I think they'll roll faster than the stick e rubber kinetics.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My spare tubes are 1.9 and when I need to, I have run them in 2.65 without issue. I carry the 1.9 tubes as spares because they are cheap. I tend to swap them back when I get a better tube.

But now that I think about it, I think there is one in there now... Oh well, so far, so good.