Quantcast

Bikeapedia/Dictionary for MTB Terms

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Given how technical this sport is and how fast the industry moves, I though it would be helpful to have a thread devoted to defining words and terms from our sport.

Standard:

| noun | stan-dard |

1. A set of measurements or dimensions that comes out every few months to prevent backwards-compatibility and force future sales to include the new dimensions and measurements. Standards are generally unique and not shared across the entire industry. <did you see the new crankset standard, I can't wait to upgrade!>

Playful:

| adjective | play-ful |

1. A term to describe a full-suspension bike that either has a blown rear shock, or lacks rebound damping. Typically, the bike will have no stability and rebound up as fast as it's pushed down, helping people with weak upper-bodies deal with drop lips and jumps. <this fox CTD Evo shock has to be run with only 3 clicks of rebound, because otherwise it packs up, but it sure is super playful!>

2. A bike with chainstays no longer than 16.8", or when combined with the adverb "not", a way to describe bikes that are unridable, due to chainstays longer than 16.8". <I rode it down the mountain, but then I read on mtbr that the chainstays were 17.3", so I had to sell it because it wasn't playful.>

eBike:

| verb | e-bike|

1. The sport of determining how bikes ride by looking at them on the internet, often involving a determination of an amount of flex. Usually involves one or more false analogies, cherry picking and basing definitive scientific facts on personal experiences that have nothing to do with the bike being discussed. <I ebiked dozens of bikes before choosing this one.>

-noun

2. An electronic bike produced by a collaboration between Dick Cheney, Darth Sidious and Satan. Allows people even fatter than DHers to ride up trails. <I can't believe they are letting ebikes on my trails, something has to be done and I'm going to vote for Trump, because he'll ban the ebikes.>

Pedaling Platform:

| noun | ped-al-ing plat-form |

1. A feature on a shock used in lieu of functional low speed compression circuits or efficient suspension designs that generally makes the shock feel like a jackhammer when you go over rough terrain. Often times this is done by preloading the shimz valvez, which helps the bike to buck over bumps uphill, helping you by decreasing your traction and constantly getting kicked in the ass. Previous efforts by Progressive, Curnut and Manitou also helped to bring shocks to the market that attempted to fix bikes designed on napkins. <does this shock have a pedaling platform? I want to be able to keep up with the 29ers uphill.>

synonyms:
Pro-pedal
SPV
CV/T

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
RideMonkey

The internet euphoria of the mountain bike golden gods. Where the best and brightest minds come together to discuss the highest level opinions in the sport. A true reflection and representative data point of the best parts of the whole industry.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Enduro:

| noun | en-dur-o |

1. Synonym for an all-mountain bike, which it's itself a synonym for freeride, except the word "enduro", being used extensively in motorsports, sounds way cooler. <I didn't want a full on downhill bike, so I got an enduro."

2. One more thing that specialized probably has a patent on. <I was thinking about the Stumpjumper or the Pitch, but the new Enduro just caught my eye, especially because you have to use their proprietary shock mount.>

synonyms:
freeride
all-mountain
just fucking riding

-adjective

1. Description of how popular or trendy a certain bike or part is. <I would go with the 1x15 drivetrain, because I think it would be the best enduro.>

-verb

1. Riding downhill, but with no pads or body armor. Frequently with no helmet. <We both got our PBRs out of our pack, downed them, and then proceeded to enduro back to the brewery.>

2. Any mountain bike part or accessory that is not intended for exclusively uphill or downhill riding. <check out the new enduro grips I just got!>

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Mountain Bike Industry

Collection of career fuckup/underachievers/bottom-rung engineers who cannot secure meaningful employment outside of the manufacturing of equipment for their favorite fringe sport.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Kit

Pajamas for cyclists. Little to no function, but tremendous effort put into the design and appearance by Ray Charles.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Cat 2 Racer:

| noun | cat-2-race-r |

1. Technical term used by someone who is slow, fat (and likely ugly) that can't use the excuse of being a beginner to explain their lack of ability/speed. Usually used extensively on the internet to add internet-credibility and make the user sound like a "big deal". Often used while ebiking. <I'm a Cat 2 racer, so the problem is that you are not using oval chainrings.>

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Oversizing:

| noun | o-ver-si-zing |

A design technique which by itself multiplies the good qualities of any component/bike while mitigating the adverse ones. <Boy, if a 135 mm axle was stiff, oversizing it to Boost should surely make it overkill without any weight penalties!> <Oversizing the tires in 26-inch wheels brought the best cornering experience while adding damping for fat bikes. This made plus tires the logical evolution path for 650b/29ers.>

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Local Bike Shop:

| noun | lo-cal bike shop |

1. A location that retails bicycles and parts where mountain and road bikers go to look at components and accessories they will order on the internet.

2. A location where you get your backwards-fork installed correctly.

3. A place that will employ hippies, felons and various types of internet stalkers. Employees are usually required to undergo an apprenticeship of almost a day and shower at least once a week.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Local Bike Shop:

| noun | lo-cal bike shop |

1. A location that retails bicycles and parts where mountain and road bikers go to look at components and accessories they will order on the internet.

2. A location where you get your backwards-fork installed correctly.

3. A place that will employ hippies, felons and various types of internet stalkers. Employees are usually required to undergo an apprenticeship of almost a day and shower at least once a week.
4. A retail location that carries little to no actual product, but can order it for the customer - reliably at a substantially higher price than one could order the product themselves. This will usually require a follow-up visit to the location to discover the product has either not arrived, or was ordered incorrectly. The shop employees will then bemoan the onset of prompt, reliable and convenient internet sales to whoever will listen, which is usually the customer who is then bored to tears and shopping for the same part on their phone during this one-way conversation.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Downhill

1) An ancient form of off-road cycling, done on bikes that are simply too heavy and bouncy to be ridden by the millennials that populate the sport of mountain biking.

2) A form of cycling where the rider gets REALLY high and talks about the "stoke" and the "gnar" with their "bros", and forgets to actually ride.

3) A sport enjoyed by damaged people who can not afford a garage to put a dirt bike in, and live with their downhill bike as the centerpiece of their apartment. Arranging the bike so it won't knock over the bong when they move it proves to be the biggest challenge that the owner faces from day to day, due to nebulous employment status.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Dropper Post

A telescopic prismatic pair of tubes that replaces a standard one-piece seatpost in a bike frame. Actuated upwards by mechanical (spring) or pneumatic force, typically from a remote lever on the handlebar of a bike. Patentable technology is the concept that the cycling market is gullible enough to spend $200-500 on a spring in a tube, and then proceed to hammer themselves in the ass with it. After some amount of time and a few visits to the ER, most cyclists eventually realize that a saddle needs to be mounted on the top of the dropper post, and have to limp back to their Local Bike Shop (see above) to have the saddle ordered for them since they spent their laptop/internet money on the dropper post.

Synonyms:

Taint tapper
Pooper puncher
Ass rammer
Ball bouncer

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Downhill

1) An ancient form of off-road cycling, done on bikes that are simply too heavy and bouncy to be ridden by the millennials that populate the sport of mountain biking.

2) A form of cycling where the rider gets REALLY high and talks about the "stoke" and the "gnar" with their "bros", and forgets to actually ride.

3) A sport enjoyed by damaged people who can not afford a garage to put a dirt bike in, and live with their downhill bike as the centerpiece of their apartment. Arranging the bike so it won't knock over the bong when they move it proves to be the biggest challenge that the owner faces from day to day, due to nebulous employment status.
4) The origin of mountain biking before it was taken over by lycra clad roadies.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Emulation

Focused genre progression with respect to either the founding-base of a core faction within, typically during strong growth and increased outside interest.

This is why we're here, this is why we're here.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Pro

| noun | pro |

1. Anorexic 120lb cross-country rider (male or female) or downhill rider that has made peace with sacrificing his life on every race-run. They are often seen promoting components and performance gear they don't use. <I went pro, so I moved back in with my parents.>

-adjective

1. Marketing term used by companies to convince people that if they buy a certain product, they will be as fast as the naturally-endowed races described above. <There are two models, the World Cup and the World Cup Pro, you want the Pro.>

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Secret Trail

| noun| se-cret trail |

1. A trail built usually under the cover of night, often with no regard to property rights, by one or a few people, who then tell their friends about location of said trail. <I'm going to tell you, but you have to promise me not to tell anyone else about this secret trail.>

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Plastic

Slang for carbon.

"This plastic frame was worth the extra 1500 over Aluminum."

Semi-chubby

Term used universally to describe new mtb wheel size, the half fat / + size.

"My plastic semi-chubby is stiff yet compliant, it bounces over the trail with surprising precision.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Maverick:

A bike brand from Golden, CO. Known for it's SC32/DUC32 inverted forks, the Klein Palomino, Monolink suspension, the Speedball dropper post, giving GT and their iDrive patent a big fat fuck you, and Wasmachineman's ML7 and ML8.

"Boy, I sure do love the rear shock Ethan @ Maverick tuned for me!"
That's pretty dank, do they sponsor you? When is the duc36 coming out?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i saw a guy on the maverick over the weekend. my first thought was "wow one of those survived". my second thought was "wow, what an asshole. that guy is going the wrong way on a one way trail."