Quantcast

Biking shorts! Need Help!!

Chelseapiggy

Chimp
Jul 31, 2006
Winston-Salem NC
Hello My Sweets!

I have another clothing question... My bf and I went to a few biking store this past saturday looking for clothing... I was suprized at the range of pricing! The shorts with padding started at 34.99-175.00... I tried on several pairs and they all felt the same.. Excuse my vivid picture... IT felt like i stuck the biggest maxi pad on the face of this earth on the outside of my underwear and tired to walk with it....I was wondering what the difference is between the lesser to more expensive shorts and is there something a litter more comfortable:oink: ...

hahah that is great!! :weee:
thats why they call them biking shorts and not walking shorts! hahaha.
once you put those big padded shorts on and sit on a bike for a couple hours, you will still have a vagina left.:love:
Try fox's womens shorts, they are really comfy. I wear they guys and the girls. Trek's shorts are pretty comfy too..I believe they have the 8 panel liner. Also, to find good deals look on pricepoint.com, jensonusa.com, even try ebay(make sure you get NEW ones though).
the shorts are made for comfort on a bike, not comfort walking much...haha and once you wear them for awhile you will get used to them!

Good luck!!:)

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
:rofl: Love the description. Best laugh so far today. I know I felt awkward the first few times I wore biking shorts but now I can't imagine riding without them. I've purchased a few from pricepoint and really like them. They were the pricepoint brand and I like the way they fit. Have fun shopping for those shorts. :)

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
I bought my first pair of ladies baggies, fox's brand, this past weekend and wore them. They did feel a little "plush", but my butt didn't hurt after my ride. I also noticed they conformed to my shape so it didn't feel so much like wearing a maxi, but like wearing a chamois. The pad smooshes down after a ride and is not so thick also.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Chelseapiggy said:
I got another question.. When you wear these shorts.. Do you to wear any type of lotion for chaffing?
some people use chamois creme, but not all. More important for preventing chafing is to be commando with a comfy pad, and to have a saddle that you really like.

gg

Special K

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
CT by way of Beantown
I know they are expensive -- but for full spandex, go with Castelli, the Donna cut (I think). I have had two pairs for five years and they are awesome! Terry also makes nice spandex shorts. I like the Zoic baggies -- again had those for probably four years and they are still going strong.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Special K said:
I know they are expensive -- but for full spandex, go with Castelli, the Donna cut (I think). I have had two pairs for five years and they are awesome! Terry also makes nice spandex shorts. I like the Zoic baggies -- again had those for probably four years and they are still going strong.
I loved my Zoic baggies and they are finally worn out (5 seasons I think) :( I bought a new pair (Donners) and don't like the fit so they're sitting on the shelf, tags on them and unused :(

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
When I bought my first pair of padded shorts, I got them online (a no-name brand) and they feel ok, but are not as soft as the Louis Garneau's I bought and tried on in a store. If you know you like a brand (LG's really fit me well), then order them online. They're starting to really blow stuff out for the end of the season. Try Team Estrogen.com too.

I've definitely found that in biking, you pay for what you get. The 2 pairs of shorts that I paid more for are the ones I always reach for in the drawer before a long ride.

As for the butter, I've used some. Aside from the initial menthol tingle, it definetly works, but I'd never use it to help an uncomfortable pair of shorts. I'll use it when I do epic rides several days in a row.

Good luck with choosing your "diaper" ;)

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
Not a girl but I'll throw in my 2 cents as well.
On a long ride a really good pair of lycras can make a huge difference so if you are planning on some epics it can be a very worthwhile investment.

We (we being mohshee and I) tend to ride in one form or another 5-6 days a week and wearing crusty lycras isn't something i'm willing to do, nor is doing laundry every day or shelling out for several pairs of high end lycras.

My solution, I have one pair of spendy lycras for the epics and a a few pairs of el-cheapo shorts that I picked up at Academy for $20 each which do the job just fine for anything under 3-4 hourse.

And since Lycra doesn't provide much protection against abrasions (and looks silly to boot) I always wear a pair of baggies over em. My current favorites are the Fox Misfits which are super durable and look really spiffy ( I even wear them when not on the bike). I also have some older baggies I've ripped the liners out of to use as shells and some board shorts.