Quantcast

Bleeding Hayes Nine brakes

Jan 24, 2006
Groom Lake
I don't mean to sound like an idiot here, but does it take two people to bleed a Hayes brake?

I have the caliper off with a nearly-vertical line to get all the air out as I squirt fluid into the caliper with a syringe. But it's taking two hands to make sure the hose doesn't slip off the bleed valve and spew DOT3 all over the caliper and my floor.

So that leaves me in need of someone to pump the brake lever and replace the little over-fill cap thing on the master cylinder.

So should I just keep trying or should I ask a buddy for help?

My Shimmies were super easy to bleed and make ultra-tight and I didn't need any help figuring those out. I'm just thinking that if Hayes had a threaded bleed valve you could screw on a syringe/bottle and have complete control over the pressure and fluid going in to the line.

Thanks for the help and take it easy on me, I'm not the mechanic I used to be and I'm feeling pretty frustrated right now.

Jimmi707

Chimp
Oct 16, 2007
Brisvagus Ozland
just last wkend did my first bleed ever and with hayes. i got the bleed kit to be sure. i found the clear tubing hose in the kit produced a tight and snug fit over the calliper valve. i used 2in length then rigged it to the dicky bleed bottle but i'm sure with a similar bit of tubing you could fix it to the syringe.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I use a fresh piece of hose as the fluid make it lose it's elasticity. As Jimmi said keep it short too. There is a little spring in the bleed kit too that when placed over the end of the tube helps it hold onto the bleed fitting.