Quantcast

Blue Mountain Reservation

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
I am thinking of planning a two-day trip up to Blue Mountain in Peekskill NY with my comrades sometime in the next few weeks. It seems like there are a lot of disjointed websites and Jamie Bogner's great map floating around.

For anyone who has been up there on a multi-day excursion, are there any decent campgrounds nearby? What are some key trails to check out? Anything to avoid or know beforehand?

Thanks!

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I am thinking of planning a two-day trip up to Blue Mountain in Peekskill NY with my comrades sometime in the next few weeks. It seems like there are a lot of disjointed websites and Jamie Bogner's great map floating around.

For anyone who has been up there on a multi-day excursion, are there any decent campgrounds nearby? What are some key trails to check out? Anything to avoid or know beforehand?

Thanks!
Sorry, no help with the camping thing, I'm new around there, and have no idea.

Blue is pretty good, though if you really crank the miles it's not too hard to hit the majority of the goods there and in neighboring Depew Park in one day. A bike you can pedal is good - too big a bike there can be a suffer-fest. I'm about 45 minutes away, and ride there once or twice a month.

http://www.nycmtb.com/trails/Blue-Mtn-map-rev3.pdf

That's the most current map revision. Trails? Try to plan your route to use as little of the double track as possible, and if you do Debacle (fun - suggest doing so) be sure to take it from the end that splits off middle Stinger and finishes by Lost Bridge. Navigate the best you can - signage is not so hot in there at all.

When is the trip? If I'm free, I'd come on over and give a toure. What kind of riding are you looking for/what sort of bikes?

fatsinthecats.com and wmba.org might help more as well.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Blue Mountain is an amazing one-day ride, but I don't think there's really enough there for two entire days of riding. However, you're close enough to Ninham up in Putnam County for even more amazing technical XC, and I'd HIGHLY recommend Blue one day and Ninham the next.

I'd look into camping up at Fahnestock State Park in Putnam County. I don't think there's any camping close to Ninham or Blue, but Fahnestock is only about 30 minutes from either, and very scenic.

Check out Bikerag.com for a topo trail map of Ninham. If you're making the trip, it's definitely worth it...

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Blue Mountain is an amazing one-day ride, but I don't think there's really enough there for two entire days of riding. However, you're close enough to Ninham up in Putnam County for even more amazing technical XC, and I'd HIGHLY recommend Blue one day and Ninham the next.

I'd look into camping up at Fahnestock State Park in Putnam County. I don't think there's any camping close to Ninham or Blue, but Fahnestock is only about 30 minutes from either, and very scenic.

Check out Bikerag.com for a topo trail map of Ninham. If you're making the trip, it's definitely worth it...
What he said. Ninham would be an excellent second day of riding paired with Blue!

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
For blue, here's a route I put together for an epic last year. 25-30 miles with no backtracking, and almost all the trails in their "good" direction. ;)