Quantcast

"Bikejoring" any others?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
For those of your who may not know what Bikejoring is you can watch vid

I have decided to get into since I have a new Gun dog in training and need a method to wear him down in order to get some good training adhered.

Ruger is a one year old German short haired pointer that I got a month or so ago and been working with daily. the dog will run for more than 10 miles at a sustained speed over 25mph. he has more energy than any other gun dog I have trained and his pedigree is overwhelming. it seems no matter how much I let him run in front of the truck he wont tire (without injurying himself)

So I am going to start bikejoring untill the wether gets bad and start skijoring in the winter.

here is why I have found this may make a perfect fit for ruger. the commands you use to hunt with are the same commands you would use for a pulling dog, (right, left, whoa, mush, but I would range for the previous.)

not only would the dog be happy and have a great time it would also be learning basic commands for the field come bird season and getting more than sufficient exercise.

I have the basic kit for pulling in the mail and should be here soon. I plan on using my garmin edge to calculate the dogs power and progress during the rides and will be able to see results in numbers wich would be amazing from a trainers standpoint.

discuss.......

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
What happens when the dog turns left to chase a squirrel?
after alot of research apparently this happens alot, newcomers will tie up a green dog with no training and get drug into trees and off curbs and all kind of crazy stuff.

alot of vids on youtube how some pretty skilled dogs and rider on some pretty techy trails at some decent speed.

ruger is trained enough not to give chase unless we are hunting.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I have done the ghetto version many times (holding the leash & being pulled).

Been wanting to do skijoring for a while now. Jack would love it.