Quantcast

BMX for tall people? (24" of love and more!)

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Hi All,
Have been looking at the 24 inches of love thread.
I have been looking for a BMX to suit my 6' 2" 15 stone frame. Oh and at 37 I'm not as flexible as I used to be!
I looked at all BMX's including 24" cruisers but none felt big enough..until I tried a DMR transition (in street-park set up flavour) - this was suggested on here as a possible alternative.
What a bike! and I have made it into what I consider to be a proper adult BMX - I simply replaced the normal bars with S&M slam cruiser bars.
For me the geometry on cruisers just don't work - except perhaps on the new Sunday Cruisers.
My bike now feels like my 20" BMX used to when I was 12. Here are some piccies (hope the link works):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40464303@N08/?saved=1
Comments welcome.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Hi All,
Have been looking at the 24 inches of love thread.
I have been looking for a BMX to suit my 6' 2" 15 stone frame. Oh and at 37 I'm not as flexible as I used to be!
I looked at all BMX's including 24" cruisers but none felt big enough..until I tried a DMR transition (in street-park set up flavour) - this was suggested on here as a possible alternative.
What a bike! and I have made it into what I consider to be a proper adult BMX - I simply replaced the normal bars with S&M slam cruiser bars.
For me the geometry on cruisers just don't work - except perhaps on the new Sunday Cruisers.
My bike now feels like my 20" BMX used to when I was 12. Here are some piccies (hope the link works):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40464303@N08/?saved=1
Comments welcome.

yeah, you have come to the same conclusion as some of us (bigger bikes remind us of how bmx used to feel when we were 12!!!).... the stock 24" bmx cruisers you probably test rode (Mirraco? DK General Lee? Redline?) tend to come with 5.0 or 5.5"-ish rise bars. going up to 6.5" or 7" makes a big difference for a tall dude that doesnt want to hunch over as much.

you've effectively done the same thing on the DMR, but the added front end height is in the taller fork for the suspension corrected frame. you may end up finding if you start riding serious trails or bmx track that you want your bars back a little lower--it helps on nosediving, manualing etc. but for street cruising, a taller setup feels good for sure. and to each his own, it's just personal preference. good choice on the S&M bars!

there are a few tall one-piece mtb style bars out there.... Nemesis Project makes the 3.25" rise Weezy bars. they go great on 24" and 26" mtbmx bikes. Union Street, Atomlab, Blackmarket, and NS all make 3" rise bars.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
you should have been fine with a 21.5 or 22" toptube 20", with a pair of 8.25 bars and a topload, and a few spacers under the stem. the transition is good, albeit heavy and overbuilt, but is a good place to start.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Its weird how I have been gradually moving toward low frontends. The first time I tried to ride a Backtrail 24 with 5.25" bars I thought it was near impossible.

I have been waiting for some parts for my bike, so I have been riding the Backtrail for a couple weeks and it feel totally natural now. When I get on peopls 26's I feel like they have ape hangers on them.:confused:

I guess what you like and find important in a bike can change over time.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . I have been looking for a BMX to suit my 6' 2" 15 stone frame. . . . . I looked at all BMX's including 24" cruisers but none felt big enough.. . . . For me the geometry on cruisers just don't work - except perhaps . . . .

The Answer is Liquid :

"Liquid Bikes -- New Website!"

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230273

"my liquid bike"

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227386

Local kid Jordan on his bike (a 20")

. . . and Jordan on my Liquid 24":

Last edited:

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
You might well be right.
A couple of questions relate to this if you don't mind;
How long is the seat tube?
Does the Sunday 24 fork have a hole to fit a front brake - if so i guess I'd need a brake plate to fit one?
I'll ask Cru by e-mail if they export to the UK.
Many, many thanks for your help

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yo! Rad shots on the Liquid CMC.

iksmudge - seatpost on the Liquid is 9.15" center to center. And, no, the Sunday fork does not have a hole for a front brake.

Yeah, we can ship to the UK. Just PM me or email me if you want a price on that.