Quantcast

Bikes for tall guys

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Hey there gents.

I have about 800 bucks to throw around on a new bike. I want to get into road.

I'm tall. 6'5, 77in, or 195.5cm

What can I get that fits me and fits my budget?

I know 105s are out of my price range. How is Sora?

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks,
RR

Cannondale used to make huge (63) frames. I've got a coworker who's 6'6 and rides a gigantor Litespeed.

You're gonna have a tough time finding a bike in a size that works for you, sadly. I'll ask him when I get in today for some suggestions.

Oh yeah, drivetrain is drivetrain is drivetrain. Sora/Tiagra is fine if the jump to 105 is too big pricewise. Run it until it breaks or you quit riding road. The only reason I'd suggest going 105 on a first road bike is for ease of compatibility when you do need new gear (10-speed).

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Specialized makes the Secteur in a 64, which might work for you. The base model is $940 at MSRP but low-retail should be a bit cheaper than that. It's their upright, 'comfort-oriented geometry' aluminum platform that is probably a good starter bike. The headtube is ridiculously tall on a 64, though, which could be problematic depending on your flexibility, desired riding style, and body geometry.

I would probably ask around local shops and see if you can ride something in the 63-64cm neighborhood and see how it feels, and go from there. A 61 might even work for you depending on your body so I would check that out as an option as well.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Trek and Specialized both have 61s that would work. I have 2 guys around here that fit Tarmacs in a 61 really well with 120cm stems. Bump your budget to around $900 and look at an Allez Sport or a Trek 1.2. I prefer the fit on Specialized bikes, but your mileage may vary.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Checked out the Allez, have trouble with top tube length. My back started hurting 30min into a demo. I have to check out the Secteur. Thanks for the leads guys!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Checked out the Allez, have trouble with top tube length. My back started hurting 30min into a demo. I have to check out the Secteur. Thanks for the leads guys!
Don't blame back pain on the frame.
Remember- bikes are never properly setup on the showroom floor.
Buying a road bike based on bike shop test rides is a bad idea as far as I'm concerned.
Find a friend who understands bikes to come with you so that he or she can throw on the appropriate stem, adjust the bars and make sure that the saddle is in the right place.

Just something to keep in mind...

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Good to know. They did a fit for me at the shop. I don't know how well they set it up though. They did change the stem and seat position.

The shop owners told me that finding a fit would be tough as I have a long torso and normal length legs.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Good to know. They did a fit for me at the shop. I don't know how well they set it up though. They did change the stem and seat position.

The shop owners told me that finding a fit would be tough as I have a long torso and normal length legs.
Go smaller instead of larger then.
13-14cm stem- don't let the bastards try to size you up.
That's some 1974 logic.