Quantcast

BMX for cross training?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I got a sweet deal on a Redline XXX and used the excuse that I would ride and jump it during the winter for cross training and go back to my Stinky in the spring. Now that my wife is fooled, I wanted to see if that would work. I know that a lot of sweet riders came up from BMX, but it's been 10 years since I rode a 20". Could it be worth it to dirt jump on the 20" to tighten my skills and go back to the more forgiving 26" in the spring? Also, if I dig dirt jumping like I know I am going to), it will give me a reason to build a sweet Planet X in the Fall :)

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by jimmydean
I got a sweet deal on a Redline XXX and used the excuse that I would ride and jump it during the winter for cross training and go back to my Stinky in the spring. Now that my wife is fooled, I wanted to see if that would work. I know that a lot of sweet riders came up from BMX, but it's been 10 years since I rode a 20". Could it be worth it to dirt jump on the 20" to tighten my skills and go back to the more forgiving 26" in the spring? Also, if I dig dirt jumping like I know I am going to), it will give me a reason to build a sweet Planet X in the Fall :)
Every little bit of cross training helps...I say go for it.....D

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
seems odd, but makes sense when you think about it:
a large percentage of track sprinters (velodrome track) raced bmx in their early years
why's that? it helps greatly with leg speed, plus you learn the shoulder to shoulder bumping and bike handling

so go for it! :D

R

RaytheHammer

I totally agree. I think anykind of cross training (especially when your pedalling) will help with the regular riding. I have a BMX too and its been 20 years since.... for me! It's a blast ripping around on it too.